When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Steve Kean: His most memorable quotes
11:39am Monday 1st October 2012 in News
Steve Kean’s reign as Blackburn Rovers will be remembered for many reasons, one of which was the quotes that often drove a wedge between himself and the fans. From the wildly over-optimistic to the frankly ridiculous, ANDY CRYER looks back at his most infamous comments...
- “This is a new era. We have new owners, it is going to be an exciting time for the club. The owners have been disappointed and a little bit confused about the reaction from the press.” After being appointed in December 2010.
- “It looks like it has brought negative publicity but I don’t see why. I don’t think it has been done just for publicity. If it has fizzled out then it has, but we haven’t been chasing it just for publicity.” On the attempt to sign Ronaldinho in January 2011.
- “As soon as he says he wants to come back to England you have to throw your hat in the ring.” His hopes of signing David Beckham in January 2011.
- “We feel that Myles Anderson is a player with great potential as a late developer. He could be-come something of a Chris Smalling, who came through late in football and Myles has done the same.” Anderson is now on loan at Aldershot.
- “We can look forward and really kick on. We do have lift-off because this was important.” Kean after scraping survival on the last day of the 2010/11 season at Wolves.
- “Bruno – or Denis after Denis Irwin, the boys call him, because he never gives the ball away – will fill in that position and that is great for us.” After Kean’s words on August 8, 2011, Ribeiro did not play a game all season.
- “David’s always been put on a par with a young Rooney and he can certainly score all types of goals… it’s not just nice tap-ins, he can create a goal for himself, score from outside the box, chip them in, pass them in, smash them in.” Kean’s praise of David Goodwillie in August 2011 did not exactly come to fruition.
- “We are very close on Junior’s deal. We have agreed in principle a deal. It’s a long contract. We are confident it will be done and dusted in the next 24 hours.” Hoilett left a year later, having never signed the deal.
- “The most important thing is 99% of the fans didn't demonstrate.” Kean’s comments about rising discontent among Rovers support on September 17, 2011. One per cent? You are having a laugh?
- “I didn’t see the plane and I don’t know what it said.” After Rovers fans flew a plane over his head calling for ‘Kean out’ during a game against Chelsea in November 2011.
- “We won’t get relegated, absolutely no chance.” Kean’s ill-advised prediction in November 2011.
- “We are in a position where we have forfeited going through and having the chance to reach a cup final.” After Rovers’ Carling Cup loss to Cardiff City in November 29, 2011.
- “These are challenging times for the club and the owners, but I believe Venky’s are 100 per cent the right owners.” May 9 2012.
- “I won’t walk away.” September 2012.
Comments are closed on this article.