Stephen Cummings: Reaction says everything about Clarets

Lancashire Telegraph: Keith Treacy scores for the Clarets at Bournemouth Keith Treacy scores for the Clarets at Bournemouth

It speaks volumes about the season that Burnley are currently enjoying, that picking up a point after trailing at Bournemouth is somehow seen as a slightly disappointing result.

Yet there’s no reason why that should be the case. Keith Treacy’s opportunist strike in the 67th minute at the Cherries’ Goldsands Stadium grabbed Sean Dyche’s men a share of the spoils and made sure Burnley ended the weekend still in the automatic promotion slots.

Indeed, it seems more than a little churlish to try and take issue with a week which brought a four point return.

The bulk of those points came a week ago tonight, against a Bolton Wanderers side for whom the adjective “embattled” may well have been invented.

The manager has often stressed that it is important to be able to win football matches in different ways.

And last Tuesday night you could see exactly what he meant.

At the Reebok Stadium, Burnley were not allowed to replicate the pass and move game which saw them comprehensively dismantle a poor Millwall outfit a few days earlier.

This was a game which called for resilient defending, patience and – crucially – a large dollop of self-belief.

A lot of sides would have dug in and settled for a point; respectable enough in a local derby.

But the notion of compromise doesn’t seem to be in this team’s vocabulary.

So whereas Queens Park Rangers laboured to defeat at Derby 24 hours previously, the Clarets and Sam Vokes kept going and delivered the goods.

Who knows how important that might prove come season’s end?

That resilience was again in evidence on the south coast.

Burnley’s performance was below par and yet they still managed to come away from Dorset with something to show for their efforts – and that was the important thing.

If you can’t win then at least make sure you don’t lose is one of the oldest and most worn maxims in football, yet on Saturday it was perfectly apt.

Meanwhile, the next couple of weekends offer what might reasonably be described as stiff challenges, as Burnley lock horns with Nottingham Forest and Derby County on consecutive Saturdays at Turf Moor.

It’s easy to see these games as daunting.

But it’s also worth bearing in mind that every time a challenge has been presented to this group of players, they have risen to it. Who’s to say it will be any different when Forest and Derby pitch up?

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:19pm Tue 18 Feb 14

twquick says...

Under poor field conditions, without their best game and still a point at Bournemouth speaks volumes about this Burnley team. I really see them fighting hard and coming away with points from the next two matches. I really wish I could watch the Clarets play. A 4000 mile commute isn't in the cards though. GO CLARETS!!
Under poor field conditions, without their best game and still a point at Bournemouth speaks volumes about this Burnley team. I really see them fighting hard and coming away with points from the next two matches. I really wish I could watch the Clarets play. A 4000 mile commute isn't in the cards though. GO CLARETS!! twquick

3:02pm Tue 18 Feb 14

jim 2012 says...

you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky
you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky jim 2012

3:18pm Tue 18 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn says...

jim 2012 wrote:
you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky
17 points Mungo.

17 big, big points.
[quote][p][bold]jim 2012[/bold] wrote: you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky[/p][/quote]17 points Mungo. 17 big, big points. look.up.blackburn

3:25pm Tue 18 Feb 14

RobH2O says...

jim 2012 wrote:
you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky
Yep. And got 3 points. Bitter aren't you eh.
[quote][p][bold]jim 2012[/bold] wrote: you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky[/p][/quote]Yep. And got 3 points. Bitter aren't you eh. RobH2O

4:14pm Tue 18 Feb 14

daan says...

RobH2O wrote:
jim 2012 wrote:
you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky
Yep. And got 3 points. Bitter aren't you eh.
1 point, you got 1 point for that.
[quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jim 2012[/bold] wrote: you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky[/p][/quote]Yep. And got 3 points. Bitter aren't you eh.[/p][/quote]1 point, you got 1 point for that. daan

5:04pm Tue 18 Feb 14

twquick says...

jim 2012 wrote:
you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky
I wasn't playing anyone, but Burnley was. Had they been playing Barcelona, the Clarets would have been nailed into the ground like a railroad spike. Of course, every team in the Championship would have suffered humiliating defeat as well as most in the Premier League. So, there is no point to your statement. I am hugely pleased with the way the season has gone so far, and that very same thing eats you from within. I'll take that as a double win! GO CLARETS!!
[quote][p][bold]jim 2012[/bold] wrote: you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky[/p][/quote]I wasn't playing anyone, but Burnley was. Had they been playing Barcelona, the Clarets would have been nailed into the ground like a railroad spike. Of course, every team in the Championship would have suffered humiliating defeat as well as most in the Premier League. So, there is no point to your statement. I am hugely pleased with the way the season has gone so far, and that very same thing eats you from within. I'll take that as a double win! GO CLARETS!! twquick

5:46pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Pompey Claret says...

jim 2012 wrote:
you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky
Oh jimbo, you sound so cut up and bitter that we are where we are because the Clarets have played consistently throughout the season.

Better to pick up a point when things aren't quite happening on the pitch. No team can be right on top of there game every match. No team in this league will go unbeaten in a season and yes we will lose at some point that's fact . So when not playing well 1 point is better than none and keeps you in the hunt for promotion one way or the other.

The table doesn't lie and many managers, football pundits and those in the media have said "it's is no fluke that Burnley are where they are" .

So don't let your envy, jealousy and infatuation of BFC get too you. Oh sorry it has..........

UTC
[quote][p][bold]jim 2012[/bold] wrote: you were playing Bournemouth not Barcelona and got lucky[/p][/quote]Oh jimbo, you sound so cut up and bitter that we are where we are because the Clarets have played consistently throughout the season. Better to pick up a point when things aren't quite happening on the pitch. No team can be right on top of there game every match. No team in this league will go unbeaten in a season and yes we will lose at some point that's fact . So when not playing well 1 point is better than none and keeps you in the hunt for promotion one way or the other. The table doesn't lie and many managers, football pundits and those in the media have said "it's is no fluke that Burnley are where they are" . So don't let your envy, jealousy and infatuation of BFC get too you. Oh sorry it has.......... UTC Pompey Claret

6:50pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Cyprusblue says...

As a lifelong dyed in the wool blue it guts me to see whats happened to the Rovers. A well run solid club that was a founder of the premier league and spent 18 of the following 20 years in the prem. uncle Jack gave us a massive leg up and there's no denying it. From his death in 2000 the Rovers stayed there on merit until the cowboys and indians rolled in to town.

Burnley are a solid well run club and where they are on merit. Yes it's hard to take but every Burnley are where they are coz they deserve it and i fully expect you to acheive automatic promotion. If it happens it won't be a fluke, it will be well deserved. Of course i hope it all goes pear shaped for you but i doubt it. I'd wish you good luck but i'm sure you wouldn't expect it anymore than i could wish it. Credit where credits due to Dyche and his team.
See you in a couple of weeks for your bi annual heartbreak.
As a lifelong dyed in the wool blue it guts me to see whats happened to the Rovers. A well run solid club that was a founder of the premier league and spent 18 of the following 20 years in the prem. uncle Jack gave us a massive leg up and there's no denying it. From his death in 2000 the Rovers stayed there on merit until the cowboys and indians rolled in to town. Burnley are a solid well run club and where they are on merit. Yes it's hard to take but every Burnley are where they are coz they deserve it and i fully expect you to acheive automatic promotion. If it happens it won't be a fluke, it will be well deserved. Of course i hope it all goes pear shaped for you but i doubt it. I'd wish you good luck but i'm sure you wouldn't expect it anymore than i could wish it. Credit where credits due to Dyche and his team. See you in a couple of weeks for your bi annual heartbreak. Cyprusblue

8:59pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Pompey Claret says...

Cyprusblue wrote:
As a lifelong dyed in the wool blue it guts me to see whats happened to the Rovers. A well run solid club that was a founder of the premier league and spent 18 of the following 20 years in the prem. uncle Jack gave us a massive leg up and there's no denying it. From his death in 2000 the Rovers stayed there on merit until the cowboys and indians rolled in to town.

Burnley are a solid well run club and where they are on merit. Yes it's hard to take but every Burnley are where they are coz they deserve it and i fully expect you to acheive automatic promotion. If it happens it won't be a fluke, it will be well deserved. Of course i hope it all goes pear shaped for you but i doubt it. I'd wish you good luck but i'm sure you wouldn't expect it anymore than i could wish it. Credit where credits due to Dyche and his team.
See you in a couple of weeks for your bi annual heartbreak.
Cyprusblue fair comment.
[quote][p][bold]Cyprusblue[/bold] wrote: As a lifelong dyed in the wool blue it guts me to see whats happened to the Rovers. A well run solid club that was a founder of the premier league and spent 18 of the following 20 years in the prem. uncle Jack gave us a massive leg up and there's no denying it. From his death in 2000 the Rovers stayed there on merit until the cowboys and indians rolled in to town. Burnley are a solid well run club and where they are on merit. Yes it's hard to take but every Burnley are where they are coz they deserve it and i fully expect you to acheive automatic promotion. If it happens it won't be a fluke, it will be well deserved. Of course i hope it all goes pear shaped for you but i doubt it. I'd wish you good luck but i'm sure you wouldn't expect it anymore than i could wish it. Credit where credits due to Dyche and his team. See you in a couple of weeks for your bi annual heartbreak.[/p][/quote]Cyprusblue fair comment. Pompey Claret

10:53pm Tue 18 Feb 14

speedie_rovers_legend says...

Nice one derby, now that, s a good away win,.
Nice one derby, now that, s a good away win,. speedie_rovers_legend

10:58pm Tue 18 Feb 14

speedie_rovers_legend says...

All these experts keep trying to say this that and it was a good result, it was not good , you should be hammering teams like Bournemouth, a point is poor.
Look at derby forget about qpr till they beat you in the play offs.
All these experts keep trying to say this that and it was a good result, it was not good , you should be hammering teams like Bournemouth, a point is poor. Look at derby forget about qpr till they beat you in the play offs. speedie_rovers_legend

11:38pm Tue 18 Feb 14

twquick says...

speedie_rovers_legen
d
wrote:
All these experts keep trying to say this that and it was a good result, it was not good , you should be hammering teams like Bournemouth, a point is poor.
Look at derby forget about qpr till they beat you in the play offs.
It's when a team doesn't have its best game that you find out what they are made of. Under poor field conditions and on the road Burnley turned a poor performance into a point. A year ago this was a loss. We are looking at Derby and QPR and both are below in the table. I would think you would have more interest in Blackburn than Burnley. 'Sup wit dat?
[quote][p][bold]speedie_rovers_legen d[/bold] wrote: All these experts keep trying to say this that and it was a good result, it was not good , you should be hammering teams like Bournemouth, a point is poor. Look at derby forget about qpr till they beat you in the play offs.[/p][/quote]It's when a team doesn't have its best game that you find out what they are made of. Under poor field conditions and on the road Burnley turned a poor performance into a point. A year ago this was a loss. We are looking at Derby and QPR and both are below in the table. I would think you would have more interest in Blackburn than Burnley. 'Sup wit dat? twquick

11:57pm Tue 18 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn. says...

speedie_rovers_legen
d
wrote:
Nice one derby, now that, s a good away win,.
Nice one Wigan, stretch the gap over those horse fingerers.

10th place and dropping faster than yer mam's drawers on a Friday night.
[quote][p][bold]speedie_rovers_legen d[/bold] wrote: Nice one derby, now that, s a good away win,.[/p][/quote]Nice one Wigan, stretch the gap over those horse fingerers. 10th place and dropping faster than yer mam's drawers on a Friday night. look.up.blackburn.

8:43am Wed 19 Feb 14

houseclaret says...

speedie_rovers_legen
d
wrote:
Nice one derby, now that, s a good away win,.
We won 2-0 at Wednesday, not 1-0, not to mention our 3-0 win at Derby. Your point is??
[quote][p][bold]speedie_rovers_legen d[/bold] wrote: Nice one derby, now that, s a good away win,.[/p][/quote]We won 2-0 at Wednesday, not 1-0, not to mention our 3-0 win at Derby. Your point is?? houseclaret

8:47am Wed 19 Feb 14

houseclaret says...

Oh, and not to forget that we haven't lost a single game to anybody else in the top six: P:6 W:3 D:3 L:0. Now THEY are results. Nobody else in the top 6 (yes the top 6) can boast a record like that!!!
Oh, and not to forget that we haven't lost a single game to anybody else in the top six: P:6 W:3 D:3 L:0. Now THEY are results. Nobody else in the top 6 (yes the top 6) can boast a record like that!!! houseclaret

8:58am Wed 19 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn says...

speedie_rovers_legen
d
wrote:
All these experts keep trying to say this that and it was a good result, it was not good , you should be hammering teams like Bournemouth, a point is poor.
Look at derby forget about qpr till they beat you in the play offs.
We beat Derby away.
We have yet to play them at home.
We haven't been beat at home in a year.
[quote][p][bold]speedie_rovers_legen d[/bold] wrote: All these experts keep trying to say this that and it was a good result, it was not good , you should be hammering teams like Bournemouth, a point is poor. Look at derby forget about qpr till they beat you in the play offs.[/p][/quote]We beat Derby away. We have yet to play them at home. We haven't been beat at home in a year. look.up.blackburn

9:57am Wed 19 Feb 14

BubblePopFC_11K_Fans says...

The reason a draw with Bournemouth is seen as a let down is because you wobbly heads have become delusional after two wins against teams with the worst form in the division, they being Millwall, Bolton and Blackpool. All being on an equal PANTS footing.
So any team higher than 4th from bottom is a draw banker for you surrender monkeys.
Have you beaten anyone in the top half since your slump started?
Give yer heads a wobble yer two easy games have gone. Thats why you looked second best against the mighty Bournemouth who we dispatched with ease.
Roll on march then we can finish you off as well, the sight of all you toothless gurners blubbing into your pot noodles will be amazing
T'up Rovers
The reason a draw with Bournemouth is seen as a let down is because you wobbly heads have become delusional after two wins against teams with the worst form in the division, they being Millwall, Bolton and Blackpool. All being on an equal PANTS footing. So any team higher than 4th from bottom is a draw banker for you surrender monkeys. Have you beaten anyone in the top half since your slump started? Give yer heads a wobble yer two easy games have gone. Thats why you looked second best against the mighty Bournemouth who we dispatched with ease. Roll on march then we can finish you off as well, the sight of all you toothless gurners blubbing into your pot noodles will be amazing T'up Rovers BubblePopFC_11K_Fans

12:21pm Wed 19 Feb 14

speedie_rovers_legend says...

Yeah were having a play off party when bsratds stat downroll on may gonna have a rite laff whenyou monkey boys f it up
Yeah were having a play off party when bsratds stat downroll on may gonna have a rite laff whenyou monkey boys f it up speedie_rovers_legend

12:23pm Wed 19 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn says...

BubblePopFC_11K_Fans wrote:
The reason a draw with Bournemouth is seen as a let down is because you wobbly heads have become delusional after two wins against teams with the worst form in the division, they being Millwall, Bolton and Blackpool. All being on an equal PANTS footing.
So any team higher than 4th from bottom is a draw banker for you surrender monkeys.
Have you beaten anyone in the top half since your slump started?
Give yer heads a wobble yer two easy games have gone. Thats why you looked second best against the mighty Bournemouth who we dispatched with ease.
Roll on march then we can finish you off as well, the sight of all you toothless gurners blubbing into your pot noodles will be amazing
T'up Rovers
17 points.
[quote][p][bold]BubblePopFC_11K_Fans[/bold] wrote: The reason a draw with Bournemouth is seen as a let down is because you wobbly heads have become delusional after two wins against teams with the worst form in the division, they being Millwall, Bolton and Blackpool. All being on an equal PANTS footing. So any team higher than 4th from bottom is a draw banker for you surrender monkeys. Have you beaten anyone in the top half since your slump started? Give yer heads a wobble yer two easy games have gone. Thats why you looked second best against the mighty Bournemouth who we dispatched with ease. Roll on march then we can finish you off as well, the sight of all you toothless gurners blubbing into your pot noodles will be amazing T'up Rovers[/p][/quote]17 points. look.up.blackburn

2:50pm Wed 19 Feb 14

houseclaret says...

BubblePopFC_11K_Fans wrote:
The reason a draw with Bournemouth is seen as a let down is because you wobbly heads have become delusional after two wins against teams with the worst form in the division, they being Millwall, Bolton and Blackpool. All being on an equal PANTS footing.
So any team higher than 4th from bottom is a draw banker for you surrender monkeys.
Have you beaten anyone in the top half since your slump started?
Give yer heads a wobble yer two easy games have gone. Thats why you looked second best against the mighty Bournemouth who we dispatched with ease.
Roll on march then we can finish you off as well, the sight of all you toothless gurners blubbing into your pot noodles will be amazing
T'up Rovers
What "slump" is that exactly? You mean the 9 game unbeaten run we are currently on? Every team has "off" days, you would know more about that than most. The fact is if we can get two wins from the next two, admittedly tough, home games we will be in a fantastic position. We haven't lost at home for nigh on a year and away from home we have drawn with Forest and hammered Derby. We also beat Forest at home in the league cup (and we also fielded a less than full strength side before anyone brings up the Forest reserves argument). QPR are in a slump not us, but I don't see any of the jealous ones mentioning that.
Before trying, with devastating failure, to put down the amazing things happening at Burnley it would be a good idea to have a serious look at what is happening at your own club. Bowyer says after every failure "We take the positives from that one". He will be a footballing genius at the end of the season at the rate you're going.
It's getting a little tiresome seeing jealous ones coming on here with their wish lists but the league don't lie, not 30 games in it doesn't. Best of luck at Reading in your last chance of having a sniff of the play offs. Reading, the team who stuffed QPR on their own ground last time out. Thanks for giving me a laugh though.
[quote][p][bold]BubblePopFC_11K_Fans[/bold] wrote: The reason a draw with Bournemouth is seen as a let down is because you wobbly heads have become delusional after two wins against teams with the worst form in the division, they being Millwall, Bolton and Blackpool. All being on an equal PANTS footing. So any team higher than 4th from bottom is a draw banker for you surrender monkeys. Have you beaten anyone in the top half since your slump started? Give yer heads a wobble yer two easy games have gone. Thats why you looked second best against the mighty Bournemouth who we dispatched with ease. Roll on march then we can finish you off as well, the sight of all you toothless gurners blubbing into your pot noodles will be amazing T'up Rovers[/p][/quote]What "slump" is that exactly? You mean the 9 game unbeaten run we are currently on? Every team has "off" days, you would know more about that than most. The fact is if we can get two wins from the next two, admittedly tough, home games we will be in a fantastic position. We haven't lost at home for nigh on a year and away from home we have drawn with Forest and hammered Derby. We also beat Forest at home in the league cup (and we also fielded a less than full strength side before anyone brings up the Forest reserves argument). QPR are in a slump not us, but I don't see any of the jealous ones mentioning that. Before trying, with devastating failure, to put down the amazing things happening at Burnley it would be a good idea to have a serious look at what is happening at your own club. Bowyer says after every failure "We take the positives from that one". He will be a footballing genius at the end of the season at the rate you're going. It's getting a little tiresome seeing jealous ones coming on here with their wish lists but the league don't lie, not 30 games in it doesn't. Best of luck at Reading in your last chance of having a sniff of the play offs. Reading, the team who stuffed QPR on their own ground last time out. Thanks for giving me a laugh though. houseclaret

3:30pm Wed 19 Feb 14

u owe u owe says...

speedie_rovers_legen
d
wrote:
Yeah were having a play off party when bsratds stat downroll on may gonna have a rite laff whenyou monkey boys f it up
What? in English please, you uneducated baboon
[quote][p][bold]speedie_rovers_legen d[/bold] wrote: Yeah were having a play off party when bsratds stat downroll on may gonna have a rite laff whenyou monkey boys f it up[/p][/quote]What? in English please, you uneducated baboon u owe u owe

4:33pm Wed 19 Feb 14

Chris P Bacon says...

BubblePopFC_11K_Fans wrote:
The reason a draw with Bournemouth is seen as a let down is because you wobbly heads have become delusional after two wins against teams with the worst form in the division, they being Millwall, Bolton and Blackpool. All being on an equal PANTS footing.
So any team higher than 4th from bottom is a draw banker for you surrender monkeys.
Have you beaten anyone in the top half since your slump started?
Give yer heads a wobble yer two easy games have gone. Thats why you looked second best against the mighty Bournemouth who we dispatched with ease.
Roll on march then we can finish you off as well, the sight of all you toothless gurners blubbing into your pot noodles will be amazing
T'up Rovers
'Seen as a let-down' by whom, exactly? Not you, you invertebrate, yellow-bellied serial name-changer as being a PNG, you don't count. To think you can come back on and be seen as someone else when you don't possess the teensiest inkling of how you might get away with it (your Turf Moor Tom being particularly and obviously ridiculous) shows you up for the world-class moron you really are.

And as you are a real-life 'cooler' and every single thing you've confidently predicted has gone catastrophically wrong, it please us no end when you tell us what's going to happen. Vokes and Ings were going; Dyche had signed a contract at Crystal Palace (and numerous other clubs, according to you); Burnley hadn't faced anyone in the top half, then top ten, then top six, now knuck fows what wiggle room you've got left; how have you done with all those magnificent, Nostrodamus-like predictions, Sir?
[quote][p][bold]BubblePopFC_11K_Fans[/bold] wrote: The reason a draw with Bournemouth is seen as a let down is because you wobbly heads have become delusional after two wins against teams with the worst form in the division, they being Millwall, Bolton and Blackpool. All being on an equal PANTS footing. So any team higher than 4th from bottom is a draw banker for you surrender monkeys. Have you beaten anyone in the top half since your slump started? Give yer heads a wobble yer two easy games have gone. Thats why you looked second best against the mighty Bournemouth who we dispatched with ease. Roll on march then we can finish you off as well, the sight of all you toothless gurners blubbing into your pot noodles will be amazing T'up Rovers[/p][/quote]'Seen as a let-down' by whom, exactly? Not you, you invertebrate, yellow-bellied serial name-changer as being a PNG, you don't count. To think you can come back on and be seen as someone else when you don't possess the teensiest inkling of how you might get away with it (your Turf Moor Tom being particularly and obviously ridiculous) shows you up for the world-class moron you really are. And as you are a real-life 'cooler' and every single thing you've confidently predicted has gone catastrophically wrong, it please us no end when you tell us what's going to happen. Vokes and Ings were going; Dyche had signed a contract at Crystal Palace (and numerous other clubs, according to you); Burnley hadn't faced anyone in the top half, then top ten, then top six, now knuck fows what wiggle room you've got left; how have you done with all those magnificent, Nostrodamus-like predictions, Sir? Chris P Bacon

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree