BRILLIANT Barnoldswick surged to the top of the Ribblesdale League on a soggy Saturday as their mass mopping up of Victory Park afforded them the chance to shatter the winning start of Settle.

Barlick sent out a message on Thursday wanting volunteers to help them get the game on – and that hard work paid off as Matt Nutter took his men to the sole summit.

Professional Imran Khalid claimed 4-59 and Faisal Hussain 4-55 as they bowled Settle out for 138 despite 58 from Thomas Strickland.

In reply Barlick lost Liam Bedford and Abdul Saddique cheaply but Khalid (20) and Umar Saddique (44) seemed to be leading them home. But Settle caused a mid-innings wobble and when Luke Hodgson fell for 26, it was game on.

However, John Pickup made 15 not out and Barlick got home with three wickets in hand.

The shining star of the day was Read professional Jordan Clark as he ended Clitheroe’s 100 per cent start to the season thanks to a sensational innings in the derby at Whalley Road.

The young Lancashire star clattered 12 sixes and seven fours on his way to 144 not out as Read piled up 269-4 from their 45 overs – and Clitheroe could do little more in reply than settle for 111-7 as they slipped from joint top.

Padiham claimed a first win of the season as they battled hard to claim a thriller at Whalley.

Home skipper Richard Palmer battled hard with the bat to top score with 30 as his men were all out for 104. Steve Meehan claimed 6-58 and pro Chris Holt picked up 4-42 as they bowled unchanged.

Padiham’s reply was smothered by excellent bowling and fielding from Whalley but Callum Clarke seemed to be taking them home.

But when he was on 33 he was run out by Palmer and Padiham were rocking and it went down to the last ball as Kurt Robinson and Tom Mustoe scampered a single from a bye to win.

Salesbury claimed a first win of the season as they edged past Edenfield at Gincroft Lane, while Baxenden’s lower order saw them home in a good game at Ribblesdale Wanderers.

Lee Riley claimed six wickets as Bash restricted Wanderers to 143-8 but when Andy Caunce’s men were reduced to 71-5 it seemed as though it was game up.

But David Mills held his nerve to see his side over the line with three wickets in hand.

The matches between Great Harwood and Earby and Oswaldtwistle Immanuel and Cherry Tree were abandoned without a bowl being bowled.

The dreadful weather ruled the roost yesterday as rain dominated.

With East Lancashire seemingly stuck under a permanent rain cloud, the only real hope for any action was Great Harwood’s clash with Ribblesdale Wanderers, which was being played at St Annes’ Vernon Road.

But that game – like all the others – was called off without a ball being bowled as the weather took complete hold across the Red Rose county.