An injury-time winner from Andy Carroll seals three points for Liverpool in a dramatic 3-2 clash at Ewood Park tonight.

Two early goals from Maxi Rodriguez and a return two from Yakubu saw a battling fixture. But with the Nigerian scuppering one of two penalties given, Rovers will surely rue the error from their usually sure-fire striker.

Things got off to a dramatic start at Ewood tonight with Blackburn quickly finding themselves on the backfoot to an advancing Liverpool.

Despite early trades in play, a brilliantly judged clearance from Skrtel was met by a breaking Bellamy on the right. The Welshman soon broke into a sprint as a two-on-two opened up.

With Maxi Rodriguez dashing to meet the ensuing ball across the box, all it took from the Argentinian was a simple touch to give the Reds the lead.

Only two minutes later he earned his second. A roving Shelvey was allowed to advance too far on goal and whilst Robinson saved his attempt on goal, the ball was picked up by Rodriguez yet again for an easy second inside fifteen minutes.

As Blackburn looked defeated already, an opportunity soon arose for the home side when a terrible backpass from Jon Flanagan was picked up by Hoilett.

With the Canadian now goalbound, Liverpool keeper Alexander Doni’s late confrontation gave Rovers a much-needed penalty and a sending off for the keeper.

Flanagan was swiftly subbed in place of substitute keeper Brad Jones as the Yak lined up to take the spot kick. But with an unusually-lazy strike from the forward, it made an easy save for Jones to keep Liverpool in their two-goal lead.

Things soon changed however as Blackburn began to take advantage of the Reds’ ten men. With the away side now sitting back, Rovers were beginning to gather pace and press for their opener.

This soon came as Rovers were handed a freekick after Bellamy gave away a hand ball. With Dunn taking, Yakubu soon made up for his foul penalty with a strong header into the back of the net.

As the two sides headed in at half-time, Blackburn were looking like they could bring the fight back to Liverpool in the second period.

As play resumed, an early scare from Carroll kept Blackburn on their toes whilst Robinson made a solid save from a Skrtel header soon after.

As the two sides battled it out for possession, Rovers were soon handed a golden chance in the form of yet another penalty.

Goalkeepers weren’t faring well tonight as Brad Jones soon gave away yet another spot kick against Liverpool. With his goalkick clattering against an naggling Yakubu, Jones appeared to push the striker to the floor as he fought to bring the ball under control.

With the keeper given a yellow, Yakubu soon rectified his earlier spotkick with another goal for Rovers sixty minutes in.

Goals now level, Blackburn were really beginning to press hard for the lead as more chances started to appear.

Opting to press the attack, Kean soon switched Formica for Ruben Rochina. The change soon looked to pay off as chances from Hoilett and Grant Hanley almost gained the lead for Blackburn.

The home side looked like they might even get a helping hand as Carroll made a back-header bound for goal from Robinson’s goal kick. However, Brad Jones reacted quickly to prevent the own goal tipping Blackburn in front.

Liverpool continued to look edgy as play entered the final ten minutes; often finding themselves forced to make rash clearances against the Rovers onslaught.

Amid screams by Blackburn fans for a final goal to earn the win, Liverpool were soon awarded a freekick after a stray elbow from Hanley caught Carroll mid-air.

Whilst the setpiece was sent sailing over the bar, another ball from the Liverpool backline was suddenly converted into an injury time shocker for Liverpool, as Agger tipped the ball onto the head of Andy Carroll for a 90th minute goal.

With the shock goal now leaving the scores at 3-2, Blackburn could do little to prevent the Reds stealing all three points in the dying minutes.