FULL-TIME: Burnley 0, Middlesbrough 1

Kieran Trippier clears the danger on his return to the Burnley first team

Kieran Trippier clears the danger on his return to the Burnley first team

First published in Sport
Last updated

BURNLEY'S promotion party has been put on hold, after suffering back-to-back home defeats for the first time in over two years.

The Clarets went into the game knowing that a win for them and anything but a win for Derby County would secure their place in the Premier League.

But despite bossing both halves, and creating a host of chances, Burnley - beaten last time at Turf Moor by leaders Leicester City - could not find the back of the net.

Instead, Middlesbrough broke from a Clarets corner and scored through Jacob Butterfield.

It was enough to make Middlesbrough the only team to do the double over Sean Dyche's side this season, despite ending the game with 10 men after Daniel Ayala's late sending off.

It also reduced the gap to second place to eight points, after Derby County came back from behind to beat nine-man Huddersfield Town 3-1.

But Burnley will be mystified as to how they did not manage at least an equaliser.

Practically all of their 10 outfield players had chances to score, with goalkeeper Tom Heaton even going up for a late corner.

Danny Ings sent an early volley over from the fit-again Kieran Trippier's brilliant ball, Michael Kightly then saw a header bounce off the bar, with Ashley Barnes nodding over the rebound.

Ings stung Dimi Konstantopoulos' hands in between a couple of Boro chances, before Burnley were required to scramble a corner clear after Danny Graham's shot was saved by Heaton, who went on to tip over from Jacob Butterfield in a goalless first half.

Gary Parkinson, a favourite of both clubs, made an emotional Turf Moor return with his family as the Clarets' guest of honour, coming out to a terrific reception at half-time, accompanied by his old team-mate and fellow Wembley play-off hero David Eyres.

It was his boyhood team who took the lead through Butterfield on the break six minutes into the second half.

The Clarets had started on the front foot, but after failing to capitalise on a corner they allowed Boro to counter and Butterfield finished the move emphatically.

Lee Tomlin bent Another chance wide, but after that there was a succession of chances for Burnley, not to mention a host of failed penalty appeals.

Jason Shackell had a header cleared off the line, Barnes' header was tipped away, Trippier had a free kick destined for the top corner saved, David Jones had a free kick tipped over, substitute Ross Wallace brought a good save from Konstantopoulos, Michael Duff had a shot from a corner blocked behind and Ben Mee glanced a header from the follow-up flag kick wide.

Try as they might it would just not go in.

The promotion push rolls on to the Good Friday game at Blackpool.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:52pm Sat 12 Apr 14

DoggydogNo1 says...

Oh dear! The ship is shaking abit and a tuff game at blackpool to follow!
Oh dear! The ship is shaking abit and a tuff game at blackpool to follow! DoggydogNo1
  • Score: -6

6:01pm Sat 12 Apr 14

look.up.blackburn. says...

Just one of those games. We hit them with everything but they stood up to it. Would have been nice to wrap it up today but we've got Blackpool and then Wigan next weekend and hopefully a promotion party to look forward to. Another win should do it.

Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers once again leak 3 goals and fail to win against a poor Sheff Weds side. Play-offs are now just a distant dream for the few remaining believers. Bowyer has shown himself up today in a big way.
Just one of those games. We hit them with everything but they stood up to it. Would have been nice to wrap it up today but we've got Blackpool and then Wigan next weekend and hopefully a promotion party to look forward to. Another win should do it. Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers once again leak 3 goals and fail to win against a poor Sheff Weds side. Play-offs are now just a distant dream for the few remaining believers. Bowyer has shown himself up today in a big way. look.up.blackburn.
  • Score: 2

6:11pm Sat 12 Apr 14

masher50 says...

How, or why, we didn't win that I'll never know. One of the most one sided games I've seen at the Turf for a very, very long time. But, I guess s**t happens. Sooner be 8 points clear with 4 to play than playing catch up like Derby & QPR. Ah well, onward and upward.
How, or why, we didn't win that I'll never know. One of the most one sided games I've seen at the Turf for a very, very long time. But, I guess s**t happens. Sooner be 8 points clear with 4 to play than playing catch up like Derby & QPR. Ah well, onward and upward. masher50
  • Score: 5

6:42pm Sat 12 Apr 14

RobH2O says...

Well, the headlines lead with Rovers draw at Wednesday. The promotion chasing Clarets listed as second. Oh and the headline has it's usual thumb-nail speed link to Rovers stories. We don't have one of course.
Well, the headlines lead with Rovers draw at Wednesday. The promotion chasing Clarets listed as second. Oh and the headline has it's usual thumb-nail speed link to Rovers stories. We don't have one of course. RobH2O
  • Score: 4

6:43pm Sat 12 Apr 14

bburnrover says...

I hope you go up you deserve it and yes we do need a new manager as our season is over.
I hope you go up you deserve it and yes we do need a new manager as our season is over. bburnrover
  • Score: 2

6:54pm Sat 12 Apr 14

DoggydogNo1 says...

Watch out Derby! Your prem record is about to be beaten by Burnley next season!
Watch out Derby! Your prem record is about to be beaten by Burnley next season! DoggydogNo1
  • Score: -5

6:57pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Lancs - pensioner says...

Keep your nerve, you will get there, can't believe I've said that.

The real LP.
Keep your nerve, you will get there, can't believe I've said that. The real LP. Lancs - pensioner
  • Score: 12

7:23pm Sat 12 Apr 14

twquick says...

Can't say enough about the Greek in goal. He single handedly kept a clean sheet for Boro. Disappointing but just a bumpin the road. GO CLARETS!
Can't say enough about the Greek in goal. He single handedly kept a clean sheet for Boro. Disappointing but just a bumpin the road. GO CLARETS! twquick
  • Score: 10

7:42pm Sat 12 Apr 14

claytoner85 says...

look.up.blackburn. wrote:
Just one of those games. We hit them with everything but they stood up to it. Would have been nice to wrap it up today but we've got Blackpool and then Wigan next weekend and hopefully a promotion party to look forward to. Another win should do it.

Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers once again leak 3 goals and fail to win against a poor Sheff Weds side. Play-offs are now just a distant dream for the few remaining believers. Bowyer has shown himself up today in a big way.
Sad man. Commenting on a Rovers score on your own teams page. Couldn't be anymore obsessed.

Back to the result though I feel you were very unlucky today, over 70% possession and 20 shots and you somehow lost it 1-0. Middlesbrough are a quality side though, aren't they?
[quote][p][bold]look.up.blackburn.[/bold] wrote: Just one of those games. We hit them with everything but they stood up to it. Would have been nice to wrap it up today but we've got Blackpool and then Wigan next weekend and hopefully a promotion party to look forward to. Another win should do it. Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers once again leak 3 goals and fail to win against a poor Sheff Weds side. Play-offs are now just a distant dream for the few remaining believers. Bowyer has shown himself up today in a big way.[/p][/quote]Sad man. Commenting on a Rovers score on your own teams page. Couldn't be anymore obsessed. Back to the result though I feel you were very unlucky today, over 70% possession and 20 shots and you somehow lost it 1-0. Middlesbrough are a quality side though, aren't they? claytoner85
  • Score: 1

8:48pm Sat 12 Apr 14

petefoto says...

Last watched the Clarets with my Dad 50 years ago. So really wanted a win today. Keep cool, stay relaxed and we will go up. Probably a bit tense today and the goals didn't come along crowd pressure and expectations.
Let's go you Clarets and sort out Blackpool away in a calm and calculated game
.C'mon you Clarets. You can do it.!!!!!!
Last watched the Clarets with my Dad 50 years ago. So really wanted a win today. Keep cool, stay relaxed and we will go up. Probably a bit tense today and the goals didn't come along crowd pressure and expectations. Let's go you Clarets and sort out Blackpool away in a calm and calculated game .C'mon you Clarets. You can do it.!!!!!! petefoto
  • Score: 6

9:44pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Forever Blue says...

Not good enough never was wing and and prayer now to till end of season
Not good enough never was wing and and prayer now to till end of season Forever Blue
  • Score: -6

12:43am Sun 13 Apr 14

Dukes says...

twquick wrote:
Can't say enough about the Greek in goal. He single handedly kept a clean sheet for Boro. Disappointing but just a bumpin the road. GO CLARETS!
well said.
[quote][p][bold]twquick[/bold] wrote: Can't say enough about the Greek in goal. He single handedly kept a clean sheet for Boro. Disappointing but just a bumpin the road. GO CLARETS![/p][/quote]well said. Dukes
  • Score: 5

10:23am Sun 13 Apr 14

RobH2O says...

Forever Blue wrote:
Not good enough never was wing and and prayer now to till end of season
"Never was (good enough)" Really? Before this defeat, 83 points from 41 games. That's 2 points per game (effectively). If we extend this "never good enough" performance over the last 4 games, that's 8 points, totalling 91 points.

We need 5 points rom 4 games, assuming Derby win every game. For us to get this number of point,s our performance levels have got to fall by 35%.

So, "never any good" can go downwards and we still go upwards. That's to the Premiership Forever Blue, a level you will never see again.
[quote][p][bold]Forever Blue[/bold] wrote: Not good enough never was wing and and prayer now to till end of season[/p][/quote]"Never was (good enough)" Really? Before this defeat, 83 points from 41 games. That's 2 points per game (effectively). If we extend this "never good enough" performance over the last 4 games, that's 8 points, totalling 91 points. We need 5 points rom 4 games, assuming Derby win every game. For us to get this number of point,s our performance levels have got to fall by 35%. So, "never any good" can go downwards and we still go upwards. That's to the Premiership Forever Blue, a level you will never see again. RobH2O
  • Score: 3

10:32am Sun 13 Apr 14

RobH2O says...

claytoner85 wrote:
look.up.blackburn. wrote:
Just one of those games. We hit them with everything but they stood up to it. Would have been nice to wrap it up today but we've got Blackpool and then Wigan next weekend and hopefully a promotion party to look forward to. Another win should do it.

Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers once again leak 3 goals and fail to win against a poor Sheff Weds side. Play-offs are now just a distant dream for the few remaining believers. Bowyer has shown himself up today in a big way.
Sad man. Commenting on a Rovers score on your own teams page. Couldn't be anymore obsessed.

Back to the result though I feel you were very unlucky today, over 70% possession and 20 shots and you somehow lost it 1-0. Middlesbrough are a quality side though, aren't they?
Man from Clayton, stick to Accrington Stanley who are your local side. Following Rovers = football tart.
[quote][p][bold]claytoner85[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]look.up.blackburn.[/bold] wrote: Just one of those games. We hit them with everything but they stood up to it. Would have been nice to wrap it up today but we've got Blackpool and then Wigan next weekend and hopefully a promotion party to look forward to. Another win should do it. Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers once again leak 3 goals and fail to win against a poor Sheff Weds side. Play-offs are now just a distant dream for the few remaining believers. Bowyer has shown himself up today in a big way.[/p][/quote]Sad man. Commenting on a Rovers score on your own teams page. Couldn't be anymore obsessed. Back to the result though I feel you were very unlucky today, over 70% possession and 20 shots and you somehow lost it 1-0. Middlesbrough are a quality side though, aren't they?[/p][/quote]Man from Clayton, stick to Accrington Stanley who are your local side. Following Rovers = football tart. RobH2O
  • Score: 3

11:19am Sun 13 Apr 14

claytoner85 says...

RobH2O wrote:
claytoner85 wrote:
look.up.blackburn. wrote:
Just one of those games. We hit them with everything but they stood up to it. Would have been nice to wrap it up today but we've got Blackpool and then Wigan next weekend and hopefully a promotion party to look forward to. Another win should do it.

Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers once again leak 3 goals and fail to win against a poor Sheff Weds side. Play-offs are now just a distant dream for the few remaining believers. Bowyer has shown himself up today in a big way.
Sad man. Commenting on a Rovers score on your own teams page. Couldn't be anymore obsessed.

Back to the result though I feel you were very unlucky today, over 70% possession and 20 shots and you somehow lost it 1-0. Middlesbrough are a quality side though, aren't they?
Man from Clayton, stick to Accrington Stanley who are your local side. Following Rovers = football tart.
My username bears no relevance to where I live or where I am from.
[quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]claytoner85[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]look.up.blackburn.[/bold] wrote: Just one of those games. We hit them with everything but they stood up to it. Would have been nice to wrap it up today but we've got Blackpool and then Wigan next weekend and hopefully a promotion party to look forward to. Another win should do it. Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers once again leak 3 goals and fail to win against a poor Sheff Weds side. Play-offs are now just a distant dream for the few remaining believers. Bowyer has shown himself up today in a big way.[/p][/quote]Sad man. Commenting on a Rovers score on your own teams page. Couldn't be anymore obsessed. Back to the result though I feel you were very unlucky today, over 70% possession and 20 shots and you somehow lost it 1-0. Middlesbrough are a quality side though, aren't they?[/p][/quote]Man from Clayton, stick to Accrington Stanley who are your local side. Following Rovers = football tart.[/p][/quote]My username bears no relevance to where I live or where I am from. claytoner85
  • Score: -1

11:57am Sun 13 Apr 14

fylde exile says...

No matter what we should have done or should not have done,all that matters is the scoreline.They scored one, we scored nil, therefore they get 3 points;,yes I admit we should have had one definite penalty and probably another,but you cannot blame the opposition for some of our misses.they're goalkeeper had a good game,that's what he's paid for,so did ours as usual,and we gave their goal away.Let's put it behind us, we're still 8 pointsclear,if anybody had predicted this at the beginning of the season I wonder what replies they would have got,but it's the result that counts not how it's achieved.
No matter what we should have done or should not have done,all that matters is the scoreline.They scored one, we scored nil, therefore they get 3 points;,yes I admit we should have had one definite penalty and probably another,but you cannot blame the opposition for some of our misses.they're goalkeeper had a good game,that's what he's paid for,so did ours as usual,and we gave their goal away.Let's put it behind us, we're still 8 pointsclear,if anybody had predicted this at the beginning of the season I wonder what replies they would have got,but it's the result that counts not how it's achieved. fylde exile
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree