LONGSHAW B caused an upset in the Blackburn and Darwen Snooker League’s Danny Hogan Memorial Cup to book a place in the quarter finals.

The Division Two high-fliers came out on top in a thrilling clash with First Division side Punch.

The drama unfolded in the first frame and continued to the last.

The first six were shared, the best being the doubles clash between Paul Wilkins and Jamie Ridsdale for the home team against the visiting pair of Jonny Hannan and Tom Whittle.

It was an epic battle all the way with neither team giving an inch. It went to the wire with the Longshaw youngsters nicking it 56-55.

At 3-3 both skippers were wondering if a decider was going to be needed. Punch put reigning singles champion Jamie Ridsdale to the table and Longshaw sent in Jonny Hannan.

It could have been a classic but a single piece of bad run turned the frame against Jamie.

A positional shot to red went awry and left him in the pack of reds with no option but to try and put distance between the white and reds. With one red left on Hannan pounced and a fine run of 36 put him in control.

One more scoring visit and Longshaw led 4-3.

The final frame was one way traffic as an imperious Lee Whittle saw off Paul Ryder to take the match 5-3.

Up at Feniscowles it was a different story for the Longshaw A team as they crashed out 5-1 although the scoreline was somewhat flattering.

It started well for the visitors with Bob Mawman taking the opener against Andy Walsh. Frame two pitted young Jamie Hartley against the experienced Andy Rourke and it was a cracker.

The youngster took Rourke all the way to a re-spotted black before succumbing.

Fenny took the first doubles and Andy Allen pinched the next on the black to put the home side 3-1 up and when Colin Mawman lost to Rob Walsh it was left to Keith Grogan and Andy Allen to take the next doubles and put Fenny in the quarter finals where they will meet, ironically Longshaw B.

The final match saw Stanhill ease their way past West View. Gary Close got the home team off to a perfect start, seeing off West View skipper Mark Gorzella.

When Dave O’Shaughnessy surprisingly lost the next it seemed to galvanize Stanhill and they quickly established a 3-1 advantage.

John Avery made a fight of it for the visitors beating Darren Wareing in the singles and partnering Dave Shaw to victory in the pairs to level things at 3-3.

That was it though as Nathan Bridges and the veteran Pete Drane won the last 2 frames to put the Ossy team through.

In the John Greenhalgh Trophy it was panic stations for Anchor who apparently forgot they had a match.

They eventually arrived at Blackburn Golf Club an hour late but home skipper Chris Nutter sportingly refused to claim any frames. It started well for the beleaguered visitors when they took the opener but that was it. The golfers took five in a row to ease into the Quarter Finals. Barry Pease is finding his form again – two 30+ runs gave him victory over Dan Bernon.

VIP B progressed nicely with a comfortable 5-3 victory over Blackburn Golf B. After losing the first VIP took the nest 3 with ease, young Haider Ali again showing his class with a well taken run of 42.

Golf Club skipper Stan Cook gave his side a little hope by taking the next but VIP took two of the last 3 frames to book a quarter final spot against Mill Hill.

The nights remaining fixture ended with a comfortable 5-1 victory for Park A against reigning league champions Fox & Hounds.

Pick of the quarter final draw looks to be Cherry Tree v Hoddlesden and Feniscowles v Longshaw B.