BURNLEY boss Sean Dyche is anticipating a quiet transfer deadline day.
The rumour mill has been rife this month with a number of players linked with the Clarets, and with non-stop speculation about the future of star striker Danny Ings.
But while manager Dyche said it was “possible but not probable” that he would make further additions after signing Ashley Barnes from Brighton earlier in the month, his confidence at keeping 21-goal top scorer Ings is arguably more significant.
“We’re not expecting anything,” said Dyche when asked about Ings, who has been the subject of at least two informal enquiries from Premier League clubs.
Burnley, however, have maintained a firm stance of their ‘no sales’ policy as they bid to continue their challenge at the top end of the Championship, with the chance to regain second spot if the can beat QPR tomorrow (kick-off 12.15pm).
But Dyche was not overly optimistic about incomings ahead of their top of the table clash.
“We’ve been trying to align certain things that we thought might happen. It’s looking possible, but not probable as regard permanent signings.
“We’re keeping our lines of communication open for possible loan signings but it’s not just what you want, it’s the availability and the package that would secure those loan signings.
“The challenge of the window is that there are a lot of players that similar clubs will be in for and we can’t always win the race financially because someone will put something more financial into the club, the player or whatever so we have to shop accordingly.”
Dyche has, however, been boosted by winger Ross Wallace reporting back to full fitness after coming through 90 minutes in Burnley’s Lancashire FA Senior Cup win over Oldham in midweek - his first full game since undergoing knee surgery in August.
Keith Treacy and Danny Lafferty have also recovered from knocks that kept them out of Tuesday’s goalless draw with Brighton.
“Danny had a tight thigh, Keith had a stiff neck but that’s settled down so they’re back in the pack,” said Dyche.
“Ross had his 90, which is good for him mentally to get through that.
“That’s another one coming back into the group.”
Meanwhile, Yeovil boss Gary Johnson has played down suggestions that the Clarets have made a bid for midfielder Ed Upson.
National press reports yesterday claimed Burnley and Millwall were chasing the £100,000-rated Upson but Johnson said: “There are always rumours at this stage. It keeps newspapers in sales. A lot of people leave little inquiries and often they do that to five or six different players and teams.
“But there has not been an offer from Millwall, Burnley or Barcelona for any of my players, anything else is hearsay.”