FULL-TIME: Burnley 0, Charlton 1

First published in Sport

BURNLEY'S three-game winning home run has been ended by top travellers Charlton Athletic.

Chris Powell's side have suffered indifferent form all season, but arrived at Turf Moor boasting a five-game unbeaten run.

The Clarets had reasons to be confident on home soil, however, having recorded three points and clean sheets in each of their last three home games.

But hopes of stretching that run to four were all-but dashed in the 15th minute, when Kieran Trippier was controversially sent off for handball.

The right back blocked shots on the line from Rob Hulse. Referee Robert Madley deemed the first had struck the defender on the arm and immediately pointed to the spot and gave Trippier his marching orders.

Lee Grant saved Johnnie Jackson's spot kick and from there Burnley battled and covered plenty of ground to make up for their one-man deficit.

The Clarets might even have gone ahead had it not been for Ben Hamer denying Brian Stock from distance and Michael Duff a far post header from the resultant corner.

Grant was called into action again before the break, making a good save from Danny Haynes.

But the striker broke a valiant Burnley side's resistance in the 69th minute.

Jackson crossed for Rob Hulse to head on, and Haynes planted a header in across Grant.

Top scorer Charlie Austin came close to an equaliser as the Clarets applied late pressure, but it was not the striker's or Burnley's day.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:44pm Sat 17 Nov 12

pepperpot2296 says...

Oh dear honeymoons over,Austin fails to score clarets lose one man team methinks and you only had 961 more fans watching than mighty Bradford from division two????? Plus the lack of posters on your town teams site very very poor.
Oh dear honeymoons over,Austin fails to score clarets lose one man team methinks and you only had 961 more fans watching than mighty Bradford from division two????? Plus the lack of posters on your town teams site very very poor. pepperpot2296
  • Score: 10

7:50pm Sat 17 Nov 12

NICEONESUNSHINE says...

Normal service has been resumed............
Normal service has been resumed............ NICEONESUNSHINE
  • Score: 10

8:50pm Sat 17 Nov 12

Chico! says...

Ha ha.

Where are all the mouthy dingles?

Ha ha!

Bless x
Ha ha. Where are all the mouthy dingles? Ha ha! Bless x Chico!
  • Score: 6

8:51pm Sat 17 Nov 12

Rovers75 says...

Where are are you glentoran you poisonous filth bag?

What's up, have you run out of putrid vile to post on here now reality's checked in?

RTID
Where are are you glentoran you poisonous filth bag? What's up, have you run out of putrid vile to post on here now reality's checked in? RTID Rovers75
  • Score: 8

9:01pm Sat 17 Nov 12

we r longside burnley says...

and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you
and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you we r longside burnley
  • Score: -4

9:51pm Sat 17 Nov 12

Pommie Art says...

Burnley 0, Charlton 1

Oh what a fantastic feeling this is: the scum from Burnley losing at home but you nearly had 1 shot at the oppositions goal, NEARLY
Burnley 0, Charlton 1 Oh what a fantastic feeling this is: the scum from Burnley losing at home but you nearly had 1 shot at the oppositions goal, NEARLY Pommie Art
  • Score: 4

10:02am Sun 18 Nov 12

Chico! says...

Where ARE all the cocky, bitter, illiterate, racist, moronic, boring, delusional dingles today?

Has the town PC finally packed in? Or were they all up late last night throwing rocks at the moon?

Hilarious!

Bless x
Where ARE all the cocky, bitter, illiterate, racist, moronic, boring, delusional dingles today? Has the town PC finally packed in? Or were they all up late last night throwing rocks at the moon? Hilarious! Bless x Chico!
  • Score: 1

11:54am Sun 18 Nov 12

we r longside burnley says...

NICEONESUNSHINE wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you
What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)????

You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e
no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s
[quote][p][bold]NICEONESUNSHINE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you[/p][/quote]What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)???? You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e[/p][/quote]no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s we r longside burnley
  • Score: -1

12:54pm Sun 18 Nov 12

Chico! says...

we r longside burnley wrote:
NICEONESUNSHINE wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you
What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)????

You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e
no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s
Ha ha the illiterate Bonleh chav is back, and as dumb as ever!

Bet your dad's really proud of you. Well he would be, if you knew who he was!

Bless x
[quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NICEONESUNSHINE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you[/p][/quote]What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)???? You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e[/p][/quote]no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s[/p][/quote]Ha ha the illiterate Bonleh chav is back, and as dumb as ever! Bet your dad's really proud of you. Well he would be, if you knew who he was! Bless x Chico!
  • Score: 3

3:29pm Sun 18 Nov 12

Rovers75 says...

Chico! wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
NICEONESUNSHINE wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you
What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)????

You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e
no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s
Ha ha the illiterate Bonleh chav is back, and as dumb as ever!

Bet your dad's really proud of you. Well he would be, if you knew who he was!

Bless x
Whey hey, PBL is back.... different name, same old illiterate comedy

Another bumper crowd I see at Turf again.... Are you boycotting or could it be you don't actually have this amazing support you all imagine?
[quote][p][bold]Chico![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NICEONESUNSHINE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you[/p][/quote]What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)???? You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e[/p][/quote]no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s[/p][/quote]Ha ha the illiterate Bonleh chav is back, and as dumb as ever! Bet your dad's really proud of you. Well he would be, if you knew who he was! Bless x[/p][/quote]Whey hey, PBL is back.... different name, same old illiterate comedy Another bumper crowd I see at Turf again.... Are you boycotting or could it be you don't actually have this amazing support you all imagine? Rovers75
  • Score: 4

8:31pm Sun 18 Nov 12

we r longside burnley says...

Rovers75 wrote:
Chico! wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
NICEONESUNSHINE wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you
What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)????

You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e
no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s
Ha ha the illiterate Bonleh chav is back, and as dumb as ever!

Bet your dad's really proud of you. Well he would be, if you knew who he was!

Bless x
Whey hey, PBL is back.... different name, same old illiterate comedy

Another bumper crowd I see at Turf again.... Are you boycotting or could it be you don't actually have this amazing support you all imagine?
dont worry about are support pal worry about your own its not the best support to be boasting about isit
[quote][p][bold]Rovers75[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chico![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NICEONESUNSHINE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you[/p][/quote]What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)???? You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e[/p][/quote]no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s[/p][/quote]Ha ha the illiterate Bonleh chav is back, and as dumb as ever! Bet your dad's really proud of you. Well he would be, if you knew who he was! Bless x[/p][/quote]Whey hey, PBL is back.... different name, same old illiterate comedy Another bumper crowd I see at Turf again.... Are you boycotting or could it be you don't actually have this amazing support you all imagine?[/p][/quote]dont worry about are support pal worry about your own its not the best support to be boasting about isit we r longside burnley
  • Score: -1

9:00pm Sun 18 Nov 12

we r longside burnley says...

NICEONESUNSHINE wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
NICEONESUNSHINE wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you
What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)????

You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e
no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s
"Proud"....The only thing that's "proud" in your life is whats hanging out of your mummys nightie whens he's ''tucking'' you in your flea pit at night inbred
carry on il report you lool
[quote][p][bold]NICEONESUNSHINE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NICEONESUNSHINE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you[/p][/quote]What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)???? You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e[/p][/quote]no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s[/p][/quote]"Proud"....The only thing that's "proud" in your life is whats hanging out of your mummys nightie whens he's ''tucking'' you in your flea pit at night inbred[/p][/quote]carry on il report you lool we r longside burnley
  • Score: 0

9:48am Wed 21 Nov 12

walshy2866 says...

we r longside burnley wrote:
Rovers75 wrote:
Chico! wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
NICEONESUNSHINE wrote:
we r longside burnley wrote:
and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you
What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)????

You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e
no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s
Ha ha the illiterate Bonleh chav is back, and as dumb as ever!

Bet your dad's really proud of you. Well he would be, if you knew who he was!

Bless x
Whey hey, PBL is back.... different name, same old illiterate comedy

Another bumper crowd I see at Turf again.... Are you boycotting or could it be you don't actually have this amazing support you all imagine?
dont worry about are support pal worry about your own its not the best support to be boasting about isit
Don't worry longside boy , your attendance will be up a week on sunday when the Rovers come rocking into town. Your fickle support will turn up in numbers for the big one and to pour their vitriolic hatred on their illustrious neighbours. I can't wait , always a great day out, full English breakfast and a few pints in The Aquaduct, then onto the coaches . Pulling away from Ewood is always a touching moment, having a look back at the ground and infrastructure left by Uncle Jack, then being whisked up towards the motorway in our fleet of luxury airconditioned coaches. The singings well underway before we reach the M65 and spirits will be high. A 15 min motorway trip, police in attendance on all bridges. Regroup as we leave motorway, police outriders, roads temporarily closed as the fleet sweep majestically towards the town centre. Locals staring out of their houses at the courtage and one or two V signs flashed by their well educated children. Now the intensity builds , songs now become louder and contain more reference to local issues,habits and history. We all know what they are so let's not go there. We're a mile from the ground and passing pubs populated by the enemy, now the songs are aimed at these pubs, with lots of gesticulating , finger pointing and looks of hatred from both sides. The police have it boxed off, controlling the locals and ensuring its only abuse thrown at the coaches , then the line up parking right outside the ground (on the Queens highway as there's no provision for civilised off road parking, due to bob lord not being as rich as uncle Jack and not able to buy surrounding houses etc). Off the coach and we set foot on your territory, unlike a papal visit, not 1 Blackburn fan feels the need to kiss the ground! The smokers light up as we head for the manned turnstiles(again a sign of our precedent, as all ours are automated). Ticket handed over and we're in the dimly lit area under the stand. At this point chants of "what the fu@king he11 is this" reverberate around the area as 1st timers are amazed at the somewhat basic facilities. A p1ss and a pie (some of our more bigoted fans refuse to spend any more money, but i'll participate in the local fare as I've always believed in helping the needy and less privileged in society)
Then its up the steps , find your seat (although wooden and antiquated they're very comfy and plenty of leg room, but that doesn't matter as most stay standing during game) and survey all in front of you. Derisory comments are passed about the ground and the build up as began.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable experience and the game hasn't even kicked off and if you're a proper fan my little dingle friend and not just an insult throwing keyboard warrior you'll know exactly where I'm coming from. The oldest English derby , the milltown derby as the smarmy sky pundits who think watford is northern have now named it. To us its something special and don't believe any Rovers fan who says its just another game. Them who'd rather beat united than Burnley are johnny come latelys and don't know the intense history and rivalry. I know Burnley fans and they've been waiting for this for near 6 months, I'm blue to the core and believe me I feel exactly the same. Bring it on, sing what you want cos we'll do exactly the same and have an unforgettable day. Taking my 12 year old lad for his 1st league game at the old enemy and he must be a chip off the old block cos he's been buzzing since we got the tickets
Arte Et Labore 1875
[quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rovers75[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chico![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NICEONESUNSHINE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]we r longside burnley[/bold] wrote: and bast***s say that we get excited when we win and they lose???? hmmmmm look at you all chuffed you beat peterborough woooow we did too you should have a party tripps wont be playing you[/p][/quote]What's your name....We r s**te deluded, uneducated scruff inbreds Bunleh (sic)???? You can't fool us moron, you're probably that horrible English hating buffoon GUDARI (IRA DUG) creeping back on here after being exposed as a terrorist loving a**e[/p][/quote]no its proud burnley lad after you **** got me kicked off crying after a bit of banter tut tut you bunch of *****s[/p][/quote]Ha ha the illiterate Bonleh chav is back, and as dumb as ever! Bet your dad's really proud of you. Well he would be, if you knew who he was! Bless x[/p][/quote]Whey hey, PBL is back.... different name, same old illiterate comedy Another bumper crowd I see at Turf again.... Are you boycotting or could it be you don't actually have this amazing support you all imagine?[/p][/quote]dont worry about are support pal worry about your own its not the best support to be boasting about isit[/p][/quote]Don't worry longside boy , your attendance will be up a week on sunday when the Rovers come rocking into town. Your fickle support will turn up in numbers for the big one and to pour their vitriolic hatred on their illustrious neighbours. I can't wait , always a great day out, full English breakfast and a few pints in The Aquaduct, then onto the coaches . Pulling away from Ewood is always a touching moment, having a look back at the ground and infrastructure left by Uncle Jack, then being whisked up towards the motorway in our fleet of luxury airconditioned coaches. The singings well underway before we reach the M65 and spirits will be high. A 15 min motorway trip, police in attendance on all bridges. Regroup as we leave motorway, police outriders, roads temporarily closed as the fleet sweep majestically towards the town centre. Locals staring out of their houses at the courtage and one or two V signs flashed by their well educated children. Now the intensity builds , songs now become louder and contain more reference to local issues,habits and history. We all know what they are so let's not go there. We're a mile from the ground and passing pubs populated by the enemy, now the songs are aimed at these pubs, with lots of gesticulating , finger pointing and looks of hatred from both sides. The police have it boxed off, controlling the locals and ensuring its only abuse thrown at the coaches , then the line up parking right outside the ground (on the Queens highway as there's no provision for civilised off road parking, due to bob lord not being as rich as uncle Jack and not able to buy surrounding houses etc). Off the coach and we set foot on your territory, unlike a papal visit, not 1 Blackburn fan feels the need to kiss the ground! The smokers light up as we head for the manned turnstiles(again a sign of our precedent, as all ours are automated). Ticket handed over and we're in the dimly lit area under the stand. At this point chants of "what the fu@king he11 is this" reverberate around the area as 1st timers are amazed at the somewhat basic facilities. A p1ss and a pie (some of our more bigoted fans refuse to spend any more money, but i'll participate in the local fare as I've always believed in helping the needy and less privileged in society) Then its up the steps , find your seat (although wooden and antiquated they're very comfy and plenty of leg room, but that doesn't matter as most stay standing during game) and survey all in front of you. Derisory comments are passed about the ground and the build up as began. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable experience and the game hasn't even kicked off and if you're a proper fan my little dingle friend and not just an insult throwing keyboard warrior you'll know exactly where I'm coming from. The oldest English derby , the milltown derby as the smarmy sky pundits who think watford is northern have now named it. To us its something special and don't believe any Rovers fan who says its just another game. Them who'd rather beat united than Burnley are johnny come latelys and don't know the intense history and rivalry. I know Burnley fans and they've been waiting for this for near 6 months, I'm blue to the core and believe me I feel exactly the same. Bring it on, sing what you want cos we'll do exactly the same and have an unforgettable day. Taking my 12 year old lad for his 1st league game at the old enemy and he must be a chip off the old block cos he's been buzzing since we got the tickets Arte Et Labore 1875 walshy2866
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree