Cannabis factory uncovered in Mellor

A CANNABIS factory has been uncovered in a detached bungalow in Mellor.

Police said it was the first time a large haul of cannabis had been found in the Ribble Valley village.

Mainly elderly residents live in Hob Green and officers believe drug growers thought the street would provide a good cover.

But police were given an anonymous-tip off, prompting a PCSO to cycle past the property to check out the unusual smell reported.

Officers obtained a warrant and forced their way into the premises.

They found 49 plants with an estimated street value of £10,000 and a sophisticated heating, lighting, watering and air filtration system.

PC Jo Dolan, Mellor community beat manager said: “This is very rare. It seems the perpetrator has taken advantage of the fact that this is an elderly residential area thinking that he would get away with it.

"Although this is a rural location, it is policed and information does come into us. I do not want this type of criminal activity in a respectable area with people thinking that it is an easy target.

"This is the first time we have had such a large haul in the area and we will combat crime and take a positive approach to any information that we receive."

Nobody was at the address when it was raided early on Wednesday morning. However police later arrested man in connection with the find.

Residents living on the street near the Whalley Methodist Church expressed their shock at the discovery.

Raymond Brindle, 80, said: "I was watching TV and then the next time I looked outside there were police everywhere. You really don't expect something like this in Mellor because it's such a quiet nice place.

"We had no idea that this was going on and the first we knew of it was when we saw the police carrying the plants outside."

Another resident said: "It is very shocking to think this was going on in Mellor. I have never seen anything like it before."

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:58am Sat 14 May 11

brfcianbrfc says...

Drugs, Prostitutes what next. Mellor is becoming a dangerous place to visit. hahaha
Drugs, Prostitutes what next. Mellor is becoming a dangerous place to visit. hahaha brfcianbrfc

1:05pm Sat 14 May 11

PoetPeter says...

Why don't we try taking a completely new approach to this problem? At least six million people in Britain use cannabis regularly and whatever we do we're not going to stop them. We waste billions every year on police, court and prison resources when a large proportion of society uses cannabis without any problem at all. In fact, the only real problem with cannabis is that it's illegal. The risks to health are very small - much, much less than alcohol or tobacco. Why not introduce a tax and regulate system and realise the benefits? That way we'd have a properly regulated supply chain with no criminals involved, no theft of electricity, no human trafficking, no destruction of property and disruption of neighbourhoods. Then there would be some control over this huge market. There would be thousands of new jobs, sales would be from licensed outlets to adults only with guaranteed quality and safety. Then our police could start going after some real wrongdoing instead of trying to fight a crime that exists only because of a misguided government policy.
Why don't we try taking a completely new approach to this problem? At least six million people in Britain use cannabis regularly and whatever we do we're not going to stop them. We waste billions every year on police, court and prison resources when a large proportion of society uses cannabis without any problem at all. In fact, the only real problem with cannabis is that it's illegal. The risks to health are very small - much, much less than alcohol or tobacco. Why not introduce a tax and regulate system and realise the benefits? That way we'd have a properly regulated supply chain with no criminals involved, no theft of electricity, no human trafficking, no destruction of property and disruption of neighbourhoods. Then there would be some control over this huge market. There would be thousands of new jobs, sales would be from licensed outlets to adults only with guaranteed quality and safety. Then our police could start going after some real wrongdoing instead of trying to fight a crime that exists only because of a misguided government policy. PoetPeter

1:11pm Sat 14 May 11

sam985 says...

Legalise it and take this away from residential areas, and the police won't have to waste time dealing with it either.
Legalise it and take this away from residential areas, and the police won't have to waste time dealing with it either. sam985

2:29pm Sat 14 May 11

AB3 says...

It's about time they brought cannabis within the law. Instead of costing the taxpayers billions of pounds annually, cannabis farms could be licensed, quality controlled, customers protected and profits taxed.

Cannabis is here to stay, millions use it in UK every day and many millions more have tried it.

People should be allowed to grow their own for their own consumption and adults ought to be allowed to buy from select outlets like Dutch Coffeeshops.

This would separate cannabis from crime and hard drugs, enable accurate and credible advice on point of sale to adults and help keep cannabis out of the hands of youngsters>

Legitimate cultivation schemes could be set up to supply the outlets - all above board.

Otherwise we will continue to go round in circles as there is an endless line or people looking for profit and not just people from the UK
It's about time they brought cannabis within the law. Instead of costing the taxpayers billions of pounds annually, cannabis farms could be licensed, quality controlled, customers protected and profits taxed. Cannabis is here to stay, millions use it in UK every day and many millions more have tried it. People should be allowed to grow their own for their own consumption and adults ought to be allowed to buy from select outlets like Dutch Coffeeshops. This would separate cannabis from crime and hard drugs, enable accurate and credible advice on point of sale to adults and help keep cannabis out of the hands of youngsters> Legitimate cultivation schemes could be set up to supply the outlets - all above board. Otherwise we will continue to go round in circles as there is an endless line or people looking for profit and not just people from the UK AB3

3:18pm Sat 14 May 11

useyourhead says...

I agree with all above comments - legalise and not only save millions but make millions too. let our country reap the rewards!
-
create jobs and a tourist industry in one stroke.
I agree with all above comments - legalise and not only save millions but make millions too. let our country reap the rewards! - create jobs and a tourist industry in one stroke. useyourhead

3:33pm Sat 14 May 11

Dan-Bognor says...

Prohibition causes all the problems that are associated with the use of cannabis, from violent dealers selling it to under-age users to the commercial growers harvesting cannabis while it is still immature to maximise their profits, this immature product does not contain the right balance of THC to CBD, CBN and other cannabinoids, and this is the cause of some people having a bad reaction and occasionally mental problems. Of course we have to remember that the percentage of alcohol users experiencing mental problems as a result of their drug use is 100% higher! All the problems currently associated with cannabis use would be best tackled by setting up a properly regulated and monitored system of legal supply, and it could be taxed to help the economy to the tune of £6 billion per annum. Remember, under prohibition the minimum age to buy cannabis is £10, under legal regulated supply it would be 21 years of age.
Prohibition causes all the problems that are associated with the use of cannabis, from violent dealers selling it to under-age users to the commercial growers harvesting cannabis while it is still immature to maximise their profits, this immature product does not contain the right balance of THC to CBD, CBN and other cannabinoids, and this is the cause of some people having a bad reaction and occasionally mental problems. Of course we have to remember that the percentage of alcohol users experiencing mental problems as a result of their drug use is 100% higher! All the problems currently associated with cannabis use would be best tackled by setting up a properly regulated and monitored system of legal supply, and it could be taxed to help the economy to the tune of £6 billion per annum. Remember, under prohibition the minimum age to buy cannabis is £10, under legal regulated supply it would be 21 years of age. Dan-Bognor

5:41pm Sat 14 May 11

Mr Tickle says...

Its ok legalising it BUT what people don't understand is the massive affect on the users mental health and the massive financial burden on the NHS! It has implications, as you say people are going to do it anyway...I personally don't think it should be legal. Drug induced paranoia?? There will be even more zombies and anti-social rats contaminating our streets. Yes alcohol and tobacco have an effect of the NHS but its the social aspect I'm worried about. THis is my opinion! I'm not saying its right.
Its ok legalising it BUT what people don't understand is the massive affect on the users mental health and the massive financial burden on the NHS! It has implications, as you say people are going to do it anyway...I personally don't think it should be legal. Drug induced paranoia?? There will be even more zombies and anti-social rats contaminating our streets. Yes alcohol and tobacco have an effect of the NHS but its the social aspect I'm worried about. THis is my opinion! I'm not saying its right. Mr Tickle

6:25pm Sat 14 May 11

PoetPeter says...

Mr Tickle wrote:
Its ok legalising it BUT what people don't understand is the massive affect on the users mental health and the massive financial burden on the NHS! It has implications, as you say people are going to do it anyway...I personally don't think it should be legal. Drug induced paranoia?? There will be even more zombies and anti-social rats contaminating our streets. Yes alcohol and tobacco have an effect of the NHS but its the social aspect I'm worried about. THis is my opinion! I'm not saying its right.
But the mental health scare is vastly over-exaggerated. It is Daily Mail and government propaganda. The latest scientific research published in 2009 by Keele University proves that psychosis is either stable or declining despite the massive increase in cannabis use through the 60s and 70s and even with the so-called stronger cannabis of today.
You're much more likely to develop psychosis from alcohol or even energy drinks. Vodka & Red Bull, the trendiest drink of all is instant psychosis in a glass
[quote][p][bold]Mr Tickle[/bold] wrote: Its ok legalising it BUT what people don't understand is the massive affect on the users mental health and the massive financial burden on the NHS! It has implications, as you say people are going to do it anyway...I personally don't think it should be legal. Drug induced paranoia?? There will be even more zombies and anti-social rats contaminating our streets. Yes alcohol and tobacco have an effect of the NHS but its the social aspect I'm worried about. THis is my opinion! I'm not saying its right.[/p][/quote]But the mental health scare is vastly over-exaggerated. It is Daily Mail and government propaganda. The latest scientific research published in 2009 by Keele University proves that psychosis is either stable or declining despite the massive increase in cannabis use through the 60s and 70s and even with the so-called stronger cannabis of today. You're much more likely to develop psychosis from alcohol or even energy drinks. Vodka & Red Bull, the trendiest drink of all is instant psychosis in a glass PoetPeter

8:47pm Sun 15 May 11

yamthejam says...

Yeah let's make all crime legal then we won't need the police.... Crime is crime. It's there for a reason start with cannabis what next cocaine????
Yeah let's make all crime legal then we won't need the police.... Crime is crime. It's there for a reason start with cannabis what next cocaine???? yamthejam

9:03pm Sun 15 May 11

PoetPeter says...

yamthejam wrote:
Yeah let's make all crime legal then we won't need the police.... Crime is crime. It's there for a reason start with cannabis what next cocaine????
Or something really posionous that kills tens of thousands every year - alcohol. Or hundreds of thousands - tobacco. Deaths from cannabis ever- NIL.
Is your brain really that limp?
Being gay was a crime. Women voting was a crime. Abusing someone for being black wasn't a crime.
"Crime is crime, It's there for a reason" - are you really that dense?
[quote][p][bold]yamthejam[/bold] wrote: Yeah let's make all crime legal then we won't need the police.... Crime is crime. It's there for a reason start with cannabis what next cocaine????[/p][/quote]Or something really posionous that kills tens of thousands every year - alcohol. Or hundreds of thousands - tobacco. Deaths from cannabis ever- NIL. Is your brain really that limp? Being gay was a crime. Women voting was a crime. Abusing someone for being black wasn't a crime. "Crime is crime, It's there for a reason" - are you really that dense? PoetPeter

9:32pm Sun 15 May 11

AB3 says...

yamthejam wrote:
Yeah let's make all crime legal then we won't need the police.... Crime is crime. It's there for a reason start with cannabis what next cocaine????
Surely it ought to be a question about what harm, has the drug user done to anyone and not about what the drug was.

It is simply wrong that users of some drugs (like alcohol) that are far greater risk to personal and social health, are legal to possess and can safely to purchased by adults, whereas the users of other substances like the cannabis plant, are prosecuted.

This lack of equity in the way users are treated cannot be justified, neither can the prosecution of users that do no harm.
[quote][p][bold]yamthejam[/bold] wrote: Yeah let's make all crime legal then we won't need the police.... Crime is crime. It's there for a reason start with cannabis what next cocaine????[/p][/quote]Surely it ought to be a question about what harm, has the drug user done to anyone and not about what the drug was. It is simply wrong that users of some drugs (like alcohol) that are far greater risk to personal and social health, are legal to possess and can safely to purchased by adults, whereas the users of other substances like the cannabis plant, are prosecuted. This lack of equity in the way users are treated cannot be justified, neither can the prosecution of users that do no harm. AB3

2:10am Mon 16 May 11

bigste says...

What happened in the USA when they banned liquor. Gangsters got greedy and saw ways to make money. Capone and his mates got trigger happy and it was uncontrolable. Exactly same with weed in the UK. Only way to sort it is to legalise it. Is weed any worse than liquor? Not in a million years. And that is from a guy who has never used any drugs including weed, but I've seen plenty of it.
What happened in the USA when they banned liquor. Gangsters got greedy and saw ways to make money. Capone and his mates got trigger happy and it was uncontrolable. Exactly same with weed in the UK. Only way to sort it is to legalise it. Is weed any worse than liquor? Not in a million years. And that is from a guy who has never used any drugs including weed, but I've seen plenty of it. bigste

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree