When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Ribble Valley Council to pay costs after losing Billington homes appeal
8:00pm Wednesday 25th January 2012 in Billington
RIBBLE Valley Council will have to pay the costs of a developer after losing an appeal against a 39-house development in Billington.
The council’s planning committee threw out Acland Bracewell Ltd’s plans for the plot, in Whalley New Road, contrary to the planning officer’s recommendation.
The council argued the extra houses would be detrimental to highway safety, and also overburden existing drainage, health, and education facilities.
But, after being taken to appeal, Inspector Karen Baker said no objections were received from the highway authority, or United Utilities and the Environment Agency.
She also said: “The council did not consult the East Lancashire Primary Care Trust, and the response from Lancashire County Council indicated it would have no objections, subject to a financial contribution of £165,759 towards the provision of additional primary school places.”
The council stated that 13 letters of objection had been received from residents about the increased use of the ‘already-dangerous junction’ of Painter Wood with Whalley New Road.
However, Ms Baker said the concerns were not found to be supported by substantial evidence.
Roger Bracewell, of Acland Bracewell Ltd, said: “The design of the development can now proceed, which will be subject to a further reserved matters application. The costs of the appeal have not yet been determined.”