AN MP has vowed to write to Defence Secretary Philip Hammond over the Army’s decision to claw back money paid to a soldier following his death in Afghanistan.
Pendle MP Andrew Stephenson said he was ‘shocked’ to hear Tony Bancroft had received a letter from the Ministry of Defence (MoD), saying his son Jordan, 25, had been overpaid.
As the Lancashire Telegraph revealed yesterday, the £433.13 related to the 10-day period following the Lance Corporal’s death in Helmand province on August 21, 2010.
In the letter, the MoD said they would be taking the money from a sum that was owed to Jordan in holiday pay. Earlier this month, Jordan’s family handed over £10,000 to the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment after more than a year of fundraising in his memory.
Mr Bancroft said the issue was not one of money, but one of respect for his son and the sacrifice he had made.
Speaking yesterday, Mr Stephenson said: “To me this sounds like heartless bureaucrats who are completely devoid of any common sense.
“I will be taking it up by writing to the new defence secretary Philip Hammond today, asking him to look at this case.
“I cannot believe they can be so insensitive considering what Jordan did, giving his life for his country, and the remarkable way his family and friends have behaved raising money.
“I think this is absolutely shocking and I will be taking it up with the powers that be.”
Jordan, from Earby, was shot while protecting a meeting between peacekeeping troops and Afghan elders.
Janet Taylor, secretary of the Nelson branch of the Royal British Legion, said she would be asking for support from members throughout the county to petition the MoD.
She said: “The next meeting of the Lancashire area branch is on December 3.
“I will be asking that the branch request the MOD to reconsider their policy on this issue.
“It’s inconsiderate and insensitive for letters like this to be sent out and this policy should be changed.”