When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Methadone overdose killed Colne mum
1:37pm Friday 11th October 2013 in News
A WOMAN who battled drug addiction for two decades died when she overdosed on the heroin substitute methadone, an inquest heard.
Jodie Ann Mackie, 41, of Knotts Lane, Colne, was found dead at home on May 26. She had been taking methadone for more than 20 years, her son, Jake Smith, told East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor.
Ms Mackie had been accessing help for opiate dependence at Inspire, a substance misuse recovery service, since 2001.
The inquest heard she had been accessing extra dosages illegally since May 2012 and sometimes binged on 400 milligrammes in one go.
Her daily prescribed amount was increased to 100mg per day then lowered to 60mg as she showed improvement in May.
She contracted an infection later that month and Dr Abdul Al-Dawoud, a pathologist, said her tolerance would have decreased as a result.
Dr Al-Dawoud could not offer a cause of death but said ‘on the balance of probabilities’ methadone toxication was most likely.
In reaching a conclusion of misadventure, Mr Taylor said: “She would never have known the methadone she took on that day would be toxic. Sadly her infection and illness reduced her tolerance.”
Comments are closed on this article.