A LIT firework was posted through the letter box of a Burnley house.
Fire crews were called to Olympia Street shortly after 12.30am on Saturday after a woman called saying there had been an explosion in the vestibule of her house.
The woman, believed to be in her 50’s, lived alone and was unhurt but there was smoke damage to the immediate area and a glass panel was smashed.
Crews attended the scene for 15 minutes to make sure the woman was safe and to clear out the smoke.
Police are now investigating the incident. Fire crew manager Kerion Ogden said: “Although the damage wasn’t great, the incident itself was very frightening for the woman.
“She had called up after she heard a big bang and realised that someone had put a lit firework through her letter box.
“The smoke damage was contained to the vestibule and glass in the vestibule was also smashed from the explosion.
“The woman was asked to leave her house whilst checks were carried out and the area was made safe.”
Inspector Vinny De Curtis said: “Officers have made inquiries with regards to the incident including looking at nearby CCTV camera’s.
“We are appealing for anyone who may have seen someone in the Olympia Street area acting suspiciously or letting off fireworks to come forward.
“If it hadn’t been for the fact that the house had a vestibule the incident could have been a lot more serious.”
Anyone with information should call Burnley police station on 01282 425001 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.