Lancashire TelegraphFaulty washing machine causes fire at Stacksteads (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Faulty washing machine causes fire at Stacksteads

A FAMILY was awoken by their smoke alarm after a washing machine caught fire in the middle of the night.

The fire in Acre Avenue, Stacksteads, caused severe smoke damage to the house. The family got out safely, but a woman suffered smoke inhalation.

Firefighters from Bacup were called at 12.30am.

Watch manager Chris Haworth said: “Fortunately the house had a working smoke alarm so the family got out safely.

“I would like to stress the importance of turning off and unplugging electrical appliances at night.

“Things like washing machines should never be left running while you are in bed.

“If this family didn’t have smoke alarms, this could have been so much worse.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:00am Mon 26 Nov 12

kate11 says...

Never leave any appliance on unattended even during the day!! Our dishwasher caught fire and luckily I was in the room or it could have been a disaster!! Many people use appliances overnight for cheap electricity. This cheap nightime electricity should be stopped it is putting lives at risk! I never leave the house while dishwasher, dryer etc on ..
Never leave any appliance on unattended even during the day!! Our dishwasher caught fire and luckily I was in the room or it could have been a disaster!! Many people use appliances overnight for cheap electricity. This cheap nightime electricity should be stopped it is putting lives at risk! I never leave the house while dishwasher, dryer etc on .. kate11
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree