Lancashire TelegraphNew chill-out zone for shoppers in Burnley market (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

New chill-out zone for shoppers in Burnley market

Lancashire Telegraph: CHILLING OUT Amy Leach and Rosemary Ebbs enjoy a break in the new rest area in Burnley Market CHILLING OUT Amy Leach and Rosemary Ebbs enjoy a break in the new rest area in Burnley Market

A NEW ‘fan-zone’ and shoppers’ relaxation area has been created in Burnley market where visitors can relax and watch sporting events on large televisions.

The town’s markets services department has created a new lounge-style rest area which features 16 leather chairs, tables and four large screens.

Organisers hope the area will encourage shoppers to stay longer in the town centre.

They hope the seating area will give shoppers the opportunity to take a break from shopping, put their feet up and watch television.

It is also intended to provide a comfortable area to meet up with friends and relatives while shopping.

Councillor Andy Tatchell, the council’s executive member for regeneration and economic development, said: “While your partner, friends, or parents are trying on their new outfits or having their nails and hair done, you can take a break, read a book or paper or just sit, relax and chill out in this stylish area.

“Burnley Market Hall is always looking at ways of improving its customer shopping experience, and the new rest area will add to the market’s appeal.

“Shopping at local markets is seeing a resurgence, with shoppers seeking local products, to support independent traders, in a friendly bustling environment.”

Related links

“The new TVs couldn’t have come at a better time, in place for the Euro 2012 and the Olympics, so don’t stay at home, why not keep up with all the games whilst out shopping.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:26pm Thu 14 Jun 12

Stuart Farquar says...

Shopping in Burnley ?? It's all cheap tat, at over inflated prices ! And what if your a smoker ? and what if you don't watch/cannot stand, TV ?
Shopping in Burnley ?? It's all cheap tat, at over inflated prices ! And what if your a smoker ? and what if you don't watch/cannot stand, TV ? Stuart Farquar
  • Score: -2

6:38pm Thu 14 Jun 12

happycyclist says...

Isn't that what pubs are for?
Isn't that what pubs are for? happycyclist
  • Score: -1

7:31pm Thu 14 Jun 12

sen c bl says...

Stuart Farquar wrote:
happycyclist wrote:
Isn't that what pubs are for?
They need some topless babes, then it will be Burnley's equivalent of Hooters lool
Go on Stuart F', get in there.
You'll soon be walking up the aisle!!!
[quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: Isn't that what pubs are for?[/p][/quote]They need some topless babes, then it will be Burnley's equivalent of Hooters lool[/p][/quote]Go on Stuart F', get in there. You'll soon be walking up the aisle!!! sen c bl
  • Score: -1

7:54pm Thu 14 Jun 12

burner says...

. . " Organisers hope the area will encourage shoppers to stay longer in the town centre. " . . . not much point if you've pre-paid for a limited parking time, is it? Same goes for most Town Centres. You pay for your hour and run round like hell ! . . . like the thought though.
. . " Organisers hope the area will encourage shoppers to stay longer in the town centre. " . . . not much point if you've pre-paid for a limited parking time, is it? Same goes for most Town Centres. You pay for your hour and run round like hell ! . . . like the thought though. burner
  • Score: 3

8:13pm Thu 14 Jun 12

carrman2 says...

Apart fro M & S and a few clothes shops Theres nothing in Burnley Centre, On a recent visi I found many shops closed down, It used be a busy little market with lots of good qaulity stuff, I suppose the out of town Malls havent helped
Apart fro M & S and a few clothes shops Theres nothing in Burnley Centre, On a recent visi I found many shops closed down, It used be a busy little market with lots of good qaulity stuff, I suppose the out of town Malls havent helped carrman2
  • Score: 1

8:24pm Thu 14 Jun 12

DaveBurnley says...

We don't need a chill out zone, if we want somewhere quiet we can wander round the indoor market, that's usually nice and quiet.
We don't need a chill out zone, if we want somewhere quiet we can wander round the indoor market, that's usually nice and quiet. DaveBurnley
  • Score: 0

8:27pm Thu 14 Jun 12

everywhere is sh1t says...

where did all them people come from they was no one there this afternoon
where did all them people come from they was no one there this afternoon everywhere is sh1t
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Thu 14 Jun 12

2 for 5p says...

The place will stink within a week it will be full of tramps and dross getting a warm
The place will stink within a week it will be full of tramps and dross getting a warm 2 for 5p
  • Score: 3

8:57pm Thu 14 Jun 12

Graham Hartley says...

Chilling? So the area is refrigerated so that one's frozen food purchases don't defrost.

It is chilling to realise that people are so fond of television that they will gather in such numbers to... well, watch TV; and do so without disagreeing about the channel to be watched.
Chilling? So the area is refrigerated so that one's frozen food purchases don't defrost. It is chilling to realise that people are so fond of television that they will gather in such numbers to... well, watch TV; and do so without disagreeing about the channel to be watched. Graham Hartley
  • Score: 2

9:03pm Thu 14 Jun 12

Graham Hartley says...

But this is Burnley, at the other end of the syncline and therefore popularly supposed to eat boiled eggs from the wrong end.

Innit?
But this is Burnley, at the other end of the syncline and therefore popularly supposed to eat boiled eggs from the wrong end. Innit? Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

9:23pm Thu 14 Jun 12

Graham Hartley says...

Nine people, or parts thereof, are pictured. Are all named Amy Leach and Rosemary Ebbs?
Nine people, or parts thereof, are pictured. Are all named Amy Leach and Rosemary Ebbs? Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

9:25pm Thu 14 Jun 12

Graham Hartley says...

Oh, dear me! Scabby manslayer!
Oh, dear me! Scabby manslayer! Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

9:36pm Thu 14 Jun 12

Stuart Farquar says...

sen c bl wrote:
Stuart Farquar wrote:
sen c bl wrote:
Stuart Farquar wrote:
happycyclist wrote: Isn't that what pubs are for?
They need some topless babes, then it will be Burnley's equivalent of Hooters lool
Go on Stuart F', get in there. You'll soon be walking up the aisle!!!
Go away you freaky weirdo.. Stalking me around the LT website HaHa ... I'm off out now to a 'gay' man party, sorry to rain on your parade.
Listen d1kead, it's you who needs to know what you've got in your pants rather than living a total complicated tart!!! So u p1sof.
I know exactly what's in my pants, although again, NONE of your business ! And the rest of your post.. None of us can work out what on earth your rambling about lol.. Lay of the crack pipe ;)
[quote][p][bold]sen c bl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c bl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: Isn't that what pubs are for?[/p][/quote]They need some topless babes, then it will be Burnley's equivalent of Hooters lool[/p][/quote]Go on Stuart F', get in there. You'll soon be walking up the aisle!!![/p][/quote]Go away you freaky weirdo.. Stalking me around the LT website HaHa ... I'm off out now to a 'gay' man party, sorry to rain on your parade.[/p][/quote]Listen d1kead, it's you who needs to know what you've got in your pants rather than living a total complicated tart!!! So u p1sof.[/p][/quote]I know exactly what's in my pants, although again, NONE of your business ! And the rest of your post.. None of us can work out what on earth your rambling about lol.. Lay of the crack pipe ;) Stuart Farquar
  • Score: 0

9:52pm Thu 14 Jun 12

golazzo says...

When did the market open for the euros, FFS. Kick offs are 17.00hrs and 19.45hrs. Pathetic once again
When did the market open for the euros, FFS. Kick offs are 17.00hrs and 19.45hrs. Pathetic once again golazzo
  • Score: 3

10:48pm Thu 14 Jun 12

Graham Hartley says...

Am i in yet..? wrote:
Them chairs are for sale on the jews market manchester cheap as chips.. At least they managed to fit a lovely BLUE sheet of linoleum infact with the white chairs and the white post it seems to have a real Rovers feel to it right in the centre of Burnley. Fcuking losers will try anything to be friends even turn their market into a Rovers relaxing room. Thanks but no thanks we hate you.
Oh, agreed! When such as yellow and green exist as alternatives, why choose syncline colours?
[quote][p][bold]Am i in yet..?[/bold] wrote: Them chairs are for sale on the jews market manchester cheap as chips.. At least they managed to fit a lovely BLUE sheet of linoleum infact with the white chairs and the white post it seems to have a real Rovers feel to it right in the centre of Burnley. Fcuking losers will try anything to be friends even turn their market into a Rovers relaxing room. Thanks but no thanks we hate you.[/p][/quote]Oh, agreed! When such as yellow and green exist as alternatives, why choose syncline colours? Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

8:43am Fri 15 Jun 12

everywhere is sh1t says...

the picture is great all the market workers sitting down and not one person in sight shopping must have been taken where the market was shut
the picture is great all the market workers sitting down and not one person in sight shopping must have been taken where the market was shut everywhere is sh1t
  • Score: 0

11:21am Fri 15 Jun 12

Cha'mone MF says...

Graham Hartley wrote:
Am i in yet..? wrote:
Them chairs are for sale on the jews market manchester cheap as chips.. At least they managed to fit a lovely BLUE sheet of linoleum infact with the white chairs and the white post it seems to have a real Rovers feel to it right in the centre of Burnley. Fcuking losers will try anything to be friends even turn their market into a Rovers relaxing room. Thanks but no thanks we hate you.
Oh, agreed! When such as yellow and green exist as alternatives, why choose syncline colours?
The blue and White "rovers sheet" is only there so they have something to wipe their @rses on if they run out of bog roll.
[quote][p][bold]Graham Hartley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Am i in yet..?[/bold] wrote: Them chairs are for sale on the jews market manchester cheap as chips.. At least they managed to fit a lovely BLUE sheet of linoleum infact with the white chairs and the white post it seems to have a real Rovers feel to it right in the centre of Burnley. Fcuking losers will try anything to be friends even turn their market into a Rovers relaxing room. Thanks but no thanks we hate you.[/p][/quote]Oh, agreed! When such as yellow and green exist as alternatives, why choose syncline colours?[/p][/quote]The blue and White "rovers sheet" is only there so they have something to wipe their @rses on if they run out of bog roll. Cha'mone MF
  • Score: 1

12:43pm Fri 15 Jun 12

Graham Hartley says...

Cha'mone MF wrote:
Graham Hartley wrote:
Am i in yet..? wrote:
Them chairs are for sale on the jews market manchester cheap as chips.. At least they managed to fit a lovely BLUE sheet of linoleum infact with the white chairs and the white post it seems to have a real Rovers feel to it right in the centre of Burnley. Fcuking losers will try anything to be friends even turn their market into a Rovers relaxing room. Thanks but no thanks we hate you.
Oh, agreed! When such as yellow and green exist as alternatives, why choose syncline colours?
The blue and White "rovers sheet" is only there so they have something to wipe their @rses on if they run out of bog roll.
Quite clearly the expected behaviour, if design and function are related in that way.
[quote][p][bold]Cha'mone MF[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Graham Hartley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Am i in yet..?[/bold] wrote: Them chairs are for sale on the jews market manchester cheap as chips.. At least they managed to fit a lovely BLUE sheet of linoleum infact with the white chairs and the white post it seems to have a real Rovers feel to it right in the centre of Burnley. Fcuking losers will try anything to be friends even turn their market into a Rovers relaxing room. Thanks but no thanks we hate you.[/p][/quote]Oh, agreed! When such as yellow and green exist as alternatives, why choose syncline colours?[/p][/quote]The blue and White "rovers sheet" is only there so they have something to wipe their @rses on if they run out of bog roll.[/p][/quote]Quite clearly the expected behaviour, if design and function are related in that way. Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Fri 15 Jun 12

sen c bl says...

Stuart Farquar wrote:
sen c bl wrote:
Stuart Farquar wrote:
sen c bl wrote:
Stuart Farquar wrote:
happycyclist wrote: Isn't that what pubs are for?
They need some topless babes, then it will be Burnley's equivalent of Hooters lool
Go on Stuart F', get in there. You'll soon be walking up the aisle!!!
Go away you freaky weirdo.. Stalking me around the LT website HaHa ... I'm off out now to a 'gay' man party, sorry to rain on your parade.
Listen d1kead, it's you who needs to know what you've got in your pants rather than living a total complicated tart!!! So u p1sof.
I know exactly what's in my pants, although again, NONE of your business ! And the rest of your post.. None of us can work out what on earth your rambling about lol.. Lay of the crack pipe ;)
None of my business, you wouldn't be posting comments!!!
What's in that shell is the worry, we actaully have muddled up humans walking the earth.
[quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c bl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c bl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: Isn't that what pubs are for?[/p][/quote]They need some topless babes, then it will be Burnley's equivalent of Hooters lool[/p][/quote]Go on Stuart F', get in there. You'll soon be walking up the aisle!!![/p][/quote]Go away you freaky weirdo.. Stalking me around the LT website HaHa ... I'm off out now to a 'gay' man party, sorry to rain on your parade.[/p][/quote]Listen d1kead, it's you who needs to know what you've got in your pants rather than living a total complicated tart!!! So u p1sof.[/p][/quote]I know exactly what's in my pants, although again, NONE of your business ! And the rest of your post.. None of us can work out what on earth your rambling about lol.. Lay of the crack pipe ;)[/p][/quote]None of my business, you wouldn't be posting comments!!! What's in that shell is the worry, we actaully have muddled up humans walking the earth. sen c bl
  • Score: 0

7:40pm Fri 15 Jun 12

Am i in yet..? says...

Cha'mone MF wrote:
Graham Hartley wrote:
Am i in yet..? wrote:
Them chairs are for sale on the jews market manchester cheap as chips.. At least they managed to fit a lovely BLUE sheet of linoleum infact with the white chairs and the white post it seems to have a real Rovers feel to it right in the centre of Burnley. Fcuking losers will try anything to be friends even turn their market into a Rovers relaxing room. Thanks but no thanks we hate you.
Oh, agreed! When such as yellow and green exist as alternatives, why choose syncline colours?
The blue and White "rovers sheet" is only there so they have something to wipe their @rses on if they run out of bog roll.
This is the kind of pr1ck that smashes his own town up as he clearly admits to wiping his @ss on seating when there is no toilet paper around. Fcuking backwards aren't they.
[quote][p][bold]Cha'mone MF[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Graham Hartley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Am i in yet..?[/bold] wrote: Them chairs are for sale on the jews market manchester cheap as chips.. At least they managed to fit a lovely BLUE sheet of linoleum infact with the white chairs and the white post it seems to have a real Rovers feel to it right in the centre of Burnley. Fcuking losers will try anything to be friends even turn their market into a Rovers relaxing room. Thanks but no thanks we hate you.[/p][/quote]Oh, agreed! When such as yellow and green exist as alternatives, why choose syncline colours?[/p][/quote]The blue and White "rovers sheet" is only there so they have something to wipe their @rses on if they run out of bog roll.[/p][/quote]This is the kind of pr1ck that smashes his own town up as he clearly admits to wiping his @ss on seating when there is no toilet paper around. Fcuking backwards aren't they. Am i in yet..?
  • Score: -1

12:39pm Sat 16 Jun 12

kitty kat says...

Wouldn't it have been better put to use as, oh I don't know, a market stall? Or perhaps I ought to make a football related comment.
Wouldn't it have been better put to use as, oh I don't know, a market stall? Or perhaps I ought to make a football related comment. kitty kat
  • Score: 0

3:38pm Sat 16 Jun 12

Stuart Farquar says...

sen c bl wrote:
Stuart Farquar wrote:
sen c bl wrote:
Stuart Farquar wrote:
sen c bl wrote:
Stuart Farquar wrote:
happycyclist wrote: Isn't that what pubs are for?
They need some topless babes, then it will be Burnley's equivalent of Hooters lool
Go on Stuart F', get in there. You'll soon be walking up the aisle!!!
Go away you freaky weirdo.. Stalking me around the LT website HaHa ... I'm off out now to a 'gay' man party, sorry to rain on your parade.
Listen d1kead, it's you who needs to know what you've got in your pants rather than living a total complicated tart!!! So u p1sof.
I know exactly what's in my pants, although again, NONE of your business ! And the rest of your post.. None of us can work out what on earth your rambling about lol.. Lay of the crack pipe ;)
None of my business, you wouldn't be posting comments!!! What's in that shell is the worry, we actaully have muddled up humans walking the earth.
Oh the irony lmfao
[quote][p][bold]sen c bl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c bl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sen c bl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stuart Farquar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: Isn't that what pubs are for?[/p][/quote]They need some topless babes, then it will be Burnley's equivalent of Hooters lool[/p][/quote]Go on Stuart F', get in there. You'll soon be walking up the aisle!!![/p][/quote]Go away you freaky weirdo.. Stalking me around the LT website HaHa ... I'm off out now to a 'gay' man party, sorry to rain on your parade.[/p][/quote]Listen d1kead, it's you who needs to know what you've got in your pants rather than living a total complicated tart!!! So u p1sof.[/p][/quote]I know exactly what's in my pants, although again, NONE of your business ! And the rest of your post.. None of us can work out what on earth your rambling about lol.. Lay of the crack pipe ;)[/p][/quote]None of my business, you wouldn't be posting comments!!! What's in that shell is the worry, we actaully have muddled up humans walking the earth.[/p][/quote]Oh the irony lmfao Stuart Farquar
  • Score: 0

10:11pm Sat 16 Jun 12

Graham Hartley says...

kitty kat wrote:
Wouldn't it have been better put to use as, oh I don't know, a market stall? Or perhaps I ought to make a football related comment.
The hypothesis has been proposed that LT writers prepare such reports with the full expectation that inter-synclinal rivalries will be roused.
[quote][p][bold]kitty kat[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it have been better put to use as, oh I don't know, a market stall? Or perhaps I ought to make a football related comment.[/p][/quote]The hypothesis has been proposed that LT writers prepare such reports with the full expectation that inter-synclinal rivalries will be roused. Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Sat 16 Jun 12

Graham Hartley says...

synclinal... should that be synclinial?
synclinal... should that be synclinial? Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree