Lancashire Telegraph'Most people in the borough oppose gay marriage' says Burnley MP (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

'Most people in the borough oppose gay marriage' says Burnley MP Gordon Birtwistle

Lancashire Telegraph: Gordon Birtwistle MP Gordon Birtwistle MP

AN East Lancashire MP has spoken out to explain why he voted against David Cameron’s gay marriage legislation.

Burnley MP Gordon Birtwistle said he staged a number of meetings in his con- stituency ahead of Tuesday night’s vote on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill.

Catholic priests had signalled their opposition to the move, as had all but two Anglican ministers locally, Mr Birtwistle told the Lancashire Telegraph. And he had received a 500-signature petition from a Burnley mosque, urging him to reject the bill, he said.

Mr Birtwistle said: “I have been against it right from the beginning because I believe that’s the view of the vast majority of people in Burnley.”

The Liberal Democrat MP was one of just four from his party to oppose the bill. He was also joined by 133 Tories, 15 Labour MPs, eight Democratic Unionists and one Independent.

Blackburn MP Jack Straw, Hyndburn’s Graham Jones and Pendle MP Andrew Stephenson each voted in favour of the bill, which will now be sent to the House of Lords.

Rossendale and Darwen MP Jake Berry, who made one brief intervention in the debate, just before 4pm, did not vote. He did, however, vote in favour of a number of amendments, proposed by critics of the bill, on Monday.

Because of their roles, neither Deputy Speakers Nigel Evans (Ribble Valley) nor Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley) voted.

Mr Evans is privately understood to be in favour of the bill, as is Lindsay Hoyle.

Under the law, same-sex couples will be allowed to marry. Possible opposition was weakened by an agreement by the government to review the future of civil partnerships.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:19am Fri 24 May 13

BogTrotter71 says...

So MPs and people who believe in wizards in the sky represent the majority of people do they? Idiots the lot of them...
So MPs and people who believe in wizards in the sky represent the majority of people do they? Idiots the lot of them... BogTrotter71
  • Score: 9

10:22am Fri 24 May 13

Angusam says...

It shouldn't matter who you choose to love.
It shouldn't matter who you choose to love. Angusam
  • Score: 5

10:26am Fri 24 May 13

happycyclist says...

Angusam wrote:
It shouldn't matter who you choose to love.
It DOESN'T matter who you choose to love, that's not the issue. The issue is who should be allowed to get married. Should siblings be allowed to get married?
[quote][p][bold]Angusam[/bold] wrote: It shouldn't matter who you choose to love.[/p][/quote]It DOESN'T matter who you choose to love, that's not the issue. The issue is who should be allowed to get married. Should siblings be allowed to get married? happycyclist
  • Score: 0

11:21am Fri 24 May 13

blylad says...

I am a practising Catholic but I don't agree with Mr Birtwistle or the local Catholic clergy. I believe that everyone has the right to be officially married no matter who they love, male or female. The only issue I would have is that no religious institute should be "forced" to marry same-sex couples. Same sex couples have as much right to a legal marriage as anyone else.
I am a practising Catholic but I don't agree with Mr Birtwistle or the local Catholic clergy. I believe that everyone has the right to be officially married no matter who they love, male or female. The only issue I would have is that no religious institute should be "forced" to marry same-sex couples. Same sex couples have as much right to a legal marriage as anyone else. blylad
  • Score: 1

11:22am Fri 24 May 13

35yearSurrenderMonkeys says...

The only people who keep droning on about it being OK are the ones who think its normal when it aint.
The only people who keep droning on about it being OK are the ones who think its normal when it aint. 35yearSurrenderMonkeys
  • Score: -6

11:23am Fri 24 May 13

35yearSurrenderMonkeys says...

Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.
Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness. 35yearSurrenderMonkeys
  • Score: -9

11:41am Fri 24 May 13

Angusam says...

35yearSurrenderMonke
ys
wrote:
Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.
What do you suggest as a cure "Shock Therapy".
[quote][p][bold]35yearSurrenderMonke ys[/bold] wrote: Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.[/p][/quote]What do you suggest as a cure "Shock Therapy". Angusam
  • Score: 2

11:57am Fri 24 May 13

midas says...

35yearSurrenderMonke
ys
wrote:
Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.
The vast majority of people don't go to Church or the Mosque, has he considered their views and if so how did he gauge their feelings?
.
35years - theres a shock I never had you down as a swivel eyed bigot (honest!)
[quote][p][bold]35yearSurrenderMonke ys[/bold] wrote: Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.[/p][/quote]The vast majority of people don't go to Church or the Mosque, has he considered their views and if so how did he gauge their feelings? . 35years - theres a shock I never had you down as a swivel eyed bigot (honest!) midas
  • Score: 5

12:08pm Fri 24 May 13

andy1 says...

35yearSurrenderMonke
ys
wrote:
Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.
Your abnormal having read a lot of your boring comments. Changing your name every other week.
[quote][p][bold]35yearSurrenderMonke ys[/bold] wrote: Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.[/p][/quote]Your abnormal having read a lot of your boring comments. Changing your name every other week. andy1
  • Score: 2

12:11pm Fri 24 May 13

Whitehall Rover says...

35yearSurrenderMonke
ys
wrote:
The only people who keep droning on about it being OK are the ones who think its normal when it aint.
Ok then - define 'Normal'
[quote][p][bold]35yearSurrenderMonke ys[/bold] wrote: The only people who keep droning on about it being OK are the ones who think its normal when it aint.[/p][/quote]Ok then - define 'Normal' Whitehall Rover
  • Score: 1

12:12pm Fri 24 May 13

35yearSurrenderMonkeys says...

midas wrote:
35yearSurrenderMonke

ys
wrote:
Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.
The vast majority of people don't go to Church or the Mosque, has he considered their views and if so how did he gauge their feelings?
.
35years - theres a shock I never had you down as a swivel eyed bigot (honest!)
Its quite funny actually, getting all up tight about a ceremony of union that some want done. But yet they say they don't believe in wizards in the sky, so why the ceremony?. So they can have it one way or the other and yes my opinion is, being gay is just not right at all.There are some people who the gay lobby have brainwashed into thinking its okay, but its the gay lobby who have told them so with there constant bombardment.
Bring back the good old days when it brought prosecution.
[quote][p][bold]midas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35yearSurrenderMonke ys[/bold] wrote: Its abnormal, or maybe even a disease or illness.[/p][/quote]The vast majority of people don't go to Church or the Mosque, has he considered their views and if so how did he gauge their feelings? . 35years - theres a shock I never had you down as a swivel eyed bigot (honest!)[/p][/quote]Its quite funny actually, getting all up tight about a ceremony of union that some want done. But yet they say they don't believe in wizards in the sky, so why the ceremony?. So they can have it one way or the other and yes my opinion is, being gay is just not right at all.There are some people who the gay lobby have brainwashed into thinking its okay, but its the gay lobby who have told them so with there constant bombardment. Bring back the good old days when it brought prosecution. 35yearSurrenderMonkeys
  • Score: -1

12:15pm Fri 24 May 13

35yearSurrenderMonkeys says...

Whitehall Rover wrote:
35yearSurrenderMonke

ys
wrote:
The only people who keep droning on about it being OK are the ones who think its normal when it aint.
Ok then - define 'Normal'
The meaning of life, that is normal. And that is the continuation of the species. Pretty impossible in a gay world isn't it.
[quote][p][bold]Whitehall Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35yearSurrenderMonke ys[/bold] wrote: The only people who keep droning on about it being OK are the ones who think its normal when it aint.[/p][/quote]Ok then - define 'Normal'[/p][/quote]The meaning of life, that is normal. And that is the continuation of the species. Pretty impossible in a gay world isn't it. 35yearSurrenderMonkeys
  • Score: 4

12:20pm Fri 24 May 13

Whitehall Rover says...

But being gay to them is 'normal' and this should be respected, just as everyone else is respected in their worlds. You obviously do not have friends or family that are gay.
But being gay to them is 'normal' and this should be respected, just as everyone else is respected in their worlds. You obviously do not have friends or family that are gay. Whitehall Rover
  • Score: 3

12:32pm Fri 24 May 13

35yearSurrenderMonkeys says...

Okay then I'll put it another way. The continuation of the species cannot occur naturally in a gay world. We would not exist. You must agree with that statement surely. Therefore, in my spock logic type mind, it cannot be natural to the human species to live in a gay world, otherwise we would not live at all, therefore it is not natural or normal to be gay.
Got there eventually.
Okay then I'll put it another way. The continuation of the species cannot occur naturally in a gay world. We would not exist. You must agree with that statement surely. Therefore, in my spock logic type mind, it cannot be natural to the human species to live in a gay world, otherwise we would not live at all, therefore it is not natural or normal to be gay. Got there eventually. 35yearSurrenderMonkeys
  • Score: 1

12:47pm Fri 24 May 13

Whitehall Rover says...

35yearSurrenderMonke
ys
wrote:
Okay then I'll put it another way. The continuation of the species cannot occur naturally in a gay world. We would not exist. You must agree with that statement surely. Therefore, in my spock logic type mind, it cannot be natural to the human species to live in a gay world, otherwise we would not live at all, therefore it is not natural or normal to be gay.
Got there eventually.
Yes but the point being "it is normal to them" and yes I take your point.
[quote][p][bold]35yearSurrenderMonke ys[/bold] wrote: Okay then I'll put it another way. The continuation of the species cannot occur naturally in a gay world. We would not exist. You must agree with that statement surely. Therefore, in my spock logic type mind, it cannot be natural to the human species to live in a gay world, otherwise we would not live at all, therefore it is not natural or normal to be gay. Got there eventually.[/p][/quote]Yes but the point being "it is normal to them" and yes I take your point. Whitehall Rover
  • Score: 1

12:54pm Fri 24 May 13

35yearSurrenderMonkeys says...

Whitehall Rover wrote:
35yearSurrenderMonke

ys
wrote:
Okay then I'll put it another way. The continuation of the species cannot occur naturally in a gay world. We would not exist. You must agree with that statement surely. Therefore, in my spock logic type mind, it cannot be natural to the human species to live in a gay world, otherwise we would not live at all, therefore it is not natural or normal to be gay.
Got there eventually.
Yes but the point being "it is normal to them" and yes I take your point.
Okay then I will concede, I don't mind gay people at all really, so long as they don't try it on with me.
[quote][p][bold]Whitehall Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35yearSurrenderMonke ys[/bold] wrote: Okay then I'll put it another way. The continuation of the species cannot occur naturally in a gay world. We would not exist. You must agree with that statement surely. Therefore, in my spock logic type mind, it cannot be natural to the human species to live in a gay world, otherwise we would not live at all, therefore it is not natural or normal to be gay. Got there eventually.[/p][/quote]Yes but the point being "it is normal to them" and yes I take your point.[/p][/quote]Okay then I will concede, I don't mind gay people at all really, so long as they don't try it on with me. 35yearSurrenderMonkeys
  • Score: 1

1:29pm Fri 24 May 13

timian says...

Why on earth would they would they want to?
Why on earth would they would they want to? timian
  • Score: 4

2:31pm Fri 24 May 13

Interocitor says...

I'd love to know just what kind of a liberal Mr Birtwistle is because I've yet to see any evidence that he is one?
I'd love to know just what kind of a liberal Mr Birtwistle is because I've yet to see any evidence that he is one? Interocitor
  • Score: 4

5:24pm Fri 24 May 13

Good call says...

I don't personally know anyone who cares about gay marriage, gays included. What you should be concerned about is the Data and Communication Bill, also known as the Snoopers Charter that would establish a database of all Internet and phone use. It was recently rejected but some are calling for it to be put before parliament again, after the woolwich attack.
I don't personally know anyone who cares about gay marriage, gays included. What you should be concerned about is the Data and Communication Bill, also known as the Snoopers Charter that would establish a database of all Internet and phone use. It was recently rejected but some are calling for it to be put before parliament again, after the woolwich attack. Good call
  • Score: 2

6:54pm Fri 24 May 13

Ian123xyz says...

Appalling. This from a lib dem in a "free" society. How about standing as a theocrat next time?

Perhaps you can run any future plans by the mosque just to make sure you have their permission.
Appalling. This from a lib dem in a "free" society. How about standing as a theocrat next time? Perhaps you can run any future plans by the mosque just to make sure you have their permission. Ian123xyz
  • Score: 1

8:05pm Fri 24 May 13

darwenTower says...

happycyclist wrote:
Angusam wrote:
It shouldn't matter who you choose to love.
It DOESN'T matter who you choose to love, that's not the issue. The issue is who should be allowed to get married. Should siblings be allowed to get married?
I heard a similar quote the other day I think from a UKIP spokesman.

It got me thinking that if someone did want to marry their sibling what has it got to do with me?
I don't want to marry mine but what others do is none of my business.

Same with gay people, if you're against gay marriage then don't marry a gay person.

I speak as someone who is neither gay nor married.
[quote][p][bold]happycyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angusam[/bold] wrote: It shouldn't matter who you choose to love.[/p][/quote]It DOESN'T matter who you choose to love, that's not the issue. The issue is who should be allowed to get married. Should siblings be allowed to get married?[/p][/quote]I heard a similar quote the other day I think from a UKIP spokesman. It got me thinking that if someone did want to marry their sibling what has it got to do with me? I don't want to marry mine but what others do is none of my business. Same with gay people, if you're against gay marriage then don't marry a gay person. I speak as someone who is neither gay nor married. darwenTower
  • Score: -1

12:08am Sat 25 May 13

Darwen Malc says...

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, Gay organisations hold 'Pride' events so that gay people can celebrate their difference. There are now Civil Partnerships, which, as far as I am aware, bestow the same, if not similar rights, so what's wrong with that. And before you all start calling me a homophobe, I am gay, but I can't help wondering whether all the resources that this government are throwing at this issue couldn't be better directed at things that actually really matter to the vast majority of the British populous.
I have said it before, and I'll say it again, Gay organisations hold 'Pride' events so that gay people can celebrate their difference. There are now Civil Partnerships, which, as far as I am aware, bestow the same, if not similar rights, so what's wrong with that. And before you all start calling me a homophobe, I am gay, but I can't help wondering whether all the resources that this government are throwing at this issue couldn't be better directed at things that actually really matter to the vast majority of the British populous. Darwen Malc
  • Score: 2

3:27am Sat 25 May 13

Truth will out says...

Shockingly out of touch. Would love to know exactly how many people our MP polled for this decision support - 5,10?

The 500 sigs from the mosque is significant.

I'd say most people in the borough want to see Sharia law outlawed in the UK - why doesn't Mr. Birtwistle go back to the mosque with that response.
Shockingly out of touch. Would love to know exactly how many people our MP polled for this decision support - 5,10? The 500 sigs from the mosque is significant. I'd say most people in the borough want to see Sharia law outlawed in the UK - why doesn't Mr. Birtwistle go back to the mosque with that response. Truth will out
  • Score: 2

8:25pm Sat 25 May 13

2 for 5p says...

At last finally a MP who actually listens to his constituents. Most people disagree with gays marriage, there just to frightened of saying anything, in case they get labeled biggots.
At best homosexuality is a illness
At last finally a MP who actually listens to his constituents. Most people disagree with gays marriage, there just to frightened of saying anything, in case they get labeled biggots. At best homosexuality is a illness 2 for 5p
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree