Lancashire TelegraphOnly 49 per cent of staff would recommend East Lancashire hospitals to family (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Only 49 per cent of staff would recommend East Lancashire hospitals to family

Lancashire Telegraph: Royal Blackburn Hospital Royal Blackburn Hospital

ONLY half of Royal Blackburn and Burnley General staff would be happy for the hospitals to treat their friends and family, according to newly published survey results.

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust [ELHT] has performed badly on the headline measure in the 2013 NHS Staff Survey, receiving the 17th lowest score out of 160 trusts.

Just 51 per cent of staff said they would be happy with the standard of treatment if their friend or relative was a patient at the trust.

The national average was 65 per cent.

The score is unsurprising given ELHT has been in special measures for seven months, after NHS inspectors made wide-ranging criticisms of the way it has been run over several years.

Bosses said they were ‘disappointed’ with the survey results, but pointed to strong scores around staff feeling able to contribute toward improvements, effective team working, staff not working extra hours and not suffering work-related stress.

Nearly 1,700 workers took part in the survey.

Kevin Moynes, interim director of human resources and organisational development at ELHT, said: “We appreciate it has been a difficult year for all our staff but we are confident that things are improving at the trust. This demonstrates that we are getting things right in certain areas and are well on the way to improving future results.

“We are better than average in 16 of the 28 areas, average in five and there are seven areas of concern which we are already addressing.”

Steve Flanagan, regional director for the Royal College of Nursing in the North West, said: “Many of our region’s trusts are doing well but there are pockets of concern too.

“East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust is under significant pressure from increasing demands.

“It is vitally important that management teams across the NHS listen to front-line nurses, and health care assistants, as they seek to improve on their scores from last year.”

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:52pm Thu 27 Feb 14

mavrick says...

Sod the scores, Let's have some better qualified staff and address their retention concerns. This was a good hospital gone very very bad. Management will always take the positives from a survey and promise action on the less desirable complaints. It is about time both the government and the NHS came clean about the future plans for the ELHT hospitals. I for one would not choose to use the RBH under any circumstances. I could not recommend them to anybody. It is a tragic state of affairs when I feel like that, The NHS was the jewel in this countries crow. The people who worked in it were proud of their service, People had respect for nurses and doctors, they have to put up with the drunken foul mouthed scum that adorn our A&E at weekends. who would have thought we would have to employ security guards or police to protect staff at work. Blackburn had two great hospitals until the accountants got involved. Burnley general will never get it's A&E services back again thanks to accountants, and the senior medical staff who went along with it.
We can return the trust and respect in our NHS but we will all have to pull together. we need to rid the service of ambulance chasers, disrespect from people, which can be challenged quite easily. But most of all make sure you TELL the politicians what YOU want and not just what they are offering.
Sod the scores, Let's have some better qualified staff and address their retention concerns. This was a good hospital gone very very bad. Management will always take the positives from a survey and promise action on the less desirable complaints. It is about time both the government and the NHS came clean about the future plans for the ELHT hospitals. I for one would not choose to use the RBH under any circumstances. I could not recommend them to anybody. It is a tragic state of affairs when I feel like that, The NHS was the jewel in this countries crow. The people who worked in it were proud of their service, People had respect for nurses and doctors, they have to put up with the drunken foul mouthed scum that adorn our A&E at weekends. who would have thought we would have to employ security guards or police to protect staff at work. Blackburn had two great hospitals until the accountants got involved. Burnley general will never get it's A&E services back again thanks to accountants, and the senior medical staff who went along with it. We can return the trust and respect in our NHS but we will all have to pull together. we need to rid the service of ambulance chasers, disrespect from people, which can be challenged quite easily. But most of all make sure you TELL the politicians what YOU want and not just what they are offering. mavrick
  • Score: 6

4:54pm Thu 27 Feb 14

BurnleyBorn&Bred says...

I take it the 51 % of staff who said they would be happy with the standard of treatment if their friend or relative was a patient at the trust have never had one of their nearest and dearest in one of the trusts hospitals and the other 49 % have had the unfortunate experience first hand !!!!
I take it the 51 % of staff who said they would be happy with the standard of treatment if their friend or relative was a patient at the trust have never had one of their nearest and dearest in one of the trusts hospitals and the other 49 % have had the unfortunate experience first hand !!!! BurnleyBorn&Bred
  • Score: 5

6:26pm Thu 27 Feb 14

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

Not what a future patient wants to read, deeply worried about our hospitals, I'd rather pay more Tax than let things get to this state of affairs.
Not what a future patient wants to read, deeply worried about our hospitals, I'd rather pay more Tax than let things get to this state of affairs. Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: -1

11:16pm Thu 27 Feb 14

Mr Blunt says...

The only way you will see improvements in that place is to get rid of the dead wood!! Only the other day I had the misfortune of seeing a YouTube video of a so called ''modern matron"!! It was like a micro fiction movie!!! The star of which claims to care and support staff!! I'm pretty sure the reason for the 'movie' was so staff would recognise him if he popped onto a ward!!
The only way you will see improvements in that place is to get rid of the dead wood!! Only the other day I had the misfortune of seeing a YouTube video of a so called ''modern matron"!! It was like a micro fiction movie!!! The star of which claims to care and support staff!! I'm pretty sure the reason for the 'movie' was so staff would recognise him if he popped onto a ward!! Mr Blunt
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree