When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Tributes to 'adventurous' Langho 23-year-old
Updated 1:41pm Monday 28th January 2013 in News
THE family of an ‘adventurous’ 23-year-old who died while working at a ski resort in France have said they are devastated by her death.
Fiona Watson, of Lowerfield, Langho, was found dead in bed in the Meribel skiing resort.
She had been due to fly home tomorrow.
The former St Augustine’s school pupil had type one diabetes and, it is believed, went into a coma brought on by a hypoglycemic attack.
Stunned family members were given the news by a police officer.
Fiona left behind her mum and dad, Donna, 50, and Christopher, 52, brothers Daniel, 26, and Aiden, 11, and grandparents Bob and Irene Best.
Dad Christopher said his daughter had been in France since November.
He said: “We hadn’t seen her since she left.
“It was a complete shock. I had just dropped Aiden off at school and saw the police car in the street.
“I didn’t realise the police were coming to our house.”
Mr Watson said Fiona was very adventurous.
He said: “She loved doing all the stuff I wouldn’t dare.
“She went bungee jumping in New Zealand, and parachuting as well.
“She also loved jogging and swimming. She was very keen to be healthy.
“When she was at school I took her everywhere playing rounders.”
Mr Watson said the loss of his daughter had left a big hole.
He said: “She will be deeply missed.
“She was beautiful and had such a lovely smile. In all the photographs we have of her she had this huge smile.
“She could wrap me right round her little finger.
“Fiona had such a huge amount of friends and was very well thought of.
“Our house has been full ever since we got the terrible news.”
Fiona, died on Monday, was a former pupil at St Mary’s RC Primary School in Langho. After attending St Augustine’s she went on to study beauty therapy at Blackburn College.
After leaving college she got a job at Simply The Best beauty salon in Whalley.
Sarah MacMillan, owner of the saloon, said Fiona would be missed by all her customers.
She said: “She worked here from being about 17 and she was always such a happy person.
“She was a gentle, kind and fun-loving girl.
“All our clients absolutely adored her. We have got a book for them to sign and it will be filled by the time it is finished.
“Everyone loved her so much. She was our best friend.”
After leaving the saloon she spent eight months last year travelling around Australia, and upon returning to Langho she worked part-time at Simply The Best and the Three Fishes pub in Mitton.
Eventually she got a job working in the beauty spa at Stanley House, but had decided to go travelling again and got a job with luxury chalet firm Alp Leisure Ltd.
A spokeswoman for Diabetes UK said: “It is very uncommon for somebody to die in their sleep from a hypoglycemic attack.
“Usually, there will be symptoms, like becoming very cold, and the person will wake up and realise what is happening.”
Funeral details are still to be finalised.
Comments are closed on this article.