When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Sickness continues to affect operations at Royal Blackburn Hospital
10:07am Wednesday 9th January 2013 in News
BOSSES at Royal Blackburn Hospital are continuing to review the cancellation of operations on a daily basis.
A number of non-emergency operations have been cancelled this week as the hospital experiences a high volume of sick patients being admitted displaying flu like symptoms.
Dr Ian Stanley, deputy medical director at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said: “Any deferment or cancellation of an operation is done on an individual basis by the clinical team in charge of each patients care.
“We will continue to review the situation on a daily basis but can assure the public that any decision to cancel or defer is only being done as a last resort.
“On behalf of the trust I sincerely apologise for any disruption or inconvenience, however, patient safety is our top priority.
One of the latest victims is 72-year-old Mohammed Ashraf, of Brierfield, who was due to undergo a prostate operation on Monday morning.
Mr Ashraf, the son of Brierfield councillor Naeem Ashraf, arrived at the hospital at 8.45am only to be told his operation had been cancelled.
Hospital chiefs said they had contacted Mr Ashraf prior to the consultation, but Coun Ashraf said his dad had not been told.
He said: “It is absolutely ridiculous that there are no beds. You gear yourself up for the operation then find out it is cancelled.
“We’ve had no contact from the hospital since either, so we don’t know what is happening or when it is being rearranged for.
“I’m not just speaking on behalf of my dad, this has happened to other people and it is not right.”
Comments are closed on this article.