A BOMB disposal squad carried out a controlled blast after suspected explosives were found in a terraced house.
Police were called to Wensley Road, Blackburn, where they seized black powder, an ammunition box and fuses.
The bomb team was not able to make the items safe at the house so officers carried out a controlled explosion on Blackpool beach.
Police said they were doing tests to see what the materials were and whether any offences have been committed.
Landlord Iqbal Patel, who rents out the house, said he was shocked when police told him suspected explosives were found.
The 46-year-old decorator said: “This has been an absolute nightmare. It has been a terrible shock that the police have found these items.
“It was left in such a state, but I am just glad to have my house back.”
Neighbours said six police vehicles met at a car park off Apple Street at around 11am on Saturday (Dec 1), before making their way to the house.
The bomb disposal team arrived a few hours later and the officers were there until around 6pm.
Adil Lincoln, a 26-year-old decorator, who lives across the road from the property, said he was concerned that potential explosives had been found in his street.
He said: “It is terrifying that someone could have had dangerous materials.
“People were really shocked.
“There was a bomb squad parked right outside my house.
“I never expected anything like that to happen around here.”
Olivia Crosby, 38, who also lives in Wensley Road, said: “We had no idea what was going on in there.
“It was very unusual when we saw the bomb squad.
“We never spoke to the guy who lived there, he only ever used the back door and kept himself to himself.”
A police spokesman said: “We were called at 10.45am on Saturday.
“When police have searched the house, they found black powder, an ammunition box and some fuses as well as knives and an ornamental cannon.
“The Explosive Ordnance Disposal team could not make them safe, so they have taken them away and carried out a controlled explosion on Blackpool beach in the early hours of the morning.”
It is understood the beach was chosen as the sand absorbs the impact of explosive devices.
A 30-year-old man has been arrested and charged with assault.