East Lancashire man's appeal against murder conviction thrown out

MURDERER: Anthony Wood

VICTIM: Louise Evans

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A MURDERER jailed for life for orchestrating the killing of teenager Louise Evans has seen his appeal thrown out by top judges.

Anthony Wood, 22, was sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty of planning and encouraging the 19-year-old’s brutal murder, which was carried out by Matthew Maw, 20, in July 2009.

Wood, from Rawtenstall, was convicted on the basis of joint enterprise, with the prosecution accepting he did not inflict any physical injuries.

Last year he lodged an appeal against his conviction and sentence, claiming the trial judge gave the jury flawed directions on how to approach certain evidence.

And his family and friends launched the Free Anthony Wood Now (FAWN) campaign to support his bid.

But it was not enough to convince the High Court to grant the appeal.

Rejecting Wood’s claims, Lord Justice Pitchford, sitting in London’s Appeal Court, said he was ‘not satisfied that the judge’s approach can reasonably be faulted’.

Louise, who had lived in Haslingden, died after being repeatedly stabbed with a knife and beaten with a large piece of wood in a secluded wooded area behind Towneley Hall, Burnley.

The former Haslingden High School and Accrington and Rossendale College student was living at the Elizabeth Street Project hostel, Burnley, at the time she was murdered.

Before a two-week trial at Preston Crown Court in December 2009, Maw pleaded guilty to murder.

The jury later heard Wood had recruited Maw to kill Louise, who had been ‘annoying him’.

Wood was put behind bars for at least 23 years and Maw was handed a minimum term of 18 years and 35 weeks.

Lord Justice Pitchford refused to reduce Wood’s term in light of his key role in instigating the offence.

However, he cut Maw’s term to 16 years and eight months to reflect his guilty plea, youth, and immaturity.

Today Gillian Phillips, who spearheaded the FAWN campaign, vowed to continue to fight on Wood’s behalf.

She said: “We will never stop until the truth eventually comes out.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:17pm Sun 22 May 11

freeanthonywoodnow says...

Anthony had a trial that was rushed through court, where all the evidence available to prove his innocence was not used. On the evidence provided, the jury had no choice but to bring in their guilty verdict. The justice system in England prevents us from challenging this.
We feel sorry for the memory of Louise in that the person who bludgeoned her to death actually gets his sentence reduced but her friend Anthony gets penalised for trying to stop him.
We would like to thank all Anthony’s family, friends and supporters for their support and belief in him.
We will continue in this fight for justice for Anthony and Louise and will never stop until the truth eventually comes out.
Anyone wanting to show support to Anthony can do so via freeanthonywoodnow.c
o.uk
Anyone else affected by the Joint Enterprise Law can contact either ourselves via the website or the joint enterprise website. www.jointenterprise.
co/
Anthony had a trial that was rushed through court, where all the evidence available to prove his innocence was not used. On the evidence provided, the jury had no choice but to bring in their guilty verdict. The justice system in England prevents us from challenging this. We feel sorry for the memory of Louise in that the person who bludgeoned her to death actually gets his sentence reduced but her friend Anthony gets penalised for trying to stop him. We would like to thank all Anthony’s family, friends and supporters for their support and belief in him. We will continue in this fight for justice for Anthony and Louise and will never stop until the truth eventually comes out. Anyone wanting to show support to Anthony can do so via freeanthonywoodnow.c o.uk Anyone else affected by the Joint Enterprise Law can contact either ourselves via the website or the joint enterprise website. www.jointenterprise. co/ freeanthonywoodnow
  • Score: 0

10:23pm Sun 22 May 11

Mikeee47 says...

Great to see the law judges getting tough with these scum bags. Did he attempt to stop the attack. No he stood by and watched makes him just as guilty. The only people who know the truth were at the scene, thats why they employ DEFENCE lawyers to get them off. Good sentence I say, the streets are a bit safer
Great to see the law judges getting tough with these scum bags. Did he attempt to stop the attack. No he stood by and watched makes him just as guilty. The only people who know the truth were at the scene, thats why they employ DEFENCE lawyers to get them off. Good sentence I say, the streets are a bit safer Mikeee47
  • Score: 1

1:20am Mon 23 May 11

nice person says...

The jury later heard Wood had recruited Maw to kill Louise, who had been ‘annoying him.
.
If this had not happened then louise would still be alive today.If he instigated this and stood by and watched it should be remorse he's feeling,for all the lives he has destroyed.
The jury later heard Wood had recruited Maw to kill Louise, who had been ‘annoying him. . If this had not happened then louise would still be alive today.If he instigated this and stood by and watched it should be remorse he's feeling,for all the lives he has destroyed. nice person
  • Score: 0

8:26am Mon 23 May 11

bikerjohn_uk says...

He's just as guilty as the guy who actually did the dirty work. String 'em both up and save the taxpayer some money.
He's just as guilty as the guy who actually did the dirty work. String 'em both up and save the taxpayer some money. bikerjohn_uk
  • Score: 0

9:14am Mon 23 May 11

mys says...

Ha ha what a joke,the little scum bag needs torturing himself along with the other murderer,how can his friends and family have the nerve to campaign his innosense,there just as guilty as he is,poor louise cant speak up ,so what gives them the right to even get to the appeal court,im glad the judge has ignored his plea,its about time the law in this country stick up for the victims,its easy to blame someone else when the event is over and you have time to get your story right,well in this case not eh,i hope they both rot in hell and RIP louise,justice has been done for you sweetheat xx
Ha ha what a joke,the little scum bag needs torturing himself along with the other murderer,how can his friends and family have the nerve to campaign his innosense,there just as guilty as he is,poor louise cant speak up ,so what gives them the right to even get to the appeal court,im glad the judge has ignored his plea,its about time the law in this country stick up for the victims,its easy to blame someone else when the event is over and you have time to get your story right,well in this case not eh,i hope they both rot in hell and RIP louise,justice has been done for you sweetheat xx mys
  • Score: 1

11:39am Mon 23 May 11

Mikeee47 says...

In the day and age when everyone has a mobile did he call for help, or dial 999 NO! rot in jail with your scummy pal. He sttod by and watched a murder & did nothing if thats the case, Your a coward too.
In the day and age when everyone has a mobile did he call for help, or dial 999 NO! rot in jail with your scummy pal. He sttod by and watched a murder & did nothing if thats the case, Your a coward too. Mikeee47
  • Score: 0

11:58am Mon 23 May 11

useyourhead says...

I hope it serves as an example that if you behave like an animal you will get caged.
-
Actually, worse than an animal because they only kill to survive. He should shut up and stop wasting further money on appeals too.
-
No one was to hear bleeding heart appeals from relatives either!
I hope it serves as an example that if you behave like an animal you will get caged. - Actually, worse than an animal because they only kill to survive. He should shut up and stop wasting further money on appeals too. - No one was to hear bleeding heart appeals from relatives either! useyourhead
  • Score: 0

12:38pm Mon 23 May 11

Keep Darwen Green says...

freeanthonywoodnow wrote:
Anthony had a trial that was rushed through court, where all the evidence available to prove his innocence was not used. On the evidence provided, the jury had no choice but to bring in their guilty verdict. The justice system in England prevents us from challenging this. We feel sorry for the memory of Louise in that the person who bludgeoned her to death actually gets his sentence reduced but her friend Anthony gets penalised for trying to stop him. We would like to thank all Anthony’s family, friends and supporters for their support and belief in him. We will continue in this fight for justice for Anthony and Louise and will never stop until the truth eventually comes out. Anyone wanting to show support to Anthony can do so via freeanthonywoodnow.c o.uk Anyone else affected by the Joint Enterprise Law can contact either ourselves via the website or the joint enterprise website. www.jointenterprise. co/
Everyone except you morons think he got what he dserved. Deal with it and stop trying to wipe his sorry @ss. It was his idea, none of it would have happened if it wasn't for him. Stop deluding yourself. The monkey got what he deserved. Pity he won't swing.Never mind, maybe he'll try it himself and save the taxpayer.
[quote][p][bold]freeanthonywoodnow[/bold] wrote: Anthony had a trial that was rushed through court, where all the evidence available to prove his innocence was not used. On the evidence provided, the jury had no choice but to bring in their guilty verdict. The justice system in England prevents us from challenging this. We feel sorry for the memory of Louise in that the person who bludgeoned her to death actually gets his sentence reduced but her friend Anthony gets penalised for trying to stop him. We would like to thank all Anthony’s family, friends and supporters for their support and belief in him. We will continue in this fight for justice for Anthony and Louise and will never stop until the truth eventually comes out. Anyone wanting to show support to Anthony can do so via freeanthonywoodnow.c o.uk Anyone else affected by the Joint Enterprise Law can contact either ourselves via the website or the joint enterprise website. www.jointenterprise. co/[/p][/quote]Everyone except you morons think he got what he dserved. Deal with it and stop trying to wipe his sorry @ss. It was his idea, none of it would have happened if it wasn't for him. Stop deluding yourself. The monkey got what he deserved. Pity he won't swing.Never mind, maybe he'll try it himself and save the taxpayer. Keep Darwen Green
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Mon 23 May 11

CapitaBackHander says...

Look at the top comment LOL.
Appeal on blaming judge and then comment blaming own defence team for not proving innocent.
Desperate stuff.. can you not accept the reality that someone might be scum...
Look at the top comment LOL. Appeal on blaming judge and then comment blaming own defence team for not proving innocent. Desperate stuff.. can you not accept the reality that someone might be scum... CapitaBackHander
  • Score: 0

4:42pm Mon 23 May 11

Heretical says...

freeanthonywood'
I'm sorry I don't understand what your post.
It seems that your appeal was about the Statute or are you questioning only the Judge's directions to the jury.But then it seems that you are complaining about withheld evidence?or perhaps an incompetent defense or perhaps new evidence.
If you are suggesting that there has been a provable miscarriage of justice then there are barristers who will provide help pro bono.
Perhaps your appeal should have been evidence based.
freeanthonywood' I'm sorry I don't understand what your post. It seems that your appeal was about the Statute or are you questioning only the Judge's directions to the jury.But then it seems that you are complaining about withheld evidence?or perhaps an incompetent defense or perhaps new evidence. If you are suggesting that there has been a provable miscarriage of justice then there are barristers who will provide help pro bono. Perhaps your appeal should have been evidence based. Heretical
  • Score: 0

8:09pm Mon 23 May 11

brianarchie says...

What if this young man is the victim of injustice, what if the powers that be got it wrong, it is not unknown, and unless we know all the facts, and how can we, we only know what we read in the papers,we dont know ALL the details or the people involved, untill then we should hold our comments,lest the injustice happens to one of ours.
What if this young man is the victim of injustice, what if the powers that be got it wrong, it is not unknown, and unless we know all the facts, and how can we, we only know what we read in the papers,we dont know ALL the details or the people involved, untill then we should hold our comments,lest the injustice happens to one of ours. brianarchie
  • Score: 0

10:04am Tue 24 May 11

Luna-dubs says...

Well said, im sick of people instantly taking the media's side of events, just because thats what they have been told. Its almost like you cant make your own mind up! And it always boils down to paying your taxes. Im sorry, but until people have sat in that courtroom, and heard both sides of the story, they shouldnt jump to conclusions so quickly like sheep. I was personally horrified when i read this yesterday. I used to go to school with Anthony, and was so shocked to hear this as he never ever came across as the kind of person to instigate a murder. I feel there should be another trial, how would u feel if your son was held in jail and you had serious doubts. You would fight with your last ounce of strength for his freedom. Im not saying he is guilty or not guilty, Just hate this being about the "taxpayer". No one gives a **** about giving taxes to our government to spend on weapons, and arms, and bombs. Maybe you should be reading the Daily Mail with the rest of the sheep. BAHHH
Well said, im sick of people instantly taking the media's side of events, just because thats what they have been told. Its almost like you cant make your own mind up! And it always boils down to paying your taxes. Im sorry, but until people have sat in that courtroom, and heard both sides of the story, they shouldnt jump to conclusions so quickly like sheep. I was personally horrified when i read this yesterday. I used to go to school with Anthony, and was so shocked to hear this as he never ever came across as the kind of person to instigate a murder. I feel there should be another trial, how would u feel if your son was held in jail and you had serious doubts. You would fight with your last ounce of strength for his freedom. Im not saying he is guilty or not guilty, Just hate this being about the "taxpayer". No one gives a **** about giving taxes to our government to spend on weapons, and arms, and bombs. Maybe you should be reading the Daily Mail with the rest of the sheep. BAHHH Luna-dubs
  • Score: 0

10:05am Tue 24 May 11

Luna-dubs says...

Well said, im sick of people instantly taking the media's side of events, just because thats what they have been told. Its almost like you cant make your own mind up! And it always boils down to paying your taxes. Im sorry, but until people have sat in that courtroom, and heard both sides of the story, they shouldnt jump to conclusions so quickly like sheep. I was personally horrified when i read this yesterday. I used to go to school with Anthony, and was so shocked to hear this as he never ever came across as the kind of person to instigate a murder. I feel there should be another trial, how would u feel if your son was held in jail and you had serious doubts. You would fight with your last ounce of strength for his freedom. Im not saying he is guilty or not guilty, Just hate this being about the "taxpayer". No one gives a **** about giving taxes to our government to spend on weapons, and arms, and bombs. Maybe you should be reading the Daily Mail with the rest of the sheep. BAHHH
Well said, im sick of people instantly taking the media's side of events, just because thats what they have been told. Its almost like you cant make your own mind up! And it always boils down to paying your taxes. Im sorry, but until people have sat in that courtroom, and heard both sides of the story, they shouldnt jump to conclusions so quickly like sheep. I was personally horrified when i read this yesterday. I used to go to school with Anthony, and was so shocked to hear this as he never ever came across as the kind of person to instigate a murder. I feel there should be another trial, how would u feel if your son was held in jail and you had serious doubts. You would fight with your last ounce of strength for his freedom. Im not saying he is guilty or not guilty, Just hate this being about the "taxpayer". No one gives a **** about giving taxes to our government to spend on weapons, and arms, and bombs. Maybe you should be reading the Daily Mail with the rest of the sheep. BAHHH Luna-dubs
  • Score: 0

1:05pm Tue 24 May 11

Mikeee47 says...

Luna-dubs wrote:
Well said, im sick of people instantly taking the media's side of events, just because thats what they have been told. Its almost like you cant make your own mind up! And it always boils down to paying your taxes. Im sorry, but until people have sat in that courtroom, and heard both sides of the story, they shouldnt jump to conclusions so quickly like sheep. I was personally horrified when i read this yesterday. I used to go to school with Anthony, and was so shocked to hear this as he never ever came across as the kind of person to instigate a murder. I feel there should be another trial, how would u feel if your son was held in jail and you had serious doubts. You would fight with your last ounce of strength for his freedom. Im not saying he is guilty or not guilty, Just hate this being about the "taxpayer". No one gives a **** about giving taxes to our government to spend on weapons, and arms, and bombs. Maybe you should be reading the Daily Mail with the rest of the sheep. BAHHH
You hit the nail on the head, it's the ones you least expect, like I said did he help save her or call for help, no he stood and watched like a snivelling coward,
Good riddence to bad rubbish.
Let him rot! too many do gooders like yourself are turning this country into a great nanny state, I hope you make your mum proud
[quote][p][bold]Luna-dubs[/bold] wrote: Well said, im sick of people instantly taking the media's side of events, just because thats what they have been told. Its almost like you cant make your own mind up! And it always boils down to paying your taxes. Im sorry, but until people have sat in that courtroom, and heard both sides of the story, they shouldnt jump to conclusions so quickly like sheep. I was personally horrified when i read this yesterday. I used to go to school with Anthony, and was so shocked to hear this as he never ever came across as the kind of person to instigate a murder. I feel there should be another trial, how would u feel if your son was held in jail and you had serious doubts. You would fight with your last ounce of strength for his freedom. Im not saying he is guilty or not guilty, Just hate this being about the "taxpayer". No one gives a **** about giving taxes to our government to spend on weapons, and arms, and bombs. Maybe you should be reading the Daily Mail with the rest of the sheep. BAHHH[/p][/quote]You hit the nail on the head, it's the ones you least expect, like I said did he help save her or call for help, no he stood and watched like a snivelling coward, Good riddence to bad rubbish. Let him rot! too many do gooders like yourself are turning this country into a great nanny state, I hope you make your mum proud Mikeee47
  • Score: 0

7:07pm Tue 24 May 11

bikerjohn_uk says...

It beats me how anyone can feel any sympathy for this sorry excuse for a multi-celled organism; FACT - he incited another individual to murder; FACT - he allowed it to happen, neither stepping in to stop it or calling for help if he didn't feel confident to stop it. He's a coward and reprobate and the judge got it spot on. At least the other defendent, the one who actually did the deed had the honour, the guts and the courage to stand up and say "I did it - I'm guilty and I am remorseful." I'll bet he's taking his punishment like a man instead of squealing and mewling like this dross. And no, if he was my son I wouldn't stand up for him - if he's the man he reckons he is then he's got himself into the sh!t, he can damned well get himself out or face the consequences
It beats me how anyone can feel any sympathy for this sorry excuse for a multi-celled organism; FACT - he incited another individual to murder; FACT - he allowed it to happen, neither stepping in to stop it or calling for help if he didn't feel confident to stop it. He's a coward and reprobate and the judge got it spot on. At least the other defendent, the one who actually did the deed had the honour, the guts and the courage to stand up and say "I did it - I'm guilty and I am remorseful." I'll bet he's taking his punishment like a man instead of squealing and mewling like this dross. And no, if he was my son I wouldn't stand up for him - if he's the man he reckons he is then he's got himself into the sh!t, he can damned well get himself out or face the consequences bikerjohn_uk
  • Score: 0

8:05am Wed 25 May 11

mys says...

bikerjohn uk burnley,very well said,how anyone in the right mind want to fight for this filth,hes a murderer full stop and deserves all he gets,hope they both rot in hell.
bikerjohn uk burnley,very well said,how anyone in the right mind want to fight for this filth,hes a murderer full stop and deserves all he gets,hope they both rot in hell. mys
  • Score: 0

11:00pm Wed 25 May 11

Fawn-88 says...

bikerjohn_uk wrote:
It beats me how anyone can feel any sympathy for this sorry excuse for a multi-celled organism; FACT - he incited another individual to murder; FACT - he allowed it to happen, neither stepping in to stop it or calling for help if he didn't feel confident to stop it. He's a coward and reprobate and the judge got it spot on. At least the other defendent, the one who actually did the deed had the honour, the guts and the courage to stand up and say "I did it - I'm guilty and I am remorseful." I'll bet he's taking his punishment like a man instead of squealing and mewling like this dross. And no, if he was my son I wouldn't stand up for him - if he's the man he reckons he is then he's got himself into the sh!t, he can damned well get himself out or face the consequences
CLEARLY you dont have any children or if you do you would have little respect for them in this situation because being a parent is all about loving your children regardless of what they are accused of. I have two children and god forbid if they were to be in this situation they would know that i would back them 100% untill the day i died because thats what being a parent is all about. Any body who thinks otherwise does not deserve the pleasures and pains of raising a beautifull child. Nobody would want their child to be in this predicament and would do anything to prove them innocent. Myself and my better half both knew Anthony for a good number of years ( the best part of our lives) and know he was not and still isnt capable of any of what he is accused. all you people know is what you have read in the **** papers and i hate you for being so judgemental. Unless you can tell me you was sat in that court room like i was hearing every word that was spoken, then you have know right to comment or judge Anthony. How the hell can you say that he is an individual to murder or that he allowed it to happen or, that he instigated the whole thing to be fact i don't know. Anthony tried to stop it. That is what he has always said and thats what i will always believe because that is what friendship and family is always about.
F.A.W.N. FREE ANTHONY WOOD NOW... We miss you and love you Brother. you are always in our thoughts and our hearts and we hope to see you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]bikerjohn_uk[/bold] wrote: It beats me how anyone can feel any sympathy for this sorry excuse for a multi-celled organism; FACT - he incited another individual to murder; FACT - he allowed it to happen, neither stepping in to stop it or calling for help if he didn't feel confident to stop it. He's a coward and reprobate and the judge got it spot on. At least the other defendent, the one who actually did the deed had the honour, the guts and the courage to stand up and say "I did it - I'm guilty and I am remorseful." I'll bet he's taking his punishment like a man instead of squealing and mewling like this dross. And no, if he was my son I wouldn't stand up for him - if he's the man he reckons he is then he's got himself into the sh!t, he can damned well get himself out or face the consequences[/p][/quote]CLEARLY you dont have any children or if you do you would have little respect for them in this situation because being a parent is all about loving your children regardless of what they are accused of. I have two children and god forbid if they were to be in this situation they would know that i would back them 100% untill the day i died because thats what being a parent is all about. Any body who thinks otherwise does not deserve the pleasures and pains of raising a beautifull child. Nobody would want their child to be in this predicament and would do anything to prove them innocent. Myself and my better half both knew Anthony for a good number of years ( the best part of our lives) and know he was not and still isnt capable of any of what he is accused. all you people know is what you have read in the **** papers and i hate you for being so judgemental. Unless you can tell me you was sat in that court room like i was hearing every word that was spoken, then you have know right to comment or judge Anthony. How the hell can you say that he is an individual to murder or that he allowed it to happen or, that he instigated the whole thing to be fact i don't know. Anthony tried to stop it. That is what he has always said and thats what i will always believe because that is what friendship and family is always about. F.A.W.N. FREE ANTHONY WOOD NOW... We miss you and love you Brother. you are always in our thoughts and our hearts and we hope to see you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! Fawn-88
  • Score: -1

3:25pm Sat 28 May 11

Keep Darwen Green says...

Yes I have children, yes if any of my children was to do anything like this I would still be their parent and love them but, they would have to take their punishnent like the moron they had become. Snivelling little sh!ts, I blame the parents and there brothers and sisters for not noticing and preventing their brother/son from turning into a spineless slug. Should all be tasered until they all develop a backbone as they have now become slugs that need to be eradicated with mounds of salt. NO BACKBONE ANTOHNY, WE ARE GLAD YOU ARE BEHIND BARS AND WE HOPE YOU STAY THERE, THATS WHY WE ELECT JUDGES AND JURYS, SO THEY CAN MAKE HUMANE CHOICES FOR US INSTEAD OF US STRINGING THEM UP LIKE WE DID IN THE OLD DAYS. ROT IN HELLLLLLLL! SLUGS
Yes I have children, yes if any of my children was to do anything like this I would still be their parent and love them but, they would have to take their punishnent like the moron they had become. Snivelling little sh!ts, I blame the parents and there brothers and sisters for not noticing and preventing their brother/son from turning into a spineless slug. Should all be tasered until they all develop a backbone as they have now become slugs that need to be eradicated with mounds of salt. NO BACKBONE ANTOHNY, WE ARE GLAD YOU ARE BEHIND BARS AND WE HOPE YOU STAY THERE, THATS WHY WE ELECT JUDGES AND JURYS, SO THEY CAN MAKE HUMANE CHOICES FOR US INSTEAD OF US STRINGING THEM UP LIKE WE DID IN THE OLD DAYS. ROT IN HELLLLLLLL! SLUGS Keep Darwen Green
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree