‘German submarine’ surfaces on Leeds and Liverpool canal

‘German submarine’ surfaces on Leeds and Liverpool canal

SUB-STITUTE: The ‘U-Boat’ on the waterway near Botany Bay, Chorley

SUB-STITUTE: ‘Below deck’, showing the periscope

SUB-STITUTE: The ship's wheel

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

DISBELIEVING walkers on the Leeds and Liverpool canal were confronted with a bizarre sight this week — a fully kitted out submarine.

The craft, which has been moored close to the Botany Bay attraction, near Chorley, comes complete with a turret, periscope, torpedo bay and ‘stealth’ paintwork.

The converted narrowboat, which contrary to its external appearance, cannot submerge, has been created by a Lancashire businessman as a 50th birthday present to himself.

The sub’s owner, who would only identify himself as Steve, said the creation of the craft had been a ‘longstanding dream’.

He said: “Some people will spend £250,000 on a boat or a yacht and just sit in a marina all weekend having a gin and tonic on deck.

“I wanted a submarine, so I thought I’d build it as authentically as possible.”

Over the last six months Steve said he has spent about £25,000 having the boat’s exterior panels fabricated and fitted and the same amount again making the interior as submarine-like as possible.

“I bought a lot of the equipment from Bob’s Bits , who supply hi-tech, futuristic set props,” he said.

“They have produced equipment used on Doctor Who, the Star Wars films, Tomb Raider and the last two Bond films.

“Some of the panels in here were used on episodes of Torchwood.”

The sub is kitted out inside with airlock doors, a periscope and 360 degree video monitors which enable it to be steered from the inside.

There are also authentic sonar and radar systems, infra -red emergency lighting and storage for dummy torpedoes in the sleeping quarters.

Its registration number, emblazoned on the turret is U-8047, which appears to read U-BOAT.

Steve said plans to take the submarine around the country’s inland waterways to different maritime events.

He said: “My dream is to spend time taking it to places like Whitehaven maritime festival or Henley Regatta.

“I’m sure people would be interested to have a look aboard and I’m sure it would put a smile on their faces.”

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:21pm Thu 7 Oct 10

thoroughbred says...

wonderful....how much to rent for a week or two?
wonderful....how much to rent for a week or two? thoroughbred
  • Score: 0

2:11pm Thu 7 Oct 10

notchuffed says...

Absolutely brilliant, a story to make you smile for a change.

Congratulations and "Happy birthday" Steve
Absolutely brilliant, a story to make you smile for a change. Congratulations and "Happy birthday" Steve notchuffed
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Thu 7 Oct 10

useyourhead says...

if you can't treat yourself in life whats the point, stunning job and may you enjoy it for years to come.
if you can't treat yourself in life whats the point, stunning job and may you enjoy it for years to come. useyourhead
  • Score: 0

4:07pm Thu 7 Oct 10

duke bar says...

Hope the RAF come and sink it.
Hope the RAF come and sink it. duke bar
  • Score: 0

4:10pm Thu 7 Oct 10

Gra79 says...

Ideal craft for mooring up on the canal round here wouldnt you say ha, at least ud never get a smashed window or some chav pulling on your porcelain ducks.. quality craft i love it..
Ideal craft for mooring up on the canal round here wouldnt you say ha, at least ud never get a smashed window or some chav pulling on your porcelain ducks.. quality craft i love it.. Gra79
  • Score: 0

4:14pm Thu 7 Oct 10

stanhillstan says...

A Fool and his money are easily parted........
A Fool and his money are easily parted........ stanhillstan
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Thu 7 Oct 10

Davidoff says...

Well, there's one who obviously isn't going to suffer when everyone else is starving next come the axe called 'cuts'. Obviously more money than sense. I mean, when you think of the suffering to come for plenty in this country .... what does one think about 'oh, yes, I'll get my barge kitted out like a submarine;' Which I can sail up and down the canal, watching all the people on the way to the workhouse, dressed in clogs, rags and definitely showing signs of malnutrition ... including the elderly of course. Hope it sinks. Because anyone showing off in this way, is just very slightly rubbing the fact they obviously have loads of money into the faces of everyone else who is about to suffer. Why not sail it out of the country whilst you are at it, along with your jackbooted capatalist friends who brought everyone to this place in the first place. Enough said!
Well, there's one who obviously isn't going to suffer when everyone else is starving next come the axe called 'cuts'. Obviously more money than sense. I mean, when you think of the suffering to come for plenty in this country .... what does one think about 'oh, yes, I'll get my barge kitted out like a submarine;' Which I can sail up and down the canal, watching all the people on the way to the workhouse, dressed in clogs, rags and definitely showing signs of malnutrition ... including the elderly of course. Hope it sinks. Because anyone showing off in this way, is just very slightly rubbing the fact they obviously have loads of money into the faces of everyone else who is about to suffer. Why not sail it out of the country whilst you are at it, along with your jackbooted capatalist friends who brought everyone to this place in the first place. Enough said! Davidoff
  • Score: 0

4:58pm Thu 7 Oct 10

Davidoff says...

Oh, did I forget to mention, that all the people on the way to the workhouse you no doubt made your fortune out of the backs of? More than likely. Greed. Oh, and you made it a German U-Boat as well ... wonder if it's a touch of 'irony' on the state of things right now, that those with money are the 'elite' (excuse me whilst I choke in the word 'elite' and all it represents) and those without can go drown.
Oh, did I forget to mention, that all the people on the way to the workhouse you no doubt made your fortune out of the backs of? More than likely. Greed. Oh, and you made it a German U-Boat as well ... wonder if it's a touch of 'irony' on the state of things right now, that those with money are the 'elite' (excuse me whilst I choke in the word 'elite' and all it represents) and those without can go drown. Davidoff
  • Score: 0

6:31pm Thu 7 Oct 10

ste.g says...

Davidoff wrote:
Oh, did I forget to mention, that all the people on the way to the workhouse you no doubt made your fortune out of the backs of? More than likely. Greed. Oh, and you made it a German U-Boat as well ... wonder if it's a touch of 'irony' on the state of things right now, that those with money are the 'elite' (excuse me whilst I choke in the word 'elite' and all it represents) and those without can go drown.
is that a bit of jealousy rearing its ugly head david?
[quote][p][bold]Davidoff[/bold] wrote: Oh, did I forget to mention, that all the people on the way to the workhouse you no doubt made your fortune out of the backs of? More than likely. Greed. Oh, and you made it a German U-Boat as well ... wonder if it's a touch of 'irony' on the state of things right now, that those with money are the 'elite' (excuse me whilst I choke in the word 'elite' and all it represents) and those without can go drown.[/p][/quote]is that a bit of jealousy rearing its ugly head david? ste.g
  • Score: 0

7:52pm Thu 7 Oct 10

Meatspin says...

ste.g wrote:
Davidoff wrote:
Oh, did I forget to mention, that all the people on the way to the workhouse you no doubt made your fortune out of the backs of? More than likely. Greed. Oh, and you made it a German U-Boat as well ... wonder if it's a touch of 'irony' on the state of things right now, that those with money are the 'elite' (excuse me whilst I choke in the word 'elite' and all it represents) and those without can go drown.
is that a bit of jealousy rearing its ugly head david?
Not a bit of jealousy.
.
This sort of comment is typical of the mentality fo some people in this country. If someone has a go, makes some money, and let's not forget, creates, they get slammed from pillar to post by the morons who sit on their ar&es thinking the country owes them a living.
.
Good luck to Steve, it's not my cup of tea, but spend your money how you like and don't listen to the "woe is me" brigade.
[quote][p][bold]ste.g[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davidoff[/bold] wrote: Oh, did I forget to mention, that all the people on the way to the workhouse you no doubt made your fortune out of the backs of? More than likely. Greed. Oh, and you made it a German U-Boat as well ... wonder if it's a touch of 'irony' on the state of things right now, that those with money are the 'elite' (excuse me whilst I choke in the word 'elite' and all it represents) and those without can go drown.[/p][/quote]is that a bit of jealousy rearing its ugly head david?[/p][/quote]Not a bit of jealousy. . This sort of comment is typical of the mentality fo some people in this country. If someone has a go, makes some money, and let's not forget, creates, they get slammed from pillar to post by the morons who sit on their ar&es thinking the country owes them a living. . Good luck to Steve, it's not my cup of tea, but spend your money how you like and don't listen to the "woe is me" brigade. Meatspin
  • Score: 0

8:02pm Thu 7 Oct 10

Meatspin says...

Should of read "creates employment"
Should of read "creates employment" Meatspin
  • Score: 0

8:45pm Thu 7 Oct 10

ste.g says...

Meatspin wrote:
ste.g wrote:
Davidoff wrote:
Oh, did I forget to mention, that all the people on the way to the workhouse you no doubt made your fortune out of the backs of? More than likely. Greed. Oh, and you made it a German U-Boat as well ... wonder if it's a touch of 'irony' on the state of things right now, that those with money are the 'elite' (excuse me whilst I choke in the word 'elite' and all it represents) and those without can go drown.
is that a bit of jealousy rearing its ugly head david?
Not a bit of jealousy.
.
This sort of comment is typical of the mentality fo some people in this country. If someone has a go, makes some money, and let's not forget, creates, they get slammed from pillar to post by the morons who sit on their ar&es thinking the country owes them a living.
.
Good luck to Steve, it's not my cup of tea, but spend your money how you like and don't listen to the "woe is me" brigade.
couldnt have put it better myself.
[quote][p][bold]Meatspin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ste.g[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davidoff[/bold] wrote: Oh, did I forget to mention, that all the people on the way to the workhouse you no doubt made your fortune out of the backs of? More than likely. Greed. Oh, and you made it a German U-Boat as well ... wonder if it's a touch of 'irony' on the state of things right now, that those with money are the 'elite' (excuse me whilst I choke in the word 'elite' and all it represents) and those without can go drown.[/p][/quote]is that a bit of jealousy rearing its ugly head david?[/p][/quote]Not a bit of jealousy. . This sort of comment is typical of the mentality fo some people in this country. If someone has a go, makes some money, and let's not forget, creates, they get slammed from pillar to post by the morons who sit on their ar&es thinking the country owes them a living. . Good luck to Steve, it's not my cup of tea, but spend your money how you like and don't listen to the "woe is me" brigade.[/p][/quote]couldnt have put it better myself. ste.g
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Thu 7 Oct 10

sackthegov says...

'Davidoff' you really really need to get some self respect and put the green eyed monster to bed!
.
The bitterness and rage oozing out of you because someone has done well for himself is beyond belief!
.
I, like many othrs who posted on here was actually happy to have good news to read for once in this god foresaken world only for you to quickly rubbish it with your selfish bitter remarks
.
If 'Steve' wants to spend his own money this way and so long as its his money what the hell is it to do with you! And I for one say good on ya Steve and yes if I had loads of money I would do the same (maybe not a sub but new house and car) but I don't (just made unemployed actually) but I don't resent Steve's good luck and fortune
.
get a life Davidoff - think you need a name change to 'naffoff' and leave the comments page to them that are not bitter and twisted
'Davidoff' you really really need to get some self respect and put the green eyed monster to bed! . The bitterness and rage oozing out of you because someone has done well for himself is beyond belief! . I, like many othrs who posted on here was actually happy to have good news to read for once in this god foresaken world only for you to quickly rubbish it with your selfish bitter remarks . If 'Steve' wants to spend his own money this way and so long as its his money what the hell is it to do with you! And I for one say good on ya Steve and yes if I had loads of money I would do the same (maybe not a sub but new house and car) but I don't (just made unemployed actually) but I don't resent Steve's good luck and fortune . get a life Davidoff - think you need a name change to 'naffoff' and leave the comments page to them that are not bitter and twisted sackthegov
  • Score: 0

9:34pm Thu 7 Oct 10

RoverInRotterdam says...

Brilliant Idea , if you've worked for the money in the first place then i'm **** sure ít's up to you how you spend it , better than P*****G it up a pub wall or injecting it . Happy Birthday Steve,enjoy it mate..
Brilliant Idea , if you've worked for the money in the first place then i'm **** sure ít's up to you how you spend it , better than P*****G it up a pub wall or injecting it . Happy Birthday Steve,enjoy it mate.. RoverInRotterdam
  • Score: 0

10:00am Fri 8 Oct 10

A Darener says...

All the bits required to build this "folly" will have been acquired from small firms trying to keep their heads above water (no pun intended). These firms will have benefited by this enterprise possibly keeping them afloat (again no pun intended, well maybe intended.). So if somebody wants to keep British businesses going then good luck to them. To all those calling him, spend your money how you like and if you don't have any then get off your backside and earn some.
All the bits required to build this "folly" will have been acquired from small firms trying to keep their heads above water (no pun intended). These firms will have benefited by this enterprise possibly keeping them afloat (again no pun intended, well maybe intended.). So if somebody wants to keep British businesses going then good luck to them. To all those calling him, spend your money how you like and if you don't have any then get off your backside and earn some. A Darener
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Fri 8 Oct 10

mickdork says...

i think a down scaled model of the QE2 or titanic would have been more pleasing to the eye, but whatever foats you boat (barge) lol,
i think a down scaled model of the QE2 or titanic would have been more pleasing to the eye, but whatever foats you boat (barge) lol, mickdork
  • Score: 0

1:10pm Fri 8 Oct 10

notchuffed says...

My, my there were some bitter posts here, but thankfully British humour raised it's head and won the day.

Davidoff, Duke Bar and Stanillstan - where have you surfaced from, the losers in life, can't get off your backsides pool?? Or was it that when you were reading the article you were between fixes or in hungover mode??
My, my there were some bitter posts here, but thankfully British humour raised it's head and won the day. Davidoff, Duke Bar and Stanillstan - where have you surfaced from, the losers in life, can't get off your backsides pool?? Or was it that when you were reading the article you were between fixes or in hungover mode?? notchuffed
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Fri 8 Oct 10

donroz says...

and it is people like Davidoff who make me realise that I made the right decision 30 years ago to emigrate to Canada !

why can people like that be happy that a person has worked hard to do what he wants to with his money?

I was back in Burnley in June and met quite a few 'Davidoffs', who cannot understand that some people actually work hard, make money and can spend it where and on what they want.

Well done captain, next time I am back I want to see this sub!!

Don
and it is people like Davidoff who make me realise that I made the right decision 30 years ago to emigrate to Canada ! why can people like that be happy that a person has worked hard to do what he wants to with his money? I was back in Burnley in June and met quite a few 'Davidoffs', who cannot understand that some people actually work hard, make money and can spend it where and on what they want. Well done captain, next time I am back I want to see this sub!! Don donroz
  • Score: 0

5:32pm Fri 8 Oct 10

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

Poor sad Davidoff has had my post removed again!!! at least I know he can't stand what I have to say to him, your tosserness is even more complete.
Poor sad Davidoff has had my post removed again!!! at least I know he can't stand what I have to say to him, your tosserness is even more complete. Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: 0

5:37pm Fri 8 Oct 10

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

Davidoff used to live in the Clitheroe area but was evicted for not paying his council tax and now lives in Darwen :)
Davidoff used to live in the Clitheroe area but was evicted for not paying his council tax and now lives in Darwen :) Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: 0

8:52pm Fri 8 Oct 10

Graham Hartley says...

I'm late to this, but what a risk Steve takes! Most of us remember or have been taught what damage U-boats did. Steve should expect rocks, arson, airgun potshots and perhaps bombs. The authorities do not have the resources to protect this 'submarine' from such random attacks.
I'm late to this, but what a risk Steve takes! Most of us remember or have been taught what damage U-boats did. Steve should expect rocks, arson, airgun potshots and perhaps bombs. The authorities do not have the resources to protect this 'submarine' from such random attacks. Graham Hartley
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree