A FORMER all-girls Catholic high school in Burnley has closed its doors for the last time.
Lessons have ended at the former St Hilda’s RC High School, in Coal Clough Lane, after 56 years.
The school merged with St Theodore’s RC boys school in 2006 to form Blessed Trinity College, in Ormerod Road.
It will be the first time 1,250 pupils from both schools have been united on one site.
The building will be demolished in September, once the new school opens as part of the town’s £250million Building Schools for the Future scheme.
Work on the new Hameldon Community College, on the site of St Hilda’s, is also gathering pace with a new pedestrian walkway being built.
Hameldon Community College, formed from the student population of Ivy Bank Business and Enterprise College and Habergham High School, will move into a new site in Coal Clough Lane, in September.
St Hilda’s RC High was a specialist humanities college which opened in 1954 and was one of two single-sex Roman Catholic schools in the town.