A HOME in Rishton was left badly smoke damaged after a fire began in the lounge of the property last night.

Firefighters say they were alerted to the blaze in Commercial Street just after 6.20pm last night.

Neighbours had reported that the burglar alarm at the property was sounding, while the householder was absent.

Crew manager Lee Pickup said that the fire was confined to the lounge but smoke had spread throughout the property.

"There were no smoke alarms in the property and we would stress the importance of having a working system in place," he added.

No cause has yet been established for the fire but it is thought to have been caused accidentally. Firefighters were there for two-and-a-half hours.