Pendle MP raises concerns on impact of M65 road works

Pendle MP Andrew Stephenson

Pendle MP Andrew Stephenson

First published in News by , Reporter

PENDLE MP Andrew Stephenson has raised concerns about the impact road works to the M65 are having on local businesses, after hearing how trade is down just days after work begun.

The works to improve safety barriers began on July 21 and are expected to last six months. Barriers on hard shoulders and bridge parapet walls are being be strengthened to stop vehicles going through them during an accident.

The work is supposed to ease delays when a major project starts next year.

Mr Stephenson says that the work has immediately led to problems for Pendle businesses who have contacted him to say they were not asked about the plans before they started and to complain about lower than usual trade.

Andrew said, “While I welcome improvements to our infrastructure, if local businesses are looking at six months of lost trade then that is unacceptable. This is not the first time Lancashire County Council appear to have failed to consult those affected.

“I have raised this issue with the Lancashire County Council to ask how they are going to ensure the road works do not negatively impact our local economy and jobs so early into the recovery.”

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:17pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Eric Shawn says...

Not seen much work going on there. Plenty of cones and a mobile loo, but no actual work.
Not seen much work going on there. Plenty of cones and a mobile loo, but no actual work. Eric Shawn
  • Score: 15

5:24pm Sun 27 Jul 14

ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123 says...

maybe he Stephenson should have consulted with LCC About repairing pot holes correctly not the quick £10 fix where did he get his info from!! 6 months of lost trade?? after a few days if these poor companies haven't planned alternate routes then the don't deserve any sympathy..nice one Stephenson you got your name and face in the LT yet again
maybe he Stephenson should have consulted with LCC About repairing pot holes correctly not the quick £10 fix where did he get his info from!! 6 months of lost trade?? after a few days if these poor companies haven't planned alternate routes then the don't deserve any sympathy..nice one Stephenson you got your name and face in the LT yet again ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123
  • Score: -9

7:33pm Sun 27 Jul 14

turbo5 says...

Good on him pity the Burnley councillors can't see the same problems with every major road in Burnley being affected by road works
Good on him pity the Burnley councillors can't see the same problems with every major road in Burnley being affected by road works turbo5
  • Score: 11

7:49pm Sun 27 Jul 14

tonygreaves says...

I rather think that local traders' business is down at the moment due to a lot of people being away on holiday after the schools broke up. Colne this week was a bit like the old days in Colne Holidays. Nothing to do with the M65.

Tony Greaves
I rather think that local traders' business is down at the moment due to a lot of people being away on holiday after the schools broke up. Colne this week was a bit like the old days in Colne Holidays. Nothing to do with the M65. Tony Greaves tonygreaves
  • Score: 2

9:27pm Sun 27 Jul 14

elfnsafety says...

Cannot see any good reason for this work. It's a waste of money, could even be your money Robertslumdweller, assuming you actually pay taxes.
Are LCC still taking the lighting columns out? That'll be a great safety improvement on this stretch of the M65 if they are.
Cannot see any good reason for this work. It's a waste of money, could even be your money Robertslumdweller, assuming you actually pay taxes. Are LCC still taking the lighting columns out? That'll be a great safety improvement on this stretch of the M65 if they are. elfnsafety
  • Score: -1

9:44pm Sun 27 Jul 14

Excluded again says...

Responsibility for maintaining motorways in the UK rests with the Highways Agency which is part of central government. County Councils are not responsible for maintaining motorways.

It is somewhat worrying that a MP has no idea that this is the case.
Responsibility for maintaining motorways in the UK rests with the Highways Agency which is part of central government. County Councils are not responsible for maintaining motorways. It is somewhat worrying that a MP has no idea that this is the case. Excluded again
  • Score: 6

10:57pm Sun 27 Jul 14

travel happy wanderer says...

As far as i was aware LCC is responsible from Jct 10 Burnley to Jct 14 Colne the highways agency is responsible for the rest. Unless it as changed
As far as i was aware LCC is responsible from Jct 10 Burnley to Jct 14 Colne the highways agency is responsible for the rest. Unless it as changed travel happy wanderer
  • Score: 7

7:37am Mon 28 Jul 14

elfnsafety says...

Excluded again needs to check the facts. The length between Jns 10 & 14 were transferred from the Highways Agency to LCC some years ago. The MP isn't wrong, you are.
Excluded again needs to check the facts. The length between Jns 10 & 14 were transferred from the Highways Agency to LCC some years ago. The MP isn't wrong, you are. elfnsafety
  • Score: 6

7:39am Mon 28 Jul 14

jenkinsroy says...

Road closures confusion
Andrew
Look into this? Not just comment on it look into this
Problem for us in COLNE BEFORE THE **** ITS THE FAN O.K.
I hope "Pendle Council have not
Forgotten to sort our road problem when the
Garden centre is being built? For BOUNDARY MILL
IN COLNE if this is a sample of their work god
Help the driver on the valley road it will be total
Mayhem when they start digging out the green belt
On the in roads to the valley road and farer on the
Road the building of a new super market on the
Valley here if I was a driver I would be asking
The county councillor here in colne just what
Are the plans to keep the roads open when you leave?
The M65 at the roundabout at the bottom of asda?
God help you all driver you may as well walk to work
It will be safer and quicker than all the hold up that
Will start here later this year so ask them?
PENDLE COUNCIL are they prepared for all hell to brake
Loos here you will need the police 24.7.on this road
When all the work start up LATER THIS YEAR.
Road closures confusion Andrew Look into this? Not just comment on it look into this Problem for us in COLNE BEFORE THE **** ITS THE FAN O.K. I hope "Pendle Council have not Forgotten to sort our road problem when the Garden centre is being built? For BOUNDARY MILL IN COLNE if this is a sample of their work god Help the driver on the valley road it will be total Mayhem when they start digging out the green belt On the in roads to the valley road and farer on the Road the building of a new super market on the Valley here if I was a driver I would be asking The county councillor here in colne just what Are the plans to keep the roads open when you leave? The M65 at the roundabout at the bottom of asda? God help you all driver you may as well walk to work It will be safer and quicker than all the hold up that Will start here later this year so ask them? PENDLE COUNCIL are they prepared for all hell to brake Loos here you will need the police 24.7.on this road When all the work start up LATER THIS YEAR. jenkinsroy
  • Score: 2

7:55am Mon 28 Jul 14

Excluded again says...

elfnsafety wrote:
Excluded again needs to check the facts. The length between Jns 10 & 14 were transferred from the Highways Agency to LCC some years ago. The MP isn't wrong, you are.
Hands up if I got that one wrong. Apologies.
[quote][p][bold]elfnsafety[/bold] wrote: Excluded again needs to check the facts. The length between Jns 10 & 14 were transferred from the Highways Agency to LCC some years ago. The MP isn't wrong, you are.[/p][/quote]Hands up if I got that one wrong. Apologies. Excluded again
  • Score: 4

8:46am Mon 28 Jul 14

hasslem hasslem says...

Excluded again wrote:
Responsibility for maintaining motorways in the UK rests with the Highways Agency which is part of central government. County Councils are not responsible for maintaining motorways.

It is somewhat worrying that a MP has no idea that this is the case.
what you say is normally correct - but i am sure you will find that the bit of the motorway where the work is being done is actually managed by LCC.

it is somewhat worrying that someone in a position of responsibility, like yourself, has no idea that this is the case.

The Highways Agency is responsible only for the 32.4 km section from junction 1a at Farington to junction 10 at Burnley.

The 9.2 km section from junction 10, Burnley, to the M65's eastern terminus at junction 14, Colne, is operated and maintained by Lancashire County Council.
[quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: Responsibility for maintaining motorways in the UK rests with the Highways Agency which is part of central government. County Councils are not responsible for maintaining motorways. It is somewhat worrying that a MP has no idea that this is the case.[/p][/quote]what you say is normally correct - but i am sure you will find that the bit of the motorway where the work is being done is actually managed by LCC. it is somewhat worrying that someone in a position of responsibility, like yourself, has no idea that this is the case. The Highways Agency is responsible only for the 32.4 km section from junction 1a at Farington to junction 10 at Burnley. The 9.2 km section from junction 10, Burnley, to the M65's eastern terminus at junction 14, Colne, is operated and maintained by Lancashire County Council. hasslem hasslem
  • Score: 0

2:06pm Mon 28 Jul 14

roseygogs says...

Why can't this work be done at night like some of the previous roadworks to cause minimal disruption?
Why can't this work be done at night like some of the previous roadworks to cause minimal disruption? roseygogs
  • Score: 1

3:56pm Mon 28 Jul 14

tonygreaves says...

This section of the motorway has always been owned and managed by LCC who built it in the first place.

Tony Greaves
This section of the motorway has always been owned and managed by LCC who built it in the first place. Tony Greaves tonygreaves
  • Score: -1

12:47am Tue 29 Jul 14

petestan says...

tonygreaves wrote:
This section of the motorway has always been owned and managed by LCC who built it in the first place.

Tony Greaves
Yeh and that's why there are rumours that they are removing the lighting columns because if it was owned by the Highways Agency they would replace them but LCC are skint (so they claim) so they can't afford to replace them with more modern columns so they will just remove them instead, pathetic.
Come on Tony Greaves surely you can get an answer from them seeing as the Telegraph won't ask.
[quote][p][bold]tonygreaves[/bold] wrote: This section of the motorway has always been owned and managed by LCC who built it in the first place. Tony Greaves[/p][/quote]Yeh and that's why there are rumours that they are removing the lighting columns because if it was owned by the Highways Agency they would replace them but LCC are skint (so they claim) so they can't afford to replace them with more modern columns so they will just remove them instead, pathetic. Come on Tony Greaves surely you can get an answer from them seeing as the Telegraph won't ask. petestan
  • Score: 0

3:47pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Pendlebill says...

It's now 8 days since the cones went up and still no sign of any work taking place!
It's now 8 days since the cones went up and still no sign of any work taking place! Pendlebill
  • Score: 1

4:19pm Tue 29 Jul 14

ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123 says...

elfnsafety wrote:
Cannot see any good reason for this work. It's a waste of money, could even be your money Robertslumdweller, assuming you actually pay taxes.
Are LCC still taking the lighting columns out? That'll be a great safety improvement on this stretch of the M65 if they are.
no I no longer pay taxes unless you mean the tax I pay on my savings from 50 years work
[quote][p][bold]elfnsafety[/bold] wrote: Cannot see any good reason for this work. It's a waste of money, could even be your money Robertslumdweller, assuming you actually pay taxes. Are LCC still taking the lighting columns out? That'll be a great safety improvement on this stretch of the M65 if they are.[/p][/quote]no I no longer pay taxes unless you mean the tax I pay on my savings from 50 years work ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Tue 29 Jul 14

ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123 says...

elfnsafety wrote:
Cannot see any good reason for this work. It's a waste of money, could even be your money Robertslumdweller, assuming you actually pay taxes.
Are LCC still taking the lighting columns out? That'll be a great safety improvement on this stretch of the M65 if they are.
no I no longer pay taxes unless you mean the tax I pay on my savings from 50 years work
[quote][p][bold]elfnsafety[/bold] wrote: Cannot see any good reason for this work. It's a waste of money, could even be your money Robertslumdweller, assuming you actually pay taxes. Are LCC still taking the lighting columns out? That'll be a great safety improvement on this stretch of the M65 if they are.[/p][/quote]no I no longer pay taxes unless you mean the tax I pay on my savings from 50 years work ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Tue 29 Jul 14

ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123 says...

elfnsafety wrote:
Cannot see any good reason for this work. It's a waste of money, could even be your money Robertslumdweller, assuming you actually pay taxes.
Are LCC still taking the lighting columns out? That'll be a great safety improvement on this stretch of the M65 if they are.
no I no longer pay taxes unless you mean the tax I pay on my savings from 50 years work
[quote][p][bold]elfnsafety[/bold] wrote: Cannot see any good reason for this work. It's a waste of money, could even be your money Robertslumdweller, assuming you actually pay taxes. Are LCC still taking the lighting columns out? That'll be a great safety improvement on this stretch of the M65 if they are.[/p][/quote]no I no longer pay taxes unless you mean the tax I pay on my savings from 50 years work ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123
  • Score: 0

5:11pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Minnie the moocher says...

Public sector pay freezes and a ridiculous .8% rise in my wage is also detrimental to the local economy. I would love to support local shops, but I can't afford to.
Any comments about that Mr Stephenson?
Public sector pay freezes and a ridiculous .8% rise in my wage is also detrimental to the local economy. I would love to support local shops, but I can't afford to. Any comments about that Mr Stephenson? Minnie the moocher
  • Score: 2

3:26pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Pendlebill says...

10 days after the cones went up I've just seen some blokes in hi-viz jackets looking at the barriers - Can work be about to start??
10 days after the cones went up I've just seen some blokes in hi-viz jackets looking at the barriers - Can work be about to start?? Pendlebill
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree