Lancashire Telegraph55-year-old woman sexually assaulted in Darwen (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

55-year-old woman sexually assaulted in Darwen

Lancashire Telegraph: 55-year-old woman sexually assaulted in Darwen 55-year-old woman sexually assaulted in Darwen

A 55-YEAR-old woman was sexually assaulted on her way home from a night out.

Detectives are hunting a man, believed to be in his 30s, in connection with the incident in Darwen in the early hours of Saturday.

The victim had been out for drinks with friends on Friday night and got into a taxi outside Big Bites takeaway in Bridge Street at around 2.30am on Saturday.

A man, who she did not know, said he was going in the same direction and said he would split the fare with her so she agreed to share the cab with him.

But when she got out close to her home, the man followed her and sexually assaulted her, inappropriately touching her over her clothes.

She called the police and officers are now appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Detective Sergeant Eric Halford of Blackburn CID said he wanted to hear from anyone who saw the man at the takeaway or in the town earlier.

He said: “I have no doubt that somebody will know who this man is and will be able to provide his name.

“If the man involved is reading this appeal, then I would also urge him to make contact with us so we can speak to him and get his account on record.”

Det Sgt Halford also urged caution in relation to getting into a taxi with strangers. He said: “Darwen is generally a very safe place and most of us have done it, shared a taxi with someone we don’t know to split the cost.

“But people should be careful when they do this. To prevent yourself potentially becoming a victim I would advise never to share a taxi with someone you don’t know if you are alone.”

The offender was a thin, white man, around 5ft 6ins to 5ft 7ins and in his mid to late 30s. He had light brown, short hair and was wearing a light grey, knitted fashion jumper. He had a Darwen accent.

Anyone with any information can contact 01254 353562 or call 101, quoting incident reference 0267.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:38am Mon 30 Jun 14

GracesDad says...

I would have thought a massively relevant part of this report should be where they got out of the taxi.
I would have thought a massively relevant part of this report should be where they got out of the taxi. GracesDad
  • Score: 30

10:10am Mon 30 Jun 14

Bat E Karen says...

I agree GracesDad. I saw the police appeal on Facebook yesterday and thought it would have made sense to mention the area of town, in case someone heard or saw something but thought nothing of it at the time.
I agree GracesDad. I saw the police appeal on Facebook yesterday and thought it would have made sense to mention the area of town, in case someone heard or saw something but thought nothing of it at the time. Bat E Karen
  • Score: 11

12:45pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Johnh1995 says...

Paul85 wrote:
A Darwen accent? How does this differ from a Blackburn or Bolton accent? ffs LET these stories get worse everyday or every hour take your pick.
You obviously have no concept of dialect. There is a huge difference of accent to Darweners or Blackburners and also Boltoners and consequently the LT are correct
[quote][p][bold]Paul85[/bold] wrote: A Darwen accent? How does this differ from a Blackburn or Bolton accent? ffs LET these stories get worse everyday or every hour take your pick.[/p][/quote]You obviously have no concept of dialect. There is a huge difference of accent to Darweners or Blackburners and also Boltoners and consequently the LT are correct Johnh1995
  • Score: 12

1:44pm Mon 30 Jun 14

hasslem hasslem says...

Paul85 wrote:
A Darwen accent? How does this differ from a Blackburn or Bolton accent? ffs LET these stories get worse everyday or every hour take your pick.
easy to pick out difference between bolton, darwen, blackburn, burnley preston etc.

if you can' tell the difference then you must be deaf
[quote][p][bold]Paul85[/bold] wrote: A Darwen accent? How does this differ from a Blackburn or Bolton accent? ffs LET these stories get worse everyday or every hour take your pick.[/p][/quote]easy to pick out difference between bolton, darwen, blackburn, burnley preston etc. if you can' tell the difference then you must be deaf hasslem hasslem
  • Score: -10

7:45pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Openminded? says...

Another attack by a white man, its becoming an epidemic in the white community.

Will the churches come out and condemn this act? And behaviour?
Another attack by a white man, its becoming an epidemic in the white community. Will the churches come out and condemn this act? And behaviour? Openminded?
  • Score: 28

8:53pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Lawlesschat says...

Openminded? wrote:
Another attack by a white man, its becoming an epidemic in the white community.

Will the churches come out and condemn this act? And behaviour?
Don't be silly, they're barely Muslim so ..... There's a difference right??
[quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: Another attack by a white man, its becoming an epidemic in the white community. Will the churches come out and condemn this act? And behaviour?[/p][/quote]Don't be silly, they're barely Muslim so ..... There's a difference right?? Lawlesschat
  • Score: -1

9:44pm Mon 30 Jun 14

desperatelyneedsajob says...

Make your mind up - was she 62 or 55 or is this two separate women?
Make your mind up - was she 62 or 55 or is this two separate women? desperatelyneedsajob
  • Score: 6

11:25pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Ex-Darrener says...

Johnh1995 wrote:
Paul85 wrote:
A Darwen accent? How does this differ from a Blackburn or Bolton accent? ffs LET these stories get worse everyday or every hour take your pick.
You obviously have no concept of dialect. There is a huge difference of accent to Darweners or Blackburners and also Boltoners and consequently the LT are correct
Having grown up in Darren, I totally agree. They don't call that lot down the road Blegburners for nowt!
[quote][p][bold]Johnh1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul85[/bold] wrote: A Darwen accent? How does this differ from a Blackburn or Bolton accent? ffs LET these stories get worse everyday or every hour take your pick.[/p][/quote]You obviously have no concept of dialect. There is a huge difference of accent to Darweners or Blackburners and also Boltoners and consequently the LT are correct[/p][/quote]Having grown up in Darren, I totally agree. They don't call that lot down the road Blegburners for nowt! Ex-Darrener
  • Score: 0

11:38pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Malthus says...

A woman gets attacked and it seems that the largest topic for discussion is dialects and linguistics. We are certainly becoming a petty and pedantic society.
A woman gets attacked and it seems that the largest topic for discussion is dialects and linguistics. We are certainly becoming a petty and pedantic society. Malthus
  • Score: 5

8:14am Tue 1 Jul 14

HelmshoreBoy says...

So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And? HelmshoreBoy
  • Score: -8

9:37am Tue 1 Jul 14

GracesDad says...

HelmshoreBoy wrote:
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?
[quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?[/p][/quote]So she deserved it because she shared a taxi? GracesDad
  • Score: 3

10:41am Tue 1 Jul 14

Openminded? says...

GracesDad wrote:
HelmshoreBoy wrote:
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?
She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol.

So I blame alcohol.
[quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?[/p][/quote]So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?[/p][/quote]She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol. So I blame alcohol. Openminded?
  • Score: -3

10:43am Tue 1 Jul 14

GracesDad says...

Openminded? wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
HelmshoreBoy wrote:
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?
She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol.

So I blame alcohol.
We should ban alcohol....or deport it!
[quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?[/p][/quote]So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?[/p][/quote]She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol. So I blame alcohol.[/p][/quote]We should ban alcohol....or deport it! GracesDad
  • Score: -2

10:45am Tue 1 Jul 14

Mr Banford says...

Openminded? wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
HelmshoreBoy wrote:
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?
She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol.

So I blame alcohol.
ive been drunk many times and shared taxi's with strangers many times and i can safely say i have never sexually assaulted anyone.
nothing to blame here but the freak that did it.
[quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?[/p][/quote]So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?[/p][/quote]She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol. So I blame alcohol.[/p][/quote]ive been drunk many times and shared taxi's with strangers many times and i can safely say i have never sexually assaulted anyone. nothing to blame here but the freak that did it. Mr Banford
  • Score: 13

11:09am Tue 1 Jul 14

HelmshoreBoy says...

GracesDad wrote:
HelmshoreBoy wrote:
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?
Never talk to strangers?
[quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?[/p][/quote]So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?[/p][/quote]Never talk to strangers? HelmshoreBoy
  • Score: -5

1:58pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Mothernature says...

HelmshoreBoy wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
HelmshoreBoy wrote:
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?
Never talk to strangers?
If you never talk to strangers, how do you make friends?
[quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?[/p][/quote]So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?[/p][/quote]Never talk to strangers?[/p][/quote]If you never talk to strangers, how do you make friends? Mothernature
  • Score: 8

2:57pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Leston says...

Unbelievable that some think " got in taxi with stranger" so she deserved it.Ok well what do we do.. Not get into lifts with strangers,Not reply to a stranger who may " ask the time please" or " directions",;Heaven forbid we go in a shop and served by a ' stranger',Sorry can't copy and paste but agree with above comment " how do we make friends" or I would also say " function in life" without talking to stranges..... I presume the person who made the ridiculous comments re " she got in a taxi with a stranger" must infact know everyone in the world? Also what a sad place it would be if we never spoke to strangers.I agree with previous comment " She isn't to blame... He abused her".God bless her.
Unbelievable that some think " got in taxi with stranger" so she deserved it.Ok well what do we do.. Not get into lifts with strangers,Not reply to a stranger who may " ask the time please" or " directions",;Heaven forbid we go in a shop and served by a ' stranger',Sorry can't copy and paste but agree with above comment " how do we make friends" or I would also say " function in life" without talking to stranges..... I presume the person who made the ridiculous comments re " she got in a taxi with a stranger" must infact know everyone in the world? Also what a sad place it would be if we never spoke to strangers.I agree with previous comment " She isn't to blame... He abused her".God bless her. Leston
  • Score: 6

3:02pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Leston says...

Johnh1995 wrote:
Paul85 wrote:
A Darwen accent? How does this differ from a Blackburn or Bolton accent? ffs LET these stories get worse everyday or every hour take your pick.
You obviously have no concept of dialect. There is a huge difference of accent to Darweners or Blackburners and also Boltoners and consequently the LT are correct
Sorry John... I preused thumb down by mistake.Meant to be thumb up,I do apologise... Unfortunately I don't know how to redo it.:-S Your point was so valid.Sorry.
[quote][p][bold]Johnh1995[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul85[/bold] wrote: A Darwen accent? How does this differ from a Blackburn or Bolton accent? ffs LET these stories get worse everyday or every hour take your pick.[/p][/quote]You obviously have no concept of dialect. There is a huge difference of accent to Darweners or Blackburners and also Boltoners and consequently the LT are correct[/p][/quote]Sorry John... I preused thumb down by mistake.Meant to be thumb up,I do apologise... Unfortunately I don't know how to redo it.:-S Your point was so valid.Sorry. Leston
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Openminded? says...

Mr Banford wrote:
Openminded? wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
HelmshoreBoy wrote:
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?
She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol.

So I blame alcohol.
ive been drunk many times and shared taxi's with strangers many times and i can safely say i have never sexually assaulted anyone.
nothing to blame here but the freak that did it.
My point is, if she wasn't drinking then she would have had common sense not to share a taxi, the alcohol caused he take a risk and share.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Banford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?[/p][/quote]So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?[/p][/quote]She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol. So I blame alcohol.[/p][/quote]ive been drunk many times and shared taxi's with strangers many times and i can safely say i have never sexually assaulted anyone. nothing to blame here but the freak that did it.[/p][/quote]My point is, if she wasn't drinking then she would have had common sense not to share a taxi, the alcohol caused he take a risk and share. Openminded?
  • Score: -3

5:18pm Tue 1 Jul 14

Mr Banford says...

Openminded? wrote:
Mr Banford wrote:
Openminded? wrote:
GracesDad wrote:
HelmshoreBoy wrote:
So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?
So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?
She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol.

So I blame alcohol.
ive been drunk many times and shared taxi's with strangers many times and i can safely say i have never sexually assaulted anyone.
nothing to blame here but the freak that did it.
My point is, if she wasn't drinking then she would have had common sense not to share a taxi, the alcohol caused he take a risk and share.
as a friend of the lady who was attacked i can tell you she was already in the taxi and her friend told the man to get in with her.
she assumed her friend knew the man therefore allowed him to share the taxi with her.
as far as i know the let has today interviewed her as the way this story has been written makes her seem naive for sharing with a stranger yet it was her friend that was at fault for telling the man to get in with her.
although it was late she was not drunk at the time and was able to fight him off before anything more sinister happened.
[quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Banford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GracesDad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HelmshoreBoy[/bold] wrote: So, you share a taxi with a total stranger? And?[/p][/quote]So she deserved it because she shared a taxi?[/p][/quote]She didn't deserve it just because she got into a taxi with a stranger, its the decision to actually do this in the first instance, which was probably fueled by alcohol. So I blame alcohol.[/p][/quote]ive been drunk many times and shared taxi's with strangers many times and i can safely say i have never sexually assaulted anyone. nothing to blame here but the freak that did it.[/p][/quote]My point is, if she wasn't drinking then she would have had common sense not to share a taxi, the alcohol caused he take a risk and share.[/p][/quote]as a friend of the lady who was attacked i can tell you she was already in the taxi and her friend told the man to get in with her. she assumed her friend knew the man therefore allowed him to share the taxi with her. as far as i know the let has today interviewed her as the way this story has been written makes her seem naive for sharing with a stranger yet it was her friend that was at fault for telling the man to get in with her. although it was late she was not drunk at the time and was able to fight him off before anything more sinister happened. Mr Banford
  • Score: 11

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree