A PRIMARY school at the centre of an investigation into how 13 children, and a teacher, suffered electric shocks was closed yesterday, but will reopen today.
Electricity North West said it had repaired the fault at Briercliffe Primary School, and that everybody in the area now had power restored, but it confirmed it has launched its own internal investigation.
Education chiefs at Lancashire County Council have also launched a joint inv-estigation with the Delamere Road school into how the shocks occurred.
A female teacher was taken to hospital after suffering burns to her hands and forearms, at around 1pm on Wednesday.
But she was released from hospital the same day, and was back at work helping out yesterday.
Eight children were treated at the scene by paramedics, and a further five were taken to hospital ‘as a precautionary measure’, but were also released on Wednesday. Headteacher Rob Blanchet said: “I would like to thank the pupils, and their parents, for their help during a difficult time.
“The school was quickly evacuated, and the pupils were looked after by school staff until their parents arrived to pick them up.
“I would also like to thank officers from Lancashire County Council and the North West Ambulance Service, along with other organisations, for their help and support.”
The Health and Safety Executive has been informed about the incident and has launched its own investigation.
A spokesman for Lancashire County Council said: “The school and the county council are working together to keep parents informed about what is going on.
“We have launched an investigation into what happened.”
A spokesman for Electricity North West said: “We have now repaired the fault and power is back on.
“We are carrying out our own internal investigation.”
On Wednesday, reports emerged that the electric shocks could have come from metal door handles, or handrails, within the school building.