A GRIEVING man has demanded answers after his brother died following a hospital error.
Paul Shaw, 50, died after an intravenous drip was wrongly inserted into his neck at Royal Blackburn Hospital, an inquest was told.
The incident sparked an investigation at the hospital and the inquest, which was opened and adjourned last week, heard the mistake contributed towards the commis chef’s death.
Speaking for the first time, younger brother Mark told of his shock when doctors explained his sibling was dying.
He said his family would now be looking for answers after the tragedy.
The 46-year-old said: “They asked us to go in a room with a senior consultant or manager, who told us that Paul was in a poorly condition.
“His bowels were not working and the next step was an operation, but things had taken a turn and he had a massive stroke after them putting an intravenous line in wrong.
“They said he was dying because his brain was swelling with blood.
“They said the kindest thing was to switch the machines off, and my mum gave the permission for them to do that.
“When they turned everything off and took the tubes out, within one breath he had stopped breathing.”
Last week’s inquest revealed Mr Shaw died after an intravenous drip was inserted into his carotid artery, which carries blood to the brain, instead of inserting it into his jugular vein.
The court was told Mr Shaw, who lived in Edisford Road, Clitheroe, died from a stroke, a blood clot, and the insertion of the vascular line.
Vasopressin treatment, which is administered to control the increased flow of urine in people suffering from diabetes insipidus, but can also cause narrowing of the arteries, was also said to be a contributory factor.
Sheffield-born Mr Shaw was admitted to hospital on May 20 for a hernia operation.
He was later scheduled to have an operation on his bowels, his brother said.
But Mr Shaw died on May 30 after the line was wrongly inserted.
His brother, Mr Shaw, who lives in Rotherham, said: “We are looking for answers.
“I have spoken to a solicitor for advice. “We got the apology from the consultant, but apart from that we have not heard anything from them whatsoever.
“Paul was always considerate, giving and kind-hearted and had close family ties.
“He trained as a commis chef and later in life had an entrepreneurial aptitude towards crafts, making ornamental garden furniture.
“In the last few years he had a keen interest in woodcraft and recently had taken up a passion for digital photography and photo editing.
“He also still loved to listen to dance music and had a large collection of CDs.
“Paul’s sudden and tragic death has been a tremendous shock to the family and he will be greatly missed.”
Health bosses said an investigation was under way, but refused to say whether the healthcare professional involved had been suspended.
In a statement released after the hearing, medical director for East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust Dr Ian Stanley said: “East Lancashire Hospitals Trust would like to express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Mr Shaw following this tragic incident.
“We cannot comment on any specific details but can confirm that it is subject to a full investigation.”
Russ McClean, of East Lancashire Patient Voices group, said: “I will speak to the trust to find out what has happened.
“I’m sure they are sorry and one would hope they are investigating, but it’s not good enough. I would like to see a full audit of complaints so we can see what processes have been put in place, and whether this has happened before.
“I suspect it’s a terrible accident but it should not happen.”
Mr Shaw’s funeral will be held at the City Road Crematorium in Sheffield, at 11.10am on Friday.
The family has requested donations to St Luke’s Hospice in lieu of flowers.