When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Bid to extend travellers site in Blackburn agreed
3:05pm Saturday 31st May 2014 in News
A PLAN to extend a travellers’ caravan site in Blackburn has been approved.
The bid to make alterations to the development on a former coal merchants’ site at the rear of Vincent Street in Ewood was rubber stamped, subject to ‘strict’ conditions.
Jimmy Evans and his son-in-law, John Price, have applied for permission to make alterations to the development. The approved plans sought to replace an existing chalet with a three bed bungalow.
In July 2010 Blackburn with Darwen Council gave Mr Evans approval for two caravans, a chalet and an amenity block. In September 2011 he asked for backdated permission to retain five caravans, a chalet, an amenity block and a WC building.
The planning committee refused to approve the scheme but Mr Evans’ appeal was upheld by a planning inspector in 2012 giving the majority of the site official designation as a ‘gipsy caravan site’.
Now the new bid for an extended part of the site has been approved with conditions.
The applicants have been given conditions that no more than two caravans are to occupy the new section, and no more than one is to be a static caravan or mobile home. Generators powered by an internal combustion engine must not be used on the site.
The applications were approved by Blackburn with Darwen planning committee on Thursday.
Ward councillor Maureen Bateson said she hoped the conditions would allay any problems.
She said: “The application has been approved subject to strict conditions and the focus now is to ensure it is adhered to and enforcement used if required.
“Any complaints made relating to problems must be addressed, as I know residents are worried about that.”
When previously approached by the Lancashire Telegrpah, both Mr Evans’ and Mr Price’s agents said they were happy with the officers recommendations.
Comments are closed on this article.