Lancashire TelegraphFresh warning over household danger items in Lancashire (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Fresh warning over household danger items in Lancashire

LANCASHIRE parents have been warned of hidden dangers to their offspring from common household items including button cell batteries, plastic nappy sacks, window blind cords and detergent liquitabs.

They have been identified as a particular danger to babies and young children.

A new campaign by Lancashire County trading standards service aims to prevent child accidents with series of four posters with advice for parents and carers in GP surgeries, libraries and nurseries.

At least 10 babies have died from suffocation after pulling plastic nappy sacks onto their faces. The sacks are often left near babies and the thinness of the plastic means they can cling to babies’ faces.

Since 1999, there have been 27 deaths where babies and young children have become entangled in window blind cords and chains when playing and strangled themselves. Young children have been injured after placing colourful detergent liquitabs in their mouths, mistaking them for sweets.

County public protection boss Janice Hanson said: “Evidence shows that these everyday household items can pose a risk to babies and young children.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree