East Lancashire police officers to wear body cameras

Metropolitan police trialling the body cameras

Metropolitan police trialling the body cameras

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Crime reporter

BODY cameras are to be worn by police officers in East Lancashire.

Plans are in place for officers to wear the devices from this summer in a bid to stop people committing crime and provide excellent evidence for court cases.

Cameras have been used by police in the region in the past for a small number of operations, but a spokeswoman for Lancashire Constabulary said it was now intended they would be used more commonly.

She said: “We have used body cams for a number of years and in a variety of roles and we are looking at how their use can be expanded.

“We are evaluating what incidents and roles they are most suitable for and training more officers in their use.

“They are an excellent tool in terms of preserving evidence, acting as a deterrent and also instilling public confidence.”

The announcement came as the Met Police, in London said they were planning to make officers wear cameras as part of their uniforms in a bid to boost transparency following the fatal shooting of Mark Duggan by armed police. His death in August sparked the London riots.

Clive Grunshaw, Lancashire Police and Crime Commissioner, said he planned to scrutinise the cameras’ effectiveness and impact once they were introduced across the county.

He added: “Their introduction has the potential to be beneficial to the public and to Lancashire’s officers, and will enable evidence to be captured that may otherwise be missed – helping to strengthen and speed up court proceedings.

“I am committed to ensuring Lancashire’s officers have access to the technology they need to achieve the best outcomes for the county’s residents, and I believe cameras will be an important part of that.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:45pm Mon 12 May 14

crusade to find the truth from the brown stuff says...

Who at the let decides which story people can comment on as it seems very political!

I can comment about the police wearing cameras but the two stories below it about Asian father beating his daughter with a tennis racket after finding out she was having sex and the story about Asian pervert with a 14 year old girl don't allow comments?!

Why is the father who beat his daughter not named? How was he not sent to jail and given a suspended sentence by the courts? After all the girl has gone through with the court case and where is she now? Suspect she is still living with her violent dad who will be trying to arrange a suitable marriage for her!

Lancs police have worn cameras before at football games and in town centres about 3 years ago, why did it stop? To give every officer a camera will cost thousands who is going to pay for that when police are cutting budgets! Then you have the added time it will take an officer if they attend 10 incidents to find the incident they want, figure out how to download the footage onto a disc. More time spent in the office instead of them being out on the streets!
Who at the let decides which story people can comment on as it seems very political! I can comment about the police wearing cameras but the two stories below it about Asian father beating his daughter with a tennis racket after finding out she was having sex and the story about Asian pervert with a 14 year old girl don't allow comments?! Why is the father who beat his daughter not named? How was he not sent to jail and given a suspended sentence by the courts? After all the girl has gone through with the court case and where is she now? Suspect she is still living with her violent dad who will be trying to arrange a suitable marriage for her! Lancs police have worn cameras before at football games and in town centres about 3 years ago, why did it stop? To give every officer a camera will cost thousands who is going to pay for that when police are cutting budgets! Then you have the added time it will take an officer if they attend 10 incidents to find the incident they want, figure out how to download the footage onto a disc. More time spent in the office instead of them being out on the streets! crusade to find the truth from the brown stuff
  • Score: 67

4:28pm Mon 12 May 14

Interocitor says...

The reason why the father is not named is because this would identify the girl. Not only is such a thing a bad idea - it would also stop others coming forward.

BTW: You do make a very good point regarding the comment section. Today there are two news items regarding sexual offences. One by two people with Asian names, the other by someone with a Christian name. Only one of them has a comments section and I bet you can guess which one it is .

Maybe the L.E.T doesn't realise this, but this 'one way' censorship will only breed even more racism in East Lance and this is something we could all do without. Either comments on all, obviously after conviction, or none at all!
The reason why the father is not named is because this would identify the girl. Not only is such a thing a bad idea - it would also stop others coming forward. BTW: You do make a very good point regarding the comment section. Today there are two news items regarding sexual offences. One by two people with Asian names, the other by someone with a Christian name. Only one of them has a comments section and I bet you can guess which one it is . Maybe the L.E.T doesn't realise this, but this 'one way' censorship will only breed even more racism in East Lance and this is something we could all do without. Either comments on all, obviously after conviction, or none at all! Interocitor
  • Score: 79

4:44pm Mon 12 May 14

fedup with your lies says...

Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police.
This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.
Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police. This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me. fedup with your lies
  • Score: 66

4:48pm Mon 12 May 14

midas says...

crusade to find the truth from the brown stuff wrote:
Who at the let decides which story people can comment on as it seems very political! I can comment about the police wearing cameras but the two stories below it about Asian father beating his daughter with a tennis racket after finding out she was having sex and the story about Asian pervert with a 14 year old girl don't allow comments?! Why is the father who beat his daughter not named? How was he not sent to jail and given a suspended sentence by the courts? After all the girl has gone through with the court case and where is she now? Suspect she is still living with her violent dad who will be trying to arrange a suitable marriage for her! Lancs police have worn cameras before at football games and in town centres about 3 years ago, why did it stop? To give every officer a camera will cost thousands who is going to pay for that when police are cutting budgets! Then you have the added time it will take an officer if they attend 10 incidents to find the incident they want, figure out how to download the footage onto a disc. More time spent in the office instead of them being out on the streets!
Hes not named so that the daughter (the victim) cannot be identified and is common practice in all cases involving children.
.
The story cannot be commented on as its still ongoing.
.
Having cameras recording the evidence will mean that there will be far more guilty pleas or cases dropped than before thus saving costs both at the preperation and Court stages.
[quote][p][bold]crusade to find the truth from the brown stuff[/bold] wrote: Who at the let decides which story people can comment on as it seems very political! I can comment about the police wearing cameras but the two stories below it about Asian father beating his daughter with a tennis racket after finding out she was having sex and the story about Asian pervert with a 14 year old girl don't allow comments?! Why is the father who beat his daughter not named? How was he not sent to jail and given a suspended sentence by the courts? After all the girl has gone through with the court case and where is she now? Suspect she is still living with her violent dad who will be trying to arrange a suitable marriage for her! Lancs police have worn cameras before at football games and in town centres about 3 years ago, why did it stop? To give every officer a camera will cost thousands who is going to pay for that when police are cutting budgets! Then you have the added time it will take an officer if they attend 10 incidents to find the incident they want, figure out how to download the footage onto a disc. More time spent in the office instead of them being out on the streets![/p][/quote]Hes not named so that the daughter (the victim) cannot be identified and is common practice in all cases involving children. . The story cannot be commented on as its still ongoing. . Having cameras recording the evidence will mean that there will be far more guilty pleas or cases dropped than before thus saving costs both at the preperation and Court stages. midas
  • Score: 75

10:50pm Mon 12 May 14

Graham Hartley says...

Body cameras are useful to all who deal with the public - teachers, retail workers, journalists, what have you? All of us deal with the public, and can be educated to wear a body camera as naturally as we obey the law. Such a fine idea - thanks!
Body cameras are useful to all who deal with the public - teachers, retail workers, journalists, what have you? All of us deal with the public, and can be educated to wear a body camera as naturally as we obey the law. Such a fine idea - thanks! Graham Hartley
  • Score: -65

10:54pm Mon 12 May 14

Steven Seagull says...

fedup with your lies wrote:
Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police.
This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.
What corruption? Come on give some details.
[quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police. This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.[/p][/quote]What corruption? Come on give some details. Steven Seagull
  • Score: -59

10:57pm Mon 12 May 14

Sogden says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
fedup with your lies wrote:
Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police.
This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.
What corruption? Come on give some details.
Officer seagul is rattled me thinks
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police. This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.[/p][/quote]What corruption? Come on give some details.[/p][/quote]Officer seagul is rattled me thinks Sogden
  • Score: 67

10:59pm Mon 12 May 14

Steven Seagull says...

So basically because some piece of sh1t two bit gangster in London who had a gun was shot, all the police have to wear body cameras? I'd love to know what the cost of this is to the taxpayer.
So basically because some piece of sh1t two bit gangster in London who had a gun was shot, all the police have to wear body cameras? I'd love to know what the cost of this is to the taxpayer. Steven Seagull
  • Score: -67

11:01pm Mon 12 May 14

Steven Seagull says...

Sogden wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
fedup with your lies wrote:
Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police.
This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.
What corruption? Come on give some details.
Officer seagul is rattled me thinks
It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop.

Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.
[quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police. This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.[/p][/quote]What corruption? Come on give some details.[/p][/quote]Officer seagul is rattled me thinks[/p][/quote]It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop. Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't. Steven Seagull
  • Score: -66

11:20pm Mon 12 May 14

Sogden says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
Sogden wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
fedup with your lies wrote:
Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police.
This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.
What corruption? Come on give some details.
Officer seagul is rattled me thinks
It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop.

Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.
You are always very pro police, that's why I think you are a cop. I would be utterly surprised if there wasn't corruption in the police, I mean you only have to look around and wonder why blatant criminals are allowed to go about their daily business without a care in the world. It might be because the system stinks and the police have to do too much work to get a result only for the CPS (couldn't prosecute satan) to either chuck it out or get ripped up for **** paper by a loophole lawyer. I do agree with your comments on mark duggan and agree that the killing was just, it's just a shame if the adverse media coverage makes the next cop think twice before pulling the trigger and it costs an innocent party their life. Transparency is important in the police, it's what the public need for reassurance, and will hopefully get a few more scrotes either banged up or behaving better.
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police. This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.[/p][/quote]What corruption? Come on give some details.[/p][/quote]Officer seagul is rattled me thinks[/p][/quote]It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop. Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.[/p][/quote]You are always very pro police, that's why I think you are a cop. I would be utterly surprised if there wasn't corruption in the police, I mean you only have to look around and wonder why blatant criminals are allowed to go about their daily business without a care in the world. It might be because the system stinks and the police have to do too much work to get a result only for the CPS (couldn't prosecute satan) to either chuck it out or get ripped up for **** paper by a loophole lawyer. I do agree with your comments on mark duggan and agree that the killing was just, it's just a shame if the adverse media coverage makes the next cop think twice before pulling the trigger and it costs an innocent party their life. Transparency is important in the police, it's what the public need for reassurance, and will hopefully get a few more scrotes either banged up or behaving better. Sogden
  • Score: 69

11:44pm Mon 12 May 14

fedup with your lies says...

Sogden wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
Sogden wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
fedup with your lies wrote:
Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police.
This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.
What corruption? Come on give some details.
Officer seagul is rattled me thinks
It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop.

Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.
You are always very pro police, that's why I think you are a cop. I would be utterly surprised if there wasn't corruption in the police, I mean you only have to look around and wonder why blatant criminals are allowed to go about their daily business without a care in the world. It might be because the system stinks and the police have to do too much work to get a result only for the CPS (couldn't prosecute satan) to either chuck it out or get ripped up for **** paper by a loophole lawyer. I do agree with your comments on mark duggan and agree that the killing was just, it's just a shame if the adverse media coverage makes the next cop think twice before pulling the trigger and it costs an innocent party their life. Transparency is important in the police, it's what the public need for reassurance, and will hopefully get a few more scrotes either banged up or behaving better.
Muggins regardless of how much you idolise the police force n sing their praises does not in the least convince me that corruption does not exist in the force. Are you telling me that coppers do not cover each other's backs or have you ever heard that a copper is suspended or sacked for his corruption. Nahhhhh!!!!! It gets swept under the carpet. My trust in the police is zero. Again that is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree as usual.
[quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police. This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.[/p][/quote]What corruption? Come on give some details.[/p][/quote]Officer seagul is rattled me thinks[/p][/quote]It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop. Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.[/p][/quote]You are always very pro police, that's why I think you are a cop. I would be utterly surprised if there wasn't corruption in the police, I mean you only have to look around and wonder why blatant criminals are allowed to go about their daily business without a care in the world. It might be because the system stinks and the police have to do too much work to get a result only for the CPS (couldn't prosecute satan) to either chuck it out or get ripped up for **** paper by a loophole lawyer. I do agree with your comments on mark duggan and agree that the killing was just, it's just a shame if the adverse media coverage makes the next cop think twice before pulling the trigger and it costs an innocent party their life. Transparency is important in the police, it's what the public need for reassurance, and will hopefully get a few more scrotes either banged up or behaving better.[/p][/quote]Muggins regardless of how much you idolise the police force n sing their praises does not in the least convince me that corruption does not exist in the force. Are you telling me that coppers do not cover each other's backs or have you ever heard that a copper is suspended or sacked for his corruption. Nahhhhh!!!!! It gets swept under the carpet. My trust in the police is zero. Again that is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree as usual. fedup with your lies
  • Score: 68

7:13am Tue 13 May 14

BuckoTheMoose says...

I have a dashcam. It's small enough to fit behind the mirror on a mount and is easily small enough to wear on my clothing, should I wish to.

It has an 8gb memory card and can record in loops of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, recording over the oldest file if the card becomes full and storing up to 2.5 hours film in HD quality.

The camera was £18 on ebay from China, brand new, and the card was a fiver.

Knowing what I do of public sector spending, I'm willing to bet that any cameras purchased for the police will begin at at least £100 - £200.

Anyone in the know care to correct me if I'm wrong?
I have a dashcam. It's small enough to fit behind the mirror on a mount and is easily small enough to wear on my clothing, should I wish to. It has an 8gb memory card and can record in loops of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, recording over the oldest file if the card becomes full and storing up to 2.5 hours film in HD quality. The camera was £18 on ebay from China, brand new, and the card was a fiver. Knowing what I do of public sector spending, I'm willing to bet that any cameras purchased for the police will begin at at least £100 - £200. Anyone in the know care to correct me if I'm wrong? BuckoTheMoose
  • Score: 71

7:54am Tue 13 May 14

Steven Seagull says...

fedup with your lies wrote:
Sogden wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
Sogden wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
fedup with your lies wrote:
Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police.
This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.
What corruption? Come on give some details.
Officer seagul is rattled me thinks
It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop.

Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.
You are always very pro police, that's why I think you are a cop. I would be utterly surprised if there wasn't corruption in the police, I mean you only have to look around and wonder why blatant criminals are allowed to go about their daily business without a care in the world. It might be because the system stinks and the police have to do too much work to get a result only for the CPS (couldn't prosecute satan) to either chuck it out or get ripped up for **** paper by a loophole lawyer. I do agree with your comments on mark duggan and agree that the killing was just, it's just a shame if the adverse media coverage makes the next cop think twice before pulling the trigger and it costs an innocent party their life. Transparency is important in the police, it's what the public need for reassurance, and will hopefully get a few more scrotes either banged up or behaving better.
Muggins regardless of how much you idolise the police force n sing their praises does not in the least convince me that corruption does not exist in the force. Are you telling me that coppers do not cover each other's backs or have you ever heard that a copper is suspended or sacked for his corruption. Nahhhhh!!!!! It gets swept under the carpet. My trust in the police is zero. Again that is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree as usual.
I think the word idolise is a bit it over the top. I think they do a very difficult job under the circumstances and cannot do right for doing wrong. I have several close relatives in the service so yes I am bound to be slightly biased. When I hear tales of what goes on, what they have to deal with and see I am quite literally shocked sometimes. They are quite literally a skip for societies waste. So it does irk me more than a little when people lay into them often with no substance or bad personal experience behind it other than what they read in the press. For example some people simply don't trust the police because of the Hillsborough disaster. An incident that happened 25 years ago when the culture was totally different from what it is today. Plebgate is another one, an incident involving a small number of officers 250 miles away who lied and are rightly being punished yet you are getting people in lancashire saying they don't trust the police because of it. It's utter nonsense and very narrow minded. I've used this analogy before, if a joiner came to fit a kitchen in my house and didn't do a good job are all joiners Bad and untrustworthy? Clearly not.

Having said that I most certainly will accept that bad apples exist in any profession, including the Police service and without question should be weeded out. But with over 150,000 rank and file officers in England and Wales it's unfair to judge the behaviour of the whole force on the actions of so few. And this could be said of any profession.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I don't agree with it and I think you are being very unfair in your judgement which for reasons known only to you you have arrived at.
[quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police. This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.[/p][/quote]What corruption? Come on give some details.[/p][/quote]Officer seagul is rattled me thinks[/p][/quote]It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop. Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.[/p][/quote]You are always very pro police, that's why I think you are a cop. I would be utterly surprised if there wasn't corruption in the police, I mean you only have to look around and wonder why blatant criminals are allowed to go about their daily business without a care in the world. It might be because the system stinks and the police have to do too much work to get a result only for the CPS (couldn't prosecute satan) to either chuck it out or get ripped up for **** paper by a loophole lawyer. I do agree with your comments on mark duggan and agree that the killing was just, it's just a shame if the adverse media coverage makes the next cop think twice before pulling the trigger and it costs an innocent party their life. Transparency is important in the police, it's what the public need for reassurance, and will hopefully get a few more scrotes either banged up or behaving better.[/p][/quote]Muggins regardless of how much you idolise the police force n sing their praises does not in the least convince me that corruption does not exist in the force. Are you telling me that coppers do not cover each other's backs or have you ever heard that a copper is suspended or sacked for his corruption. Nahhhhh!!!!! It gets swept under the carpet. My trust in the police is zero. Again that is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree as usual.[/p][/quote]I think the word idolise is a bit it over the top. I think they do a very difficult job under the circumstances and cannot do right for doing wrong. I have several close relatives in the service so yes I am bound to be slightly biased. When I hear tales of what goes on, what they have to deal with and see I am quite literally shocked sometimes. They are quite literally a skip for societies waste. So it does irk me more than a little when people lay into them often with no substance or bad personal experience behind it other than what they read in the press. For example some people simply don't trust the police because of the Hillsborough disaster. An incident that happened 25 years ago when the culture was totally different from what it is today. Plebgate is another one, an incident involving a small number of officers 250 miles away who lied and are rightly being punished yet you are getting people in lancashire saying they don't trust the police because of it. It's utter nonsense and very narrow minded. I've used this analogy before, if a joiner came to fit a kitchen in my house and didn't do a good job are all joiners Bad and untrustworthy? Clearly not. Having said that I most certainly will accept that bad apples exist in any profession, including the Police service and without question should be weeded out. But with over 150,000 rank and file officers in England and Wales it's unfair to judge the behaviour of the whole force on the actions of so few. And this could be said of any profession. Yes you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I don't agree with it and I think you are being very unfair in your judgement which for reasons known only to you you have arrived at. Steven Seagull
  • Score: -68

8:38am Tue 13 May 14

Rovers.1875 says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
fedup with your lies wrote:
Sogden wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
Sogden wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
fedup with your lies wrote:
Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police.
This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.
What corruption? Come on give some details.
Officer seagul is rattled me thinks
It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop.

Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.
You are always very pro police, that's why I think you are a cop. I would be utterly surprised if there wasn't corruption in the police, I mean you only have to look around and wonder why blatant criminals are allowed to go about their daily business without a care in the world. It might be because the system stinks and the police have to do too much work to get a result only for the CPS (couldn't prosecute satan) to either chuck it out or get ripped up for **** paper by a loophole lawyer. I do agree with your comments on mark duggan and agree that the killing was just, it's just a shame if the adverse media coverage makes the next cop think twice before pulling the trigger and it costs an innocent party their life. Transparency is important in the police, it's what the public need for reassurance, and will hopefully get a few more scrotes either banged up or behaving better.
Muggins regardless of how much you idolise the police force n sing their praises does not in the least convince me that corruption does not exist in the force. Are you telling me that coppers do not cover each other's backs or have you ever heard that a copper is suspended or sacked for his corruption. Nahhhhh!!!!! It gets swept under the carpet. My trust in the police is zero. Again that is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree as usual.
I think the word idolise is a bit it over the top. I think they do a very difficult job under the circumstances and cannot do right for doing wrong. I have several close relatives in the service so yes I am bound to be slightly biased. When I hear tales of what goes on, what they have to deal with and see I am quite literally shocked sometimes. They are quite literally a skip for societies waste. So it does irk me more than a little when people lay into them often with no substance or bad personal experience behind it other than what they read in the press. For example some people simply don't trust the police because of the Hillsborough disaster. An incident that happened 25 years ago when the culture was totally different from what it is today. Plebgate is another one, an incident involving a small number of officers 250 miles away who lied and are rightly being punished yet you are getting people in lancashire saying they don't trust the police because of it. It's utter nonsense and very narrow minded. I've used this analogy before, if a joiner came to fit a kitchen in my house and didn't do a good job are all joiners Bad and untrustworthy? Clearly not.

Having said that I most certainly will accept that bad apples exist in any profession, including the Police service and without question should be weeded out. But with over 150,000 rank and file officers in England and Wales it's unfair to judge the behaviour of the whole force on the actions of so few. And this could be said of any profession.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I don't agree with it and I think you are being very unfair in your judgement which for reasons known only to you you have arrived at.
I think you have fought a case for both sides that the police should wear cameras there. As you say, there is most definitely 'bad apples' in the force, maybe an officer who likes to throw his weight around, or other lesser offences like that which always go unnoticed or dealt with because they are impossible for the member of the public to prove... Then there is the side for the officer, sometimes things that should be prosecuted for, like racist remarks etc, are not worth the paperwork, but with camera footage would be easily proven.

For these cameras to work, which I personally think is one of the best ideas they have come up with in a while, then every officer in the country needs to wear one while dealing with the public and they must be switched on at all times.
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedup with your lies[/bold] wrote: Let's hope this is a deterrent for corruption within our police. This is my opinion muggins before you start having a go at me.[/p][/quote]What corruption? Come on give some details.[/p][/quote]Officer seagul is rattled me thinks[/p][/quote]It's a perfectly legitimate question bone head, why does that have to make me a cop. Do I assume "fed up with your lies" is a criminal because he thinks the police are corrupt? No I don't.[/p][/quote]You are always very pro police, that's why I think you are a cop. I would be utterly surprised if there wasn't corruption in the police, I mean you only have to look around and wonder why blatant criminals are allowed to go about their daily business without a care in the world. It might be because the system stinks and the police have to do too much work to get a result only for the CPS (couldn't prosecute satan) to either chuck it out or get ripped up for **** paper by a loophole lawyer. I do agree with your comments on mark duggan and agree that the killing was just, it's just a shame if the adverse media coverage makes the next cop think twice before pulling the trigger and it costs an innocent party their life. Transparency is important in the police, it's what the public need for reassurance, and will hopefully get a few more scrotes either banged up or behaving better.[/p][/quote]Muggins regardless of how much you idolise the police force n sing their praises does not in the least convince me that corruption does not exist in the force. Are you telling me that coppers do not cover each other's backs or have you ever heard that a copper is suspended or sacked for his corruption. Nahhhhh!!!!! It gets swept under the carpet. My trust in the police is zero. Again that is my opinion, you are welcome to disagree as usual.[/p][/quote]I think the word idolise is a bit it over the top. I think they do a very difficult job under the circumstances and cannot do right for doing wrong. I have several close relatives in the service so yes I am bound to be slightly biased. When I hear tales of what goes on, what they have to deal with and see I am quite literally shocked sometimes. They are quite literally a skip for societies waste. So it does irk me more than a little when people lay into them often with no substance or bad personal experience behind it other than what they read in the press. For example some people simply don't trust the police because of the Hillsborough disaster. An incident that happened 25 years ago when the culture was totally different from what it is today. Plebgate is another one, an incident involving a small number of officers 250 miles away who lied and are rightly being punished yet you are getting people in lancashire saying they don't trust the police because of it. It's utter nonsense and very narrow minded. I've used this analogy before, if a joiner came to fit a kitchen in my house and didn't do a good job are all joiners Bad and untrustworthy? Clearly not. Having said that I most certainly will accept that bad apples exist in any profession, including the Police service and without question should be weeded out. But with over 150,000 rank and file officers in England and Wales it's unfair to judge the behaviour of the whole force on the actions of so few. And this could be said of any profession. Yes you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I don't agree with it and I think you are being very unfair in your judgement which for reasons known only to you you have arrived at.[/p][/quote]I think you have fought a case for both sides that the police should wear cameras there. As you say, there is most definitely 'bad apples' in the force, maybe an officer who likes to throw his weight around, or other lesser offences like that which always go unnoticed or dealt with because they are impossible for the member of the public to prove... Then there is the side for the officer, sometimes things that should be prosecuted for, like racist remarks etc, are not worth the paperwork, but with camera footage would be easily proven. For these cameras to work, which I personally think is one of the best ideas they have come up with in a while, then every officer in the country needs to wear one while dealing with the public and they must be switched on at all times. Rovers.1875
  • Score: 70

11:09am Tue 13 May 14

ConcernedOssy says...

BuckoTheMoose wrote:
I have a dashcam. It's small enough to fit behind the mirror on a mount and is easily small enough to wear on my clothing, should I wish to.

It has an 8gb memory card and can record in loops of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, recording over the oldest file if the card becomes full and storing up to 2.5 hours film in HD quality.

The camera was £18 on ebay from China, brand new, and the card was a fiver.

Knowing what I do of public sector spending, I'm willing to bet that any cameras purchased for the police will begin at at least £100 - £200.

Anyone in the know care to correct me if I'm wrong?
Yes You are correct and I think also in your assumption,but if it's only public money being spent nobody seem to look for the best buy anymore. They are also on sale at for about £28 (at the largest electronics and electrical distributor branch in Preston NHS, Local Authorities,and GOV have accounts there but they are PROBABLY TOO CHEAP !!!!)
[quote][p][bold]BuckoTheMoose[/bold] wrote: I have a dashcam. It's small enough to fit behind the mirror on a mount and is easily small enough to wear on my clothing, should I wish to. It has an 8gb memory card and can record in loops of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, recording over the oldest file if the card becomes full and storing up to 2.5 hours film in HD quality. The camera was £18 on ebay from China, brand new, and the card was a fiver. Knowing what I do of public sector spending, I'm willing to bet that any cameras purchased for the police will begin at at least £100 - £200. Anyone in the know care to correct me if I'm wrong?[/p][/quote]Yes You are correct and I think also in your assumption,but if it's only public money being spent nobody seem to look for the best buy anymore. They are also on sale at for about £28 (at the largest electronics and electrical distributor branch in Preston NHS, Local Authorities,and GOV have accounts there but they are PROBABLY TOO CHEAP !!!!) ConcernedOssy
  • Score: 64

4:55pm Tue 13 May 14

Sogden says...

ConcernedOssy wrote:
BuckoTheMoose wrote:
I have a dashcam. It's small enough to fit behind the mirror on a mount and is easily small enough to wear on my clothing, should I wish to.

It has an 8gb memory card and can record in loops of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, recording over the oldest file if the card becomes full and storing up to 2.5 hours film in HD quality.

The camera was £18 on ebay from China, brand new, and the card was a fiver.

Knowing what I do of public sector spending, I'm willing to bet that any cameras purchased for the police will begin at at least £100 - £200.

Anyone in the know care to correct me if I'm wrong?
Yes You are correct and I think also in your assumption,but if it's only public money being spent nobody seem to look for the best buy anymore. They are also on sale at for about £28 (at the largest electronics and electrical distributor branch in Preston NHS, Local Authorities,and GOV have accounts there but they are PROBABLY TOO CHEAP !!!!)
I'll give you a clue, it will be a 4 figure sum per camera, the camera will have to comply with home office specification and not include a removal storage device in order to stop tampering. It will only be downloaded via a secure connection and will not be able to edited. Something you can still pick up for £200 on civvy st but like all government organisations, will cost 5 times more
[quote][p][bold]ConcernedOssy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BuckoTheMoose[/bold] wrote: I have a dashcam. It's small enough to fit behind the mirror on a mount and is easily small enough to wear on my clothing, should I wish to. It has an 8gb memory card and can record in loops of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, recording over the oldest file if the card becomes full and storing up to 2.5 hours film in HD quality. The camera was £18 on ebay from China, brand new, and the card was a fiver. Knowing what I do of public sector spending, I'm willing to bet that any cameras purchased for the police will begin at at least £100 - £200. Anyone in the know care to correct me if I'm wrong?[/p][/quote]Yes You are correct and I think also in your assumption,but if it's only public money being spent nobody seem to look for the best buy anymore. They are also on sale at for about £28 (at the largest electronics and electrical distributor branch in Preston NHS, Local Authorities,and GOV have accounts there but they are PROBABLY TOO CHEAP !!!!)[/p][/quote]I'll give you a clue, it will be a 4 figure sum per camera, the camera will have to comply with home office specification and not include a removal storage device in order to stop tampering. It will only be downloaded via a secure connection and will not be able to edited. Something you can still pick up for £200 on civvy st but like all government organisations, will cost 5 times more Sogden
  • Score: 44

6:11pm Tue 13 May 14

BuckoTheMoose says...

Sogden wrote:
ConcernedOssy wrote:
BuckoTheMoose wrote:
I have a dashcam. It's small enough to fit behind the mirror on a mount and is easily small enough to wear on my clothing, should I wish to.

It has an 8gb memory card and can record in loops of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, recording over the oldest file if the card becomes full and storing up to 2.5 hours film in HD quality.

The camera was £18 on ebay from China, brand new, and the card was a fiver.

Knowing what I do of public sector spending, I'm willing to bet that any cameras purchased for the police will begin at at least £100 - £200.

Anyone in the know care to correct me if I'm wrong?
Yes You are correct and I think also in your assumption,but if it's only public money being spent nobody seem to look for the best buy anymore. They are also on sale at for about £28 (at the largest electronics and electrical distributor branch in Preston NHS, Local Authorities,and GOV have accounts there but they are PROBABLY TOO CHEAP !!!!)
I'll give you a clue, it will be a 4 figure sum per camera, the camera will have to comply with home office specification and not include a removal storage device in order to stop tampering. It will only be downloaded via a secure connection and will not be able to edited. Something you can still pick up for £200 on civvy st but like all government organisations, will cost 5 times more
Interesting. I can see the need for extra security, considering they may be used in evidence, but as you say, they will cost a lot more than necessary.

If it really is a 4 figure sum though, I can't see how the expense is justified for the use. Particularly as the cuts are supposed to be hitting the police hard.
[quote][p][bold]Sogden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ConcernedOssy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BuckoTheMoose[/bold] wrote: I have a dashcam. It's small enough to fit behind the mirror on a mount and is easily small enough to wear on my clothing, should I wish to. It has an 8gb memory card and can record in loops of 5, 10 or 15 minutes, recording over the oldest file if the card becomes full and storing up to 2.5 hours film in HD quality. The camera was £18 on ebay from China, brand new, and the card was a fiver. Knowing what I do of public sector spending, I'm willing to bet that any cameras purchased for the police will begin at at least £100 - £200. Anyone in the know care to correct me if I'm wrong?[/p][/quote]Yes You are correct and I think also in your assumption,but if it's only public money being spent nobody seem to look for the best buy anymore. They are also on sale at for about £28 (at the largest electronics and electrical distributor branch in Preston NHS, Local Authorities,and GOV have accounts there but they are PROBABLY TOO CHEAP !!!!)[/p][/quote]I'll give you a clue, it will be a 4 figure sum per camera, the camera will have to comply with home office specification and not include a removal storage device in order to stop tampering. It will only be downloaded via a secure connection and will not be able to edited. Something you can still pick up for £200 on civvy st but like all government organisations, will cost 5 times more[/p][/quote]Interesting. I can see the need for extra security, considering they may be used in evidence, but as you say, they will cost a lot more than necessary. If it really is a 4 figure sum though, I can't see how the expense is justified for the use. Particularly as the cuts are supposed to be hitting the police hard. BuckoTheMoose
  • Score: 43

9:45pm Wed 14 May 14

Graham Hartley says...

The model shown in the image accompanying this report appears to be the Taser Axon (stap me! another Taser product) available for 299 or so but offered with a per user cloud security package which looks decent at 10 or so per month but rises to 50 or so per month - recall that's per user, so looks rather hefty if all public-dealing officers 'want' one.
The model shown in the image accompanying this report appears to be the Taser Axon (stap me! another Taser product) available for 299 or so but offered with a per user cloud security package which looks decent at 10 or so per month but rises to 50 or so per month - recall that's per user, so looks rather hefty if all public-dealing officers 'want' one. Graham Hartley
  • Score: -31

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree