A PENSIONER was treated for smoke inhalation after his cigarette sparked a small fire at his home.

Crews attended the property in Hanson Street, Great Harwood, at about 3.50am yesterday and said the fire was out by the time they arrived.

They said it was caused by smoking materials setting fire to some paper in the bathroom, after the occupant had fallen asleep.

A neighbour had heard the smoke alarm and dialled 999, but the man had put out the fire by the time crews arrived.

There was some moderate heat damage to the floor and some smoke damage.