Burnley’s first Buddhist temple could open in vacant mill

Burnley’s first Buddhist temple could open in vacant mill

Burnley’s first Buddhist temple could open in vacant mill

First published in News

BURNLEY’s first Buddhist temple could open in a vacant town centre mill.

The Yorkshire-based Kadampa Buddhist Centre has lodged plans with Burnley Council to convert Brunside Mill, in Parker Street, into a place of worship.

The proposal also includes a cafe and shop on the site, last used as a carpet and furniture showroom by UK Carpets & Interiors.

The application, made in the name of Buddha Land’s resident teacher, Gen Kelsang Paljin, said the temple would be used for prayers, meditation and workshops.

He said: “The overall aim is to provide a spiritual refuge where everyone, Buddhists and non-Buddhist, can feel part of a supportive comunity, find inspiration and encouragement to develop harmony and peace within their lives.

“The shop would sell small artefacts and books compatible with Kadampa Buddhist philosophy. It would provide general information on Buddhist philosophy and meditation to people of the area.”

Neil Grahame, who helps run the Burnley Kadampa Buddhist Centre, in Curzon Street, said the temple would be used mainly as a meditation centre.

He said: “The building offers more space. There is a demand, mainly for our meditation classes, which is our strongest attraction.

“The cafe gets used quite a lot as well. The prayers are in the form of chanting but they are a fairly minor part of what we offer.

“At present it’s really informal but we get up to 25 people at our Wednesday meditation classes and around 10 at our Monday teachings.

“As far as I’m aware we’re the most active in East Lancashire. Buddhists don’t evangelise or try to convert people in the street. The idea is that people come to Buddhism.”

Mr Grahame, from Roughlee, said he believed Brunside Mill had been purchased outright. It was on the market last month with auctioneers Pugh and Company, with a guide price of £100,000.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:56pm Thu 20 Mar 14

BIGGLESTOE says...

Religion, the 'Bain' of humanity! Methinks the only chanting I'll carry on with, will be at the Turf Moor congregation praying for another win, and my long suffering other half of 36 years.
Religion, the 'Bain' of humanity! Methinks the only chanting I'll carry on with, will be at the Turf Moor congregation praying for another win, and my long suffering other half of 36 years. BIGGLESTOE
  • Score: -18

9:01pm Thu 20 Mar 14

doctor1970 says...

Chanting, sounds like fun. Where can i sign up lol
Chanting, sounds like fun. Where can i sign up lol doctor1970
  • Score: -1

9:07pm Thu 20 Mar 14

Openminded? says...

BIGGLESTOE wrote:
Religion, the 'Bain' of humanity! Methinks the only chanting I'll carry on with, will be at the Turf Moor congregation praying for another win, and my long suffering other half of 36 years.
chanting, or the verbal abuse fans give the other team, or the hand gestures?
[quote][p][bold]BIGGLESTOE[/bold] wrote: Religion, the 'Bain' of humanity! Methinks the only chanting I'll carry on with, will be at the Turf Moor congregation praying for another win, and my long suffering other half of 36 years.[/p][/quote]chanting, or the verbal abuse fans give the other team, or the hand gestures? Openminded?
  • Score: 3

9:18pm Thu 20 Mar 14

johnley says...

i am happy for them,
i am happy for them, johnley
  • Score: 13

10:02pm Thu 20 Mar 14

BIGGLESTOE says...

Openminded? wrote:
BIGGLESTOE wrote:
Religion, the 'Bain' of humanity! Methinks the only chanting I'll carry on with, will be at the Turf Moor congregation praying for another win, and my long suffering other half of 36 years.
chanting, or the verbal abuse fans give the other team, or the hand gestures?
Knew I'd draw weak-minded? nobody in haa haa!
[quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BIGGLESTOE[/bold] wrote: Religion, the 'Bain' of humanity! Methinks the only chanting I'll carry on with, will be at the Turf Moor congregation praying for another win, and my long suffering other half of 36 years.[/p][/quote]chanting, or the verbal abuse fans give the other team, or the hand gestures?[/p][/quote]Knew I'd draw weak-minded? nobody in haa haa! BIGGLESTOE
  • Score: -8

10:21pm Thu 20 Mar 14

Burnley_resident says...

You don't have to be religious to practice meditation. Neuroscience has proven the benefits of mindfulness meditation for pain control. Neuroscience has also proven that meditators can also alter the structure & function of their brain,this is called neuroplasticity. Neuroplasticity is a term that is used to describe the brain changes that occur in response to experience.
You don't have to be religious to practice meditation. Neuroscience has proven the benefits of mindfulness meditation for pain control. Neuroscience has also proven that meditators can also alter the structure & function of their brain,this is called neuroplasticity. Neuroplasticity is a term that is used to describe the brain changes that occur in response to experience. Burnley_resident
  • Score: 19

10:51pm Thu 20 Mar 14

owd nick says...

Well, I suppose it make a change from yet another bloody mosque.

That's me banned for life for having an opinion.
Well, I suppose it make a change from yet another bloody mosque. That's me banned for life for having an opinion. owd nick
  • Score: -16

12:33pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Truth will out says...

Good for the town that there is something different and far far better than just another empty unit.

The more Burnley can be seen as more cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant the better for attracting business.
Good for the town that there is something different and far far better than just another empty unit. The more Burnley can be seen as more cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant the better for attracting business. Truth will out
  • Score: 9

2:41pm Fri 21 Mar 14

owd nick says...

Truth will out wrote:
Good for the town that there is something different and far far better than just another empty unit.

The more Burnley can be seen as more cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant the better for attracting business.
Fair comment as long as every creed follows the cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant tags not just the Christian one.

BTW, I was brought up a Christian but now consider myself something akin to an atheist purely because I believe that all religions are intrinsically evil as they are based on unsubstantiated belief systems, such systems by their very nature are intolerant in varying degrees of other faiths.

If you doubt that look throughout all human history right up to the present day to see the evil that is perpetrated on mankind by faith in anthropomorphic personifications.

And for what?
[quote][p][bold]Truth will out[/bold] wrote: Good for the town that there is something different and far far better than just another empty unit. The more Burnley can be seen as more cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant the better for attracting business.[/p][/quote]Fair comment as long as every creed follows the cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant tags not just the Christian one. BTW, I was brought up a Christian but now consider myself something akin to an atheist purely because I believe that all religions are intrinsically evil as they are based on unsubstantiated belief systems, such systems by their very nature are intolerant in varying degrees of other faiths. If you doubt that look throughout all human history right up to the present day to see the evil that is perpetrated on mankind by faith in anthropomorphic personifications. And for what? owd nick
  • Score: -6

12:35am Sat 22 Mar 14

BIGGLESTOE says...

owd nick wrote:
Truth will out wrote:
Good for the town that there is something different and far far better than just another empty unit.

The more Burnley can be seen as more cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant the better for attracting business.
Fair comment as long as every creed follows the cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant tags not just the Christian one.

BTW, I was brought up a Christian but now consider myself something akin to an atheist purely because I believe that all religions are intrinsically evil as they are based on unsubstantiated belief systems, such systems by their very nature are intolerant in varying degrees of other faiths.

If you doubt that look throughout all human history right up to the present day to see the evil that is perpetrated on mankind by faith in anthropomorphic personifications.

And for what?
Eloquently put sir. My views and background are not dissimilar to yours on this subject!
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Truth will out[/bold] wrote: Good for the town that there is something different and far far better than just another empty unit. The more Burnley can be seen as more cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant the better for attracting business.[/p][/quote]Fair comment as long as every creed follows the cosmopolitan, diverse and tolerant tags not just the Christian one. BTW, I was brought up a Christian but now consider myself something akin to an atheist purely because I believe that all religions are intrinsically evil as they are based on unsubstantiated belief systems, such systems by their very nature are intolerant in varying degrees of other faiths. If you doubt that look throughout all human history right up to the present day to see the evil that is perpetrated on mankind by faith in anthropomorphic personifications. And for what?[/p][/quote]Eloquently put sir. My views and background are not dissimilar to yours on this subject! BIGGLESTOE
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree