A FOOTBALL fan accused of throwing a drinks bottle at QPR player Joey Barton has been told he faces no further criminal action.
Burnley FC supporter John Pounder had faced at least three court dates over the alleged incident, following the West London club’s game at Turf Moor last October.
But he will now be free to watch the Clarets’ Roses battle with Leeds United this weekend after the case against him was dropped.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Teenager 'seriously injured' after being thrown from quad bike in Sabden
- Man arrested after crash on A59 leaves motorcyclist with injuries
- Single mum caught trying to smuggle cocaine, cannabis and amphetamines into prison
- Sex offender with festish for boys in white socks caught talking to 15-year-old on Grindr
Prosecutors formally withdrew accusations that he used threatening behaviour towards Barton, during the game, and had thrown a two-thirds full bottle of Coca-Cola towards the playing area, after CCTV footage emerged regarding the matter.
Earlier this year prosecutor Parveen Akhtar had even said that an assault charge may be considered concerning the former Everton, Manchester City and Newcastle forward. But this prospective offence, as well as the two original charges have been withdrawn after evidence was reviewed.
CCTV footage of the incident, provided by Lancashire Police, was only handed to Pounder’s solicitor Dominic Ingle at the last hearing.
Pounder, formerly of Cedar Avenue, Haslingden, but now understood to be living elsewhere in the town, had denied both of the charges and was due to stand trial next Friday, March 21 at Burnley Magistrates’ Court.
One of his bail conditions was that he was not allowed to attend Turf Moor while the case was ongoing.
A CPS spokesman said: “After receiving a file of evidence from the police, the CPS reviewed all the evidence in the case including the CCTV of the incident and concluded that it was not possible to prove from the CCTV images who had thrown the bottle. "