A MIDNIGHT double knifeman who was armed with two 10 inch blades outside in Colne, has been locked up for eight weeks.

Burnley magistrates heard how Lee Morris, 31, said to have been drunk, very angry and aggressive, had left the house where he was staying in the town, with a weapon, shouting and threatening: 'I am going to knife someone.'

Morris later returned to the property without the knife, but got another large blade. He left John Blakey whose home he was staying at, scared and upset by his odd behaviour and fearing what might happen.

The defendant, who was jailed for a month last May for having a blade, admitted possessing a kitchen knife on St Stephen's Way, Colne.

Morris, of St Stephen's Way, was told by the justices he had had a dangerous weapon and had gone back and selected a second knife.

Chairman Stephen Riley said: "There is always the potential for great harm." Mr Riley added the Bench had wanted to pass a suspended jail term, but the defendant had persistently failed to comply with court orders.

Parveen Akhtar, prosecuting, said Mr Blakey had known the defendant for about five years and just after midnight he knocked on his door. He appeared aggressive and was rambling and shouting. Mr Blakey said nothing and kept quiet.

Morris had a knife from Mr Blakey's kitchen in his hand, said he was going to knife someone and set off towards Oak Street. He returned several minutes later without the blade.

Miss Akhtar said the defendant had calmed down and told Mr Blakey: "I wouldn't have done anything." Morris then walked into the kitchen, appeared with another large knife and walked out of the house. Mr Blakey, on the phone to police, could see the defendant outside, still holding the knife.

The defendant then walked back in and put the blade on Mr Blakey's laptop in the kitchen.

Two police officers arrived and Morris was compliant when asked to show his hands. The first knife was not recovered. Mr Blakey was left shocked by the incident and felt the defendant needed help with his drink issues.

Glen Smith, for Morris, said he had mental health issues. He had been in a road accident and suffered injury some years ago . His grandmother, who had looked after him for a long time, but was no longer able to do so, would say he had never been the same.

The solicitor said Morris had had a drink, but didn't know why he had done it.