Battle to save Burnley 'hub' rages on

Lancashire Telegraph: A previous protest at the town hall in November A previous protest at the town hall in November

CAMPAIGNERS have vowed to continue their battle to protect a community hub, despite councillors signing off the land for housing.

Two security guards were called in to usher out prot-esters after Burnley Council’s executive voted unan- imously to dispose of land surrounding Burnley Wood Youth and Community Gr-oup, in Glebe Street.

The hub looks likely to be demolished to make way for developers Keepmoat to build 117 homes.

Planning permission had already been granted for the scheme by the council’s development control committee last month.

Liberal Democrat councillor Jeff Sumner said the decision was ‘disappointing, disgraceful and down-right political’.

He said: “I thought surely with the amount of objections put forward (584 formal letters and a 1,400-strong petition) pleading for our conditions to be met, we would get through.

“I met with Keepmoat’s managing director, David Wroe, who said he’d be happy to incorporate the Glebe Street building into their plans.

“We were over the moon about that, the whole of Burnley Wood was delighted with that repreive.

“Four days later, after he’d met with council officers, we found out he’d changed his mind.

“That was the biggest disappointment in the whole campaign for us.”

Coun Sumner, along with fellow Lib Dem borough councillor Tracy Kennedy, and County Councillor Mar- garet Brindle spoke at Tuesday night’s meeting, as did Jason Neville, chairman of Burnley Wood Youth and Community Group.

Coun Sumner said there were shouts of ‘liar’ from the 35-strong public gall-ery as the executive’s chair- man, Coun Julie Cooper, announced the decision to go ahead with the project.

He added: “All this is not over yet.

“We’ve lost a couple of steps, but we’re calling in the decision on Monday and, until it’s rubber-stamped by the Secretary of St-ate, no building can go there.

“We hope the council realise the error they’ve made and look at keeping it open.

“All we’re asking for is 0.4 hectares of land.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:47am Fri 13 Dec 13

leyton says...

when are you going to realise that this is a concentrated effort to totally break up Burnley Wood.After the riots they were told to totally destroy the place because that was where most of the people charged lived .The houses went and there were indeed still are 100's of houses in a worse condition in other areas but they didn't knock them down because they weren't charged. The shops went and they tried 3 times to get rid of the Burnley Wood club but couldn't that really piiissed them off.THE ONLY THING LEFT WAS THE YOUTH CLUBS ETC: THEY DON'T WANT ANY ONE WHO WAS INVOLVED TO HAVE A CHANCE TO MEET AND TALK,Simples and there's proof about.
when are you going to realise that this is a concentrated effort to totally break up Burnley Wood.After the riots they were told to totally destroy the place because that was where most of the people charged lived .The houses went and there were indeed still are 100's of houses in a worse condition in other areas but they didn't knock them down because they weren't charged. The shops went and they tried 3 times to get rid of the Burnley Wood club but couldn't that really piiissed them off.THE ONLY THING LEFT WAS THE YOUTH CLUBS ETC: THEY DON'T WANT ANY ONE WHO WAS INVOLVED TO HAVE A CHANCE TO MEET AND TALK,Simples and there's proof about. leyton

12:33pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Mister Red says...

Do they really expect us to believe that they had not decided a few years ago to demolish the building and use the land for private builders?
I would like the people involved to explain why it would be good for a family with children to buy one of these new houses,as I cannot for the life of me find one.I pity the children living in this area now as they will soon have no form of recreation at all.
I hope the people involved remember this day when they ask for people to vote for them in the next elections.The reply will come on two fingers.
Or maybe just on one single middle one.
Do they really expect us to believe that they had not decided a few years ago to demolish the building and use the land for private builders? I would like the people involved to explain why it would be good for a family with children to buy one of these new houses,as I cannot for the life of me find one.I pity the children living in this area now as they will soon have no form of recreation at all. I hope the people involved remember this day when they ask for people to vote for them in the next elections.The reply will come on two fingers. Or maybe just on one single middle one. Mister Red

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree