TODAY we take a look at old Burnley - recorded as Brunley in the 13th century.

The town as we know it today grew up on a tongue of land where the River Brun meets the Calder.

The parish church of St Peter's was built close to the Brun and the old town grew round it, with the market place, and its cross adjacent.

The main railway station, then known as Bank Top, was opened by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company in 1848, linking Accrington and Colne and the following year another line was opened from Burnley to Todmorden.

The arrival of the Leeds Liverpool canal brought major transport benefits to Burnley's industry, with mills and factories springing up along its banks, as the town grew to become the weaving capital of the world.

But while weaving was the staple industry of Burnley for many decades, weaving machinery manufacturers, iron foundries, paper works, breweries and brick-making works were also major employers, while coal, stone and slate were also found in and around the town.

Remains of ancient inhabitants, such as the earthworks and burial mounds have been found at Cliviger and Worsthorne, while Roman interments and coins have also been discovered.