Lancashire TelegraphRovers boss plans to blood youngsters in Capital One Cup (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Rovers boss plans to blood youngsters in Capital One Cup

Lancashire Telegraph: Rovers boss Gary Bowyer Rovers boss Gary Bowyer

BLACKBURN Rovers boss Gary Bowyer will once again take the opportunity to blood youngsters in the Capital One Cup.

But Bowyer has made it clear he wants no repeat of last season’s penalty shoot-out loss at Carlisle.

Rovers discovered their first-round opponents this morning when they were drawn at home to League One new boys Scunthorpe United.

But even before the draw was made Bowyer indicated he will give stars like Jack O’Connell a chance to shine.

And he is expecting nothing less than progress after his side’s shock exit at the same stage in 2012-13.

“Last season we did that and unfortunately for us we got knocked out on penalties,” said Bowyer, who handed Yann Songo’o and Josh Morris their only starts of the campaign in the spot-kick defeat at then League One Carlisle.

“We don’t want to be getting knocked out and it certainly wasn’t the plan last season.

“The plan was to put people on the pitch to see how they coped with that environment.

“We’ve got quite a few now who have been out and got League experience so it is probably something we will look at.

“It’s nice to give some of the younger players an opportunity and the Capital One Cup should present a chance to do that.

“But we were disappointed last season that we out of the competition at that stage and we certainly wouldn’t want a repeat.”

O’Connell, Anthony O’Connor and Anton Forrester, along with the older Morris, spent last season out on loan in League Two, while John O’Sullivan and Kellen Daly finished the campaign playing in the Conference Premier with Southport.

Centre back O’Connell, regarded as the club’s best prospect for his age, is in talks over a new contract.

The 20-year-old helped Rochdale to promotion from League Two last season and he has been backed by their manager – former Rovers defender Keith Hill – to push for a place in Bowyer’s first-team squad.

Rovers’ transfer-listed midfielder Dickson Etuhu, meanwhile, has been linked with a move to the United Arab Emirates.

Dubai-based Al Ahli are reportedly interested in signing the 32-year-old.

Etuhu has made just 24 appearances for Rovers since his £1.5m move from Fulham two years ago.

The Nigeria international, one of the club’s biggest earners, has two years left on his contract.

Rovers have had no contact from Al Ahli.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:29am Tue 17 Jun 14

owd nick says...

Right thing to do, the key bit is that Rovers loaned quite a few youngsters out last season to clubs in both these leagues to gain experience and that must benefit them.

They should do an Arsenal, win the game and you play next time, and the time after that....
Right thing to do, the key bit is that Rovers loaned quite a few youngsters out last season to clubs in both these leagues to gain experience and that must benefit them. They should do an Arsenal, win the game and you play next time, and the time after that.... owd nick
  • Score: 15

10:00am Tue 17 Jun 14

Super Claret says...

Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode. Super Claret
  • Score: -20

10:05am Tue 17 Jun 14

Steven Seagull says...

Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt.
Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.
[quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt. Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United. Steven Seagull
  • Score: -18

10:06am Tue 17 Jun 14

Bazzer says...

Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Whatever, will never be as bad as Leighton James and his crew at Telford. That was a massacre.
[quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Whatever, will never be as bad as Leighton James and his crew at Telford. That was a massacre. Bazzer
  • Score: 19

10:19am Tue 17 Jun 14

Chuck Norris' Roundhouse says...

Bazzer wrote:
Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Whatever, will never be as bad as Leighton James and his crew at Telford. That was a massacre.
I was there as a 13 year old - it was awful, it literally could have been five or six on a terrible pitch.

And do you know what, it is remembering days like that and the 6-0 home tonking by Hereford that makes last season so satisfactory. When you have stared into the abyss the highs are much better.
[quote][p][bold]Bazzer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Whatever, will never be as bad as Leighton James and his crew at Telford. That was a massacre.[/p][/quote]I was there as a 13 year old - it was awful, it literally could have been five or six on a terrible pitch. And do you know what, it is remembering days like that and the 6-0 home tonking by Hereford that makes last season so satisfactory. When you have stared into the abyss the highs are much better. Chuck Norris' Roundhouse
  • Score: 4

10:32am Tue 17 Jun 14

Super Claret says...

Exactly right. When you've followed your team through thick and thin, from the depth of the old forth division to earning a place as a member of the elite 20 clubs in the country through nothing other than honest hard work and determination, the high's like recent seasons seem so much better.

But if you're a Blackburn Rovers fan who discovered football in 1995 then recent seasons must seem somewhat like an exotic form of torture... and long may it continue.

Enjoy your first round humbling and keep looking up!
Exactly right. When you've followed your team through thick and thin, from the depth of the old forth division to earning a place as a member of the elite 20 clubs in the country through nothing other than honest hard work and determination, the high's like recent seasons seem so much better. But if you're a Blackburn Rovers fan who discovered football in 1995 then recent seasons must seem somewhat like an exotic form of torture... and long may it continue. Enjoy your first round humbling and keep looking up! Super Claret
  • Score: -21

10:32am Tue 17 Jun 14

34 years says...

Chuck Norris' Roundhouse wrote:
Bazzer wrote:
Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Whatever, will never be as bad as Leighton James and his crew at Telford. That was a massacre.
I was there as a 13 year old - it was awful, it literally could have been five or six on a terrible pitch.

And do you know what, it is remembering days like that and the 6-0 home tonking by Hereford that makes last season so satisfactory. When you have stared into the abyss the highs are much better.
That's a great post - I am a Rover but we are all football fans just supporting our home town club through thick and thin
[quote][p][bold]Chuck Norris' Roundhouse[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bazzer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Whatever, will never be as bad as Leighton James and his crew at Telford. That was a massacre.[/p][/quote]I was there as a 13 year old - it was awful, it literally could have been five or six on a terrible pitch. And do you know what, it is remembering days like that and the 6-0 home tonking by Hereford that makes last season so satisfactory. When you have stared into the abyss the highs are much better.[/p][/quote]That's a great post - I am a Rover but we are all football fans just supporting our home town club through thick and thin 34 years
  • Score: 14

10:35am Tue 17 Jun 14

Harwoodstblue says...

Goodby Dickson. Close the door behind you. You won't be missed.
Hope this comes off and the tidying up job is coming along nicely.
Goodby Dickson. Close the door behind you. You won't be missed. Hope this comes off and the tidying up job is coming along nicely. Harwoodstblue
  • Score: 12

11:21am Tue 17 Jun 14

digitusjonfred says...

Super Claret wrote:
Exactly right. When you've followed your team through thick and thin, from the depth of the old forth division to earning a place as a member of the elite 20 clubs in the country through nothing other than honest hard work and determination, the high's like recent seasons seem so much better.

But if you're a Blackburn Rovers fan who discovered football in 1995 then recent seasons must seem somewhat like an exotic form of torture... and long may it continue.

Enjoy your first round humbling and keep looking up!
How,s the sweaty hands down there ??
[quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Exactly right. When you've followed your team through thick and thin, from the depth of the old forth division to earning a place as a member of the elite 20 clubs in the country through nothing other than honest hard work and determination, the high's like recent seasons seem so much better. But if you're a Blackburn Rovers fan who discovered football in 1995 then recent seasons must seem somewhat like an exotic form of torture... and long may it continue. Enjoy your first round humbling and keep looking up![/p][/quote]How,s the sweaty hands down there ?? digitusjonfred
  • Score: 5

11:27am Tue 17 Jun 14

Super Claret says...

digitusjonfred wrote:
Super Claret wrote:
Exactly right. When you've followed your team through thick and thin, from the depth of the old forth division to earning a place as a member of the elite 20 clubs in the country through nothing other than honest hard work and determination, the high's like recent seasons seem so much better.

But if you're a Blackburn Rovers fan who discovered football in 1995 then recent seasons must seem somewhat like an exotic form of torture... and long may it continue.

Enjoy your first round humbling and keep looking up!
How,s the sweaty hands down there ??
Feels quite nice actually, but don't grip me so tightly, you filthy animal.
[quote][p][bold]digitusjonfred[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Exactly right. When you've followed your team through thick and thin, from the depth of the old forth division to earning a place as a member of the elite 20 clubs in the country through nothing other than honest hard work and determination, the high's like recent seasons seem so much better. But if you're a Blackburn Rovers fan who discovered football in 1995 then recent seasons must seem somewhat like an exotic form of torture... and long may it continue. Enjoy your first round humbling and keep looking up![/p][/quote]How,s the sweaty hands down there ??[/p][/quote]Feels quite nice actually, but don't grip me so tightly, you filthy animal. Super Claret
  • Score: -5

2:07pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Bazzer says...

34 years wrote:
Chuck Norris' Roundhouse wrote:
Bazzer wrote:
Super Claret wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Whatever, will never be as bad as Leighton James and his crew at Telford. That was a massacre.
I was there as a 13 year old - it was awful, it literally could have been five or six on a terrible pitch. And do you know what, it is remembering days like that and the 6-0 home tonking by Hereford that makes last season so satisfactory. When you have stared into the abyss the highs are much better.
That's a great post - I am a Rover but we are all football fans just supporting our home town club through thick and thin
Exactly right. I was at the Telford annihilation of Burnley and was also at the Shrewsbury hammering of Rovers in the early 70s. That made 1995 and 2002 so much the sweeter. I was also at the Carlisle match last year and that was a good game! The original poster is clearly a (contd. p.2).
[quote][p][bold]34 years[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chuck Norris' Roundhouse[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bazzer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Whatever, will never be as bad as Leighton James and his crew at Telford. That was a massacre.[/p][/quote]I was there as a 13 year old - it was awful, it literally could have been five or six on a terrible pitch. And do you know what, it is remembering days like that and the 6-0 home tonking by Hereford that makes last season so satisfactory. When you have stared into the abyss the highs are much better.[/p][/quote]That's a great post - I am a Rover but we are all football fans just supporting our home town club through thick and thin[/p][/quote]Exactly right. I was at the Telford annihilation of Burnley and was also at the Shrewsbury hammering of Rovers in the early 70s. That made 1995 and 2002 so much the sweeter. I was also at the Carlisle match last year and that was a good game! The original poster is clearly a (contd. p.2). Bazzer
  • Score: 4

3:08pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Stretch_22 says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt.
Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.
Talking to yourself again Rod? (Rovers Obsessed Dingle)
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt. Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.[/p][/quote]Talking to yourself again Rod? (Rovers Obsessed Dingle) Stretch_22
  • Score: 4

3:15pm Tue 17 Jun 14

jim 2012 says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt.
Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.
Burnley - 1.53 with willam hill to be relegated from the premier league
now that is embarrassing if you are a dingle
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt. Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.[/p][/quote]Burnley - 1.53 with willam hill to be relegated from the premier league now that is embarrassing if you are a dingle jim 2012
  • Score: 1

4:04pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Super Claret says...

jim 2012 wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt.
Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.
Burnley - 1.53 with willam hill to be relegated from the premier league
now that is embarrassing if you are a dingle
But not as embarrassing as a transfer ban if you're a no-dad.
[quote][p][bold]jim 2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt. Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.[/p][/quote]Burnley - 1.53 with willam hill to be relegated from the premier league now that is embarrassing if you are a dingle[/p][/quote]But not as embarrassing as a transfer ban if you're a no-dad. Super Claret
  • Score: -3

4:04pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Chuck Norris' Roundhouse says...

jim 2012 wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt.
Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.
Burnley - 1.53 with willam hill to be relegated from the premier league
now that is embarrassing if you are a dingle
The bookies are always correct aren't they jim? Burnley were 66/1 to get promoted to the Premier League and 11/2 to get relegated to League One this time last season.

But if the fact that Burnley are favourites to go down gives you wood, then congratulations
[quote][p][bold]jim 2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Now come on SC it's a big game for the no-dads it's going to be an extra few hundred quid into the coffers to go towards reducing their massive debt. Get through this game and maybe they can look forward to another money spinner against Burton Albion or even Cambridge United.[/p][/quote]Burnley - 1.53 with willam hill to be relegated from the premier league now that is embarrassing if you are a dingle[/p][/quote]The bookies are always correct aren't they jim? Burnley were 66/1 to get promoted to the Premier League and 11/2 to get relegated to League One this time last season. But if the fact that Burnley are favourites to go down gives you wood, then congratulations Chuck Norris' Roundhouse
  • Score: -3

5:07pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Super Claret says...

It appears to give jim2012 an erection when nothing else will.

Poor old jim, thrapping over bookies odds. What a sad man.
It appears to give jim2012 an erection when nothing else will. Poor old jim, thrapping over bookies odds. What a sad man. Super Claret
  • Score: -1

5:55pm Tue 17 Jun 14

dean555 says...

How come the first few posts are burnley fans? I went on their site once when parky had his stroke, apart from that, wouldn't waste my time and effort! Some people are soooo sad and pathetic!
How come the first few posts are burnley fans? I went on their site once when parky had his stroke, apart from that, wouldn't waste my time and effort! Some people are soooo sad and pathetic! dean555
  • Score: 7

3:04am Fri 20 Jun 14

Super Claret . says...

Super Claret wrote:
Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.
Or maybe im not!! I don't have sense let alone sense sense
[quote][p][bold]Super Claret[/bold] wrote: Oh dear, the first round of the Capital Cup... how very embarrassing. I'm sensing another Carlisle episode.[/p][/quote]Or maybe im not!! I don't have sense let alone sense sense Super Claret .
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree