Lancashire TelegraphWinger can be key for me, says Rovers ace Rhodes (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Winger can be key for me, says Rovers ace Rhodes

Lancashire Telegraph: Craig Conway Craig Conway

WINGER Craig Conway’s flying start to his Blackburn Rovers career has been hailed by manager Gary Bowyer and top scorer Jordan Rhodes.

Conway may have only been a Rovers player for six weeks but he is fast becoming an integral member of their starting line-up.

On the back of impressive individual performances in the defeats to Bolton and Bournemouth, the 28-year-old doubled his assists and goals tally for Rovers when he set up one and scored one in Saturday’s 4-2 win at Huddersfield Town.

MORE TOP STORIES:

Rhodes stole the headlines with a wonderfully taken hat-trick but he was quick to salute the vital role his fellow Scotland international played in a win which put Rovers’ season back on track. Bowyer also believes his £100,000 buy from Cardiff City on transfer deadline day deserves special praise.

“We knew when we were trying to bring him in here provide the ability of putting the ball in the back of the net and he showed that with his goal,” said Bowyer.

“The way he went about it did not surprise me at all because he does that in training every day.

“Don’t get me wrong there was a little bit of luck with the goalie (letting the ball slip through his hands) but the pace and the accuracy of the shot is something he works on every day, so it was not a fluke.

“I thought he was outstanding.”

Rhodes was the beneficiary of one of Conway’s pinpoint crosses when he nodded in his second goal of the game to put Rovers back in front.

Having played together for Scotland the prolific striker was well aware of the calibre of player Bowyer was signing.

“Craig is a terrific player,” said Rhodes. “When he gets down that wing you know there’s only one thought in his mind and that’s to cross that ball and, as a striker, you just have to make your move to try and get on the end of them.

“Some weeks you don’t, through no fault of your own, as you make your run to the front post and it goes to the back post, but luckily enough I managed to meet it with my head. I thought Craig had a terrific game.”

Rovers midfielder Jason Lowe – who was forced to leave the John Smith’s Stadium wearing a protective boot after picking up an injury in the win – is a doubt for the weekend clash with Leicester but Rudy Gestede has been given the all clear following a head injury.

Lowe is the sixth player Rovers player, after striker DJ Campbell and midfielders Corry Evans, Dickson Etuhu, Ben Marshall and Tom Cairney, to suffer an ankle injury this season.

Bowyer said: “I don’t know what we’ve done to deserve all these ankle injuries but we keep picking them up.”

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:11am Tue 18 Mar 14

owd nick says...

One of the things I really like about Conway irrespective of how much pressure he is up against he tends to look up before delivering the ball into the box.

He's a cracking signing and at just £100,000 especially when you consider how much we have squandered on players in the past, and I include pre Venky's in that comment.

If only we had a fit again Marshall to compliment him on the other wing.
One of the things I really like about Conway irrespective of how much pressure he is up against he tends to look up before delivering the ball into the box. He's a cracking signing and at just £100,000 especially when you consider how much we have squandered on players in the past, and I include pre Venky's in that comment. If only we had a fit again Marshall to compliment him on the other wing. owd nick
  • Score: 30

9:22am Tue 18 Mar 14

owd nick says...

On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on. owd nick
  • Score: 42

9:27am Tue 18 Mar 14

ChrisDeBerg says...

owd nick wrote:
One of the things I really like about Conway irrespective of how much pressure he is up against he tends to look up before delivering the ball into the box.

He's a cracking signing and at just £100,000 especially when you consider how much we have squandered on players in the past, and I include pre Venky's in that comment.

If only we had a fit again Marshall to compliment him on the other wing.
If we only had a fully fit side?!!
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: One of the things I really like about Conway irrespective of how much pressure he is up against he tends to look up before delivering the ball into the box. He's a cracking signing and at just £100,000 especially when you consider how much we have squandered on players in the past, and I include pre Venky's in that comment. If only we had a fit again Marshall to compliment him on the other wing.[/p][/quote]If we only had a fully fit side?!! ChrisDeBerg
  • Score: 20

9:35am Tue 18 Mar 14

J.C - Rishton says...

owd nick wrote:
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery).

Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation.

I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc).

They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on.[/p][/quote]Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery). Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation. I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc). They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT. J.C - Rishton
  • Score: -21

9:43am Tue 18 Mar 14

J.C - Rishton says...

owd nick wrote:
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
Where did you hear this BRAG rumour - or is it more of your pro Venky proaganda ?

Do you just want us to feel sorry for those "misunderstood, lovable "victims" in India" that love the club so much they look on BRFC as "their baby" (Mrs D's own words, not mine).

I've not heard anythng about any anti Venky demonstations being planned by BRAG or by anyone else so come on - where did you hear this rumour??.
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on.[/p][/quote]Where did you hear this BRAG rumour - or is it more of your pro Venky proaganda ? Do you just want us to feel sorry for those "misunderstood, lovable "victims" in India" that love the club so much they look on BRFC as "their baby" (Mrs D's own words, not mine). I've not heard anythng about any anti Venky demonstations being planned by BRAG or by anyone else so come on - where did you hear this rumour??. J.C - Rishton
  • Score: -16

10:02am Tue 18 Mar 14

BRFC75 says...

I cannot believe what I am reading in the Blackpool Gazette , and headlines in all the Scottish papers , Colin Hendry not only happy to swindle a couple of old pensioners out of their life savings , he takes them to Blackpool county court and gets another 100 pound of them in compensation because they confronted Hendry about their loan to him ,HENDRY A REAL PIECE OF WORK WE HAVE A YOUTH TEAM COACH
I cannot believe what I am reading in the Blackpool Gazette , and headlines in all the Scottish papers , Colin Hendry not only happy to swindle a couple of old pensioners out of their life savings , he takes them to Blackpool county court and gets another 100 pound of them in compensation because they confronted Hendry about their loan to him ,HENDRY A REAL PIECE OF WORK WE HAVE A YOUTH TEAM COACH BRFC75
  • Score: 7

10:06am Tue 18 Mar 14

surreyrover says...

J.C - Rishton wrote:
owd nick wrote:
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery).

Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation.

I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc).

They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.
I'm not excusing what Venkys have done to the Club. However, I would make the following points. I would argue that what they did was out of ignorance rather than malice or mis-management; blame their advisers for that. They continue to prop up a loss making venture; how many business owners would do that? Finally, who do you see as an alternative white knight to come to the rescue? There's a lot of bluster on here about Venkys but not many suggestions as to an alternative; Venkys do have money, they continue to invest and hopefully they will stick with us. If not we have a Club with a pretty low gate, not a great market appeal and not many opportunities for improving that profile or appeal. Or maybe we could rustle up a few million each month by shaking tins around Balckburn town centre?
[quote][p][bold]J.C - Rishton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on.[/p][/quote]Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery). Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation. I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc). They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.[/p][/quote]I'm not excusing what Venkys have done to the Club. However, I would make the following points. I would argue that what they did was out of ignorance rather than malice or mis-management; blame their advisers for that. They continue to prop up a loss making venture; how many business owners would do that? Finally, who do you see as an alternative white knight to come to the rescue? There's a lot of bluster on here about Venkys but not many suggestions as to an alternative; Venkys do have money, they continue to invest and hopefully they will stick with us. If not we have a Club with a pretty low gate, not a great market appeal and not many opportunities for improving that profile or appeal. Or maybe we could rustle up a few million each month by shaking tins around Balckburn town centre? surreyrover
  • Score: 39

10:40am Tue 18 Mar 14

French Rover says...

owd nick wrote:
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
Hi Nick,
I agree in principle with your point that it would do no good whatsoever to the club if there were further BRAG or any other demonstrations this season.

We seem to have `got away` without too much media ridicule from the derby game chicken appearence, and now that people are saying (and can see) that the club is imoving toowrads a more stable footing than it has had for a couple of years, then we do not want to take a step backwards to being once again the chicken `joke` club that we became in the media at that time?

I agree it was correct to protest at that time - even though I didn`t agree with the way the protests were carried out - but looking back they certainly achieved their purpose. The spotlight was firmly on our owners as the exposure of what Rovers fans were feeling at that time went global, and the world could see how we fet as Venkys almost totally destroyed our up to then well run and well respected club.

But even the most sceptical Rovers fan must see that there has been some well needed change in the way our owners run the club now. We cleared out most of the `debris` both on and off the field from the last two seasons of mis-management. We kept our best player through two transfer windows, we brought in several players who mostly have added quality and depth to our squad and despite some unlucky injuries and two terrible deby game losses, and some other up and down results (as predicted by GB) we are still within shouting distnace of the play-offs.

I never did and still dont expect us to make the play-offs - but to be in the top-half of the table and still see something to go for at this stage of the season is more than most Rovers fans could have hoped for this season.

The Venkys should never be allowed to forget the devastation they brought to our club, never allowed to forget the hurt they caused to a loyal Rovers fan base. They must do all tey can to restore the Rovers into a club that can give Rovers fans pride and respect in once again.

Yes we should keep a watchful eye on how our club is run - but now is not the time for more protests.
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on.[/p][/quote]Hi Nick, I agree in principle with your point that it would do no good whatsoever to the club if there were further BRAG or any other demonstrations this season. We seem to have `got away` without too much media ridicule from the derby game chicken appearence, and now that people are saying (and can see) that the club is imoving toowrads a more stable footing than it has had for a couple of years, then we do not want to take a step backwards to being once again the chicken `joke` club that we became in the media at that time? I agree it was correct to protest at that time - even though I didn`t agree with the way the protests were carried out - but looking back they certainly achieved their purpose. The spotlight was firmly on our owners as the exposure of what Rovers fans were feeling at that time went global, and the world could see how we fet as Venkys almost totally destroyed our up to then well run and well respected club. But even the most sceptical Rovers fan must see that there has been some well needed change in the way our owners run the club now. We cleared out most of the `debris` both on and off the field from the last two seasons of mis-management. We kept our best player through two transfer windows, we brought in several players who mostly have added quality and depth to our squad and despite some unlucky injuries and two terrible deby game losses, and some other up and down results (as predicted by GB) we are still within shouting distnace of the play-offs. I never did and still dont expect us to make the play-offs - but to be in the top-half of the table and still see something to go for at this stage of the season is more than most Rovers fans could have hoped for this season. The Venkys should never be allowed to forget the devastation they brought to our club, never allowed to forget the hurt they caused to a loyal Rovers fan base. They must do all tey can to restore the Rovers into a club that can give Rovers fans pride and respect in once again. Yes we should keep a watchful eye on how our club is run - but now is not the time for more protests. French Rover
  • Score: 25

10:43am Tue 18 Mar 14

razwoods78 says...

As the article is about Conway, I'll stick to the headline. He has been a great signing for the fee and next season, if we could keep a fron 6 of Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Marshall and Conway (with Rochina poss returning???) then who knows. There will not be much better going forward than those. Ship Lowe to right back, manage to keep the majority of the current squad (minus Marrow, Morris, Williamson and a couple of dodgy other signings) and it is possiblewe have a good shout for a really good season. If, and only if, we do this then It will be then when I personally will judge Bowyer. As of yet, he has had too much to deal with in a season of transition to be fully praised/criticised for his efforts.
As the article is about Conway, I'll stick to the headline. He has been a great signing for the fee and next season, if we could keep a fron 6 of Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Marshall and Conway (with Rochina poss returning???) then who knows. There will not be much better going forward than those. Ship Lowe to right back, manage to keep the majority of the current squad (minus Marrow, Morris, Williamson and a couple of dodgy other signings) and it is possiblewe have a good shout for a really good season. If, and only if, we do this then It will be then when I personally will judge Bowyer. As of yet, he has had too much to deal with in a season of transition to be fully praised/criticised for his efforts. razwoods78
  • Score: 23

11:11am Tue 18 Mar 14

adcr says...

razwoods78 wrote:
As the article is about Conway, I'll stick to the headline. He has been a great signing for the fee and next season, if we could keep a fron 6 of Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Marshall and Conway (with Rochina poss returning???) then who knows. There will not be much better going forward than those. Ship Lowe to right back, manage to keep the majority of the current squad (minus Marrow, Morris, Williamson and a couple of dodgy other signings) and it is possiblewe have a good shout for a really good season. If, and only if, we do this then It will be then when I personally will judge Bowyer. As of yet, he has had too much to deal with in a season of transition to be fully praised/criticised for his efforts.
We are much better than this time last year, but I'm not convinced that Gestede and Rhodes can play together yet. I think Gestede is okay but I feel we really need somebody a little more prolific to partner Rhodes next season, maybe use Gestede as an impact sub.

I would also think we need to see another player in the Cairney mould brought in over the summer. Dunn's career is coming to and end and he is the only real replacement we have for Cairney. Cairney's injury and our recent lack of form is no coincedence.

We also need another centre-half and at least one and maybe two fullbacks.

If we get these appointments right we will be right up there next season. It might sound expensive signing four or five players, but I think if we can move another eight or nine players on over the summer, it should be do-able.

I just hope that Bowyer is allowed to make the necessary signings. The FFP rules look like they may be tweaked so that may not be a concern, at least for the moment anyway. So no excuses allowed.
[quote][p][bold]razwoods78[/bold] wrote: As the article is about Conway, I'll stick to the headline. He has been a great signing for the fee and next season, if we could keep a fron 6 of Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Marshall and Conway (with Rochina poss returning???) then who knows. There will not be much better going forward than those. Ship Lowe to right back, manage to keep the majority of the current squad (minus Marrow, Morris, Williamson and a couple of dodgy other signings) and it is possiblewe have a good shout for a really good season. If, and only if, we do this then It will be then when I personally will judge Bowyer. As of yet, he has had too much to deal with in a season of transition to be fully praised/criticised for his efforts.[/p][/quote]We are much better than this time last year, but I'm not convinced that Gestede and Rhodes can play together yet. I think Gestede is okay but I feel we really need somebody a little more prolific to partner Rhodes next season, maybe use Gestede as an impact sub. I would also think we need to see another player in the Cairney mould brought in over the summer. Dunn's career is coming to and end and he is the only real replacement we have for Cairney. Cairney's injury and our recent lack of form is no coincedence. We also need another centre-half and at least one and maybe two fullbacks. If we get these appointments right we will be right up there next season. It might sound expensive signing four or five players, but I think if we can move another eight or nine players on over the summer, it should be do-able. I just hope that Bowyer is allowed to make the necessary signings. The FFP rules look like they may be tweaked so that may not be a concern, at least for the moment anyway. So no excuses allowed. adcr
  • Score: 7

11:14am Tue 18 Mar 14

realisticrover says...

..and yet the highlight of the season so far, for me, is how Josh King absolutely terrorized the Barnsley defence in the home game and then went on to be a real threat against Boro, Wednesday and Man City - but he's been out injured ever since!
..and yet the highlight of the season so far, for me, is how Josh King absolutely terrorized the Barnsley defence in the home game and then went on to be a real threat against Boro, Wednesday and Man City - but he's been out injured ever since! realisticrover
  • Score: 5

11:21am Tue 18 Mar 14

'premier champions' neverinmylifetime says...

i would never wish an injury on anyone but if Jason Lowe is out for a while then hopefully we will now have the opportunity of playing Evans and hopefully Cairney in the centre of midfield. While you cannot fault Jason Lowe's effort while he is in this position we will be a top ten championship team- and that all. He does not have the qualities required in this area for a promotion chasing team. He cannot pick a pass; does not tackle; cannot dribble or run with the ball, has very little technical skill and does not score goals. He does not accept any responsibility and constantly plays a backward pass, often from where the ball has come from in the first place, putting that player under pressure. We have been crying out for a strong right back all season as our two young players have really struggled and been a weak link. This should be Jason Lowe's position when he returns.
i would never wish an injury on anyone but if Jason Lowe is out for a while then hopefully we will now have the opportunity of playing Evans and hopefully Cairney in the centre of midfield. While you cannot fault Jason Lowe's effort while he is in this position we will be a top ten championship team- and that all. He does not have the qualities required in this area for a promotion chasing team. He cannot pick a pass; does not tackle; cannot dribble or run with the ball, has very little technical skill and does not score goals. He does not accept any responsibility and constantly plays a backward pass, often from where the ball has come from in the first place, putting that player under pressure. We have been crying out for a strong right back all season as our two young players have really struggled and been a weak link. This should be Jason Lowe's position when he returns. 'premier champions' neverinmylifetime
  • Score: 5

11:26am Tue 18 Mar 14

Is Eckersley playing? says...

J.C - Rishton wrote:
owd nick wrote:
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery).

Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation.

I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc).

They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.
Well said.
[quote][p][bold]J.C - Rishton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on.[/p][/quote]Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery). Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation. I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc). They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.[/p][/quote]Well said. Is Eckersley playing?
  • Score: -5

11:28am Tue 18 Mar 14

A Darener says...

I have never seen any of the new players "live" but I follow the reports from all sources. It would appear that GB has started to build a team that could make a reasonable attempt at the playoffs next season. Providing he can keep the squad together, with a few strategic additions in the summer. This will depend on the Venky's willingness to continue their support of GB and the club. It looks like we will be stuck with them for the foreseeable future so I for one will not be seeing them play next season. Unless they apologise to the fans for their previous misdemeanours I will not be there. It is highly unlikely they will so I can only hope that the club makes more progress and that they get back to where they can compete yet again with the best. I know I have probably cut of my nose to spite my face but so be it.
I will continue to comment as and when I see fit on all aspects of the club. And wish the fans that still attend all the best in the future, despite the name calling I get from certain contributors to these pages.

Leicester on Saturday will be an interesting indication of just how well they have recovered from the derby disappointment on their last home outing. Win that game and as well as having positive reactions from the Rovers fans even Dingle fans will be on our side for once.

GET INTO EM!
I have never seen any of the new players "live" but I follow the reports from all sources. It would appear that GB has started to build a team that could make a reasonable attempt at the playoffs next season. Providing he can keep the squad together, with a few strategic additions in the summer. This will depend on the Venky's willingness to continue their support of GB and the club. It looks like we will be stuck with them for the foreseeable future so I for one will not be seeing them play next season. Unless they apologise to the fans for their previous misdemeanours I will not be there. It is highly unlikely they will so I can only hope that the club makes more progress and that they get back to where they can compete yet again with the best. I know I have probably cut of my nose to spite my face but so be it. I will continue to comment as and when I see fit on all aspects of the club. And wish the fans that still attend all the best in the future, despite the name calling I get from certain contributors to these pages. Leicester on Saturday will be an interesting indication of just how well they have recovered from the derby disappointment on their last home outing. Win that game and as well as having positive reactions from the Rovers fans even Dingle fans will be on our side for once. GET INTO EM! A Darener
  • Score: 2

11:48am Tue 18 Mar 14

Is Eckersley playing? says...

A Darener wrote:
I have never seen any of the new players "live" but I follow the reports from all sources. It would appear that GB has started to build a team that could make a reasonable attempt at the playoffs next season. Providing he can keep the squad together, with a few strategic additions in the summer. This will depend on the Venky's willingness to continue their support of GB and the club. It looks like we will be stuck with them for the foreseeable future so I for one will not be seeing them play next season. Unless they apologise to the fans for their previous misdemeanours I will not be there. It is highly unlikely they will so I can only hope that the club makes more progress and that they get back to where they can compete yet again with the best. I know I have probably cut of my nose to spite my face but so be it.
I will continue to comment as and when I see fit on all aspects of the club. And wish the fans that still attend all the best in the future, despite the name calling I get from certain contributors to these pages.

Leicester on Saturday will be an interesting indication of just how well they have recovered from the derby disappointment on their last home outing. Win that game and as well as having positive reactions from the Rovers fans even Dingle fans will be on our side for once.

GET INTO EM!
Well said.
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: I have never seen any of the new players "live" but I follow the reports from all sources. It would appear that GB has started to build a team that could make a reasonable attempt at the playoffs next season. Providing he can keep the squad together, with a few strategic additions in the summer. This will depend on the Venky's willingness to continue their support of GB and the club. It looks like we will be stuck with them for the foreseeable future so I for one will not be seeing them play next season. Unless they apologise to the fans for their previous misdemeanours I will not be there. It is highly unlikely they will so I can only hope that the club makes more progress and that they get back to where they can compete yet again with the best. I know I have probably cut of my nose to spite my face but so be it. I will continue to comment as and when I see fit on all aspects of the club. And wish the fans that still attend all the best in the future, despite the name calling I get from certain contributors to these pages. Leicester on Saturday will be an interesting indication of just how well they have recovered from the derby disappointment on their last home outing. Win that game and as well as having positive reactions from the Rovers fans even Dingle fans will be on our side for once. GET INTO EM![/p][/quote]Well said. Is Eckersley playing?
  • Score: 1

12:10pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Harwoodstblue says...

A Darener wrote:
I have never seen any of the new players "live" but I follow the reports from all sources. It would appear that GB has started to build a team that could make a reasonable attempt at the playoffs next season. Providing he can keep the squad together, with a few strategic additions in the summer. This will depend on the Venky's willingness to continue their support of GB and the club. It looks like we will be stuck with them for the foreseeable future so I for one will not be seeing them play next season. Unless they apologise to the fans for their previous misdemeanours I will not be there. It is highly unlikely they will so I can only hope that the club makes more progress and that they get back to where they can compete yet again with the best. I know I have probably cut of my nose to spite my face but so be it.
I will continue to comment as and when I see fit on all aspects of the club. And wish the fans that still attend all the best in the future, despite the name calling I get from certain contributors to these pages.

Leicester on Saturday will be an interesting indication of just how well they have recovered from the derby disappointment on their last home outing. Win that game and as well as having positive reactions from the Rovers fans even Dingle fans will be on our side for once.

GET INTO EM!
" This will depend on the Venky's willingness to continue their support of GB and the club."....

....and whether they will be prepared to fund the sort of players that we had when they arrived. Personally I can't see it but hopefully I'm wrong.
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: I have never seen any of the new players "live" but I follow the reports from all sources. It would appear that GB has started to build a team that could make a reasonable attempt at the playoffs next season. Providing he can keep the squad together, with a few strategic additions in the summer. This will depend on the Venky's willingness to continue their support of GB and the club. It looks like we will be stuck with them for the foreseeable future so I for one will not be seeing them play next season. Unless they apologise to the fans for their previous misdemeanours I will not be there. It is highly unlikely they will so I can only hope that the club makes more progress and that they get back to where they can compete yet again with the best. I know I have probably cut of my nose to spite my face but so be it. I will continue to comment as and when I see fit on all aspects of the club. And wish the fans that still attend all the best in the future, despite the name calling I get from certain contributors to these pages. Leicester on Saturday will be an interesting indication of just how well they have recovered from the derby disappointment on their last home outing. Win that game and as well as having positive reactions from the Rovers fans even Dingle fans will be on our side for once. GET INTO EM![/p][/quote]" This will depend on the Venky's willingness to continue their support of GB and the club.".... ....and whether they will be prepared to fund the sort of players that we had when they arrived. Personally I can't see it but hopefully I'm wrong. Harwoodstblue
  • Score: 2

12:44pm Tue 18 Mar 14

capri1 says...

I will make this short and sweet, Venky's are the second worst thing to ever happened to our beloved club the first is mr Anderson&Keane the true destroyers IMHO
I will make this short and sweet, Venky's are the second worst thing to ever happened to our beloved club the first is mr Anderson&Keane the true destroyers IMHO capri1
  • Score: 17

12:45pm Tue 18 Mar 14

bring back the good old days says...

All good, reasoned valid points re; Venkys, on either side of the argument.
The only one all seem to agree on is: BRAG: no more nonsense please.
The point has been made, and very few (and those having biased agendas) now see the support in the poor light they did.
Yes Venkys are still here, although we would wish otherwise. But, no realistic alternative has emerged, or appears about to.
However, they are keeping their noses out and GB has done a fair job of tidying up the mess that he inherited.
I still harbour doubts over his ability to take us to that next level, but the crop of players he is gathering do have potential PROVIDING he adopts far more offensive approach. Will this happen next year with a injury free squad? I am willing to give him that chance.

Any change to the owners/manager at this point would be a big gamble.
Yes, we could get lucky and pick up a guy akin to Sean Dykes, but then again???
Same goes for owners, even if there is a group out there wanting to 'have a bash'. But just consider the 'pay off' i.e. debt owing. What 'level' of group would be needed to shoulder that debt AND move us onto the next level?

For me its a case of; embrace 'stability' now, let GB get on with the job, await FFP and evaluate the impact, ride out the initial storm, and then re-assess next Christmas.
Oh yes and just try to put those people in Pune to the back of your minds.
All good, reasoned valid points re; Venkys, on either side of the argument. The only one all seem to agree on is: BRAG: no more nonsense please. The point has been made, and very few (and those having biased agendas) now see the support in the poor light they did. Yes Venkys are still here, although we would wish otherwise. But, no realistic alternative has emerged, or appears about to. However, they are keeping their noses out and GB has done a fair job of tidying up the mess that he inherited. I still harbour doubts over his ability to take us to that next level, but the crop of players he is gathering do have potential PROVIDING he adopts far more offensive approach. Will this happen next year with a injury free squad? I am willing to give him that chance. Any change to the owners/manager at this point would be a big gamble. Yes, we could get lucky and pick up a guy akin to Sean Dykes, but then again??? Same goes for owners, even if there is a group out there wanting to 'have a bash'. But just consider the 'pay off' i.e. debt owing. What 'level' of group would be needed to shoulder that debt AND move us onto the next level? For me its a case of; embrace 'stability' now, let GB get on with the job, await FFP and evaluate the impact, ride out the initial storm, and then re-assess next Christmas. Oh yes and just try to put those people in Pune to the back of your minds. bring back the good old days
  • Score: 4

12:46pm Tue 18 Mar 14

A Darener says...

capri1 wrote:
I will make this short and sweet, Venky's are the second worst thing to ever happened to our beloved club the first is mr Anderson&Keane the true destroyers IMHO
Without the Venky's we wouldn't have had Anderson and Kean in the first place. Kean would have stayed as a cone man.
[quote][p][bold]capri1[/bold] wrote: I will make this short and sweet, Venky's are the second worst thing to ever happened to our beloved club the first is mr Anderson&Keane the true destroyers IMHO[/p][/quote]Without the Venky's we wouldn't have had Anderson and Kean in the first place. Kean would have stayed as a cone man. A Darener
  • Score: 4

1:08pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Wild Rover says...

surreyrover wrote:
J.C - Rishton wrote:
owd nick wrote:
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery).

Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation.

I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc).

They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.
I'm not excusing what Venkys have done to the Club. However, I would make the following points. I would argue that what they did was out of ignorance rather than malice or mis-management; blame their advisers for that. They continue to prop up a loss making venture; how many business owners would do that? Finally, who do you see as an alternative white knight to come to the rescue? There's a lot of bluster on here about Venkys but not many suggestions as to an alternative; Venkys do have money, they continue to invest and hopefully they will stick with us. If not we have a Club with a pretty low gate, not a great market appeal and not many opportunities for improving that profile or appeal. Or maybe we could rustle up a few million each month by shaking tins around Balckburn town centre?
Well said to you sir , and Nick & Frenchy.
Some " fans " on these threads cannot grasp the concept of pragmatism . Now then Nuttall St there's a nice big word for you, do you know what it means?
JC troll thinks that pragmatic fans like me are Venky luvvers, something that does not exist imo.
Support means just that, rough with smooth, never say die.
Oh, and Conway? Great signing...end of
[quote][p][bold]surreyrover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.C - Rishton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on.[/p][/quote]Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery). Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation. I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc). They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.[/p][/quote]I'm not excusing what Venkys have done to the Club. However, I would make the following points. I would argue that what they did was out of ignorance rather than malice or mis-management; blame their advisers for that. They continue to prop up a loss making venture; how many business owners would do that? Finally, who do you see as an alternative white knight to come to the rescue? There's a lot of bluster on here about Venkys but not many suggestions as to an alternative; Venkys do have money, they continue to invest and hopefully they will stick with us. If not we have a Club with a pretty low gate, not a great market appeal and not many opportunities for improving that profile or appeal. Or maybe we could rustle up a few million each month by shaking tins around Balckburn town centre?[/p][/quote]Well said to you sir , and Nick & Frenchy. Some " fans " on these threads cannot grasp the concept of pragmatism . Now then Nuttall St there's a nice big word for you, do you know what it means? JC troll thinks that pragmatic fans like me are Venky luvvers, something that does not exist imo. Support means just that, rough with smooth, never say die. Oh, and Conway? Great signing...end of Wild Rover
  • Score: 9

1:09pm Tue 18 Mar 14

mushypeaman says...

A Darener wrote:
capri1 wrote:
I will make this short and sweet, Venky's are the second worst thing to ever happened to our beloved club the first is mr Anderson&Keane the true destroyers IMHO
Without the Venky's we wouldn't have had Anderson and Kean in the first place. Kean would have stayed as a cone man.
Don't you mean CON man - he did pretend to be a football manager.
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]capri1[/bold] wrote: I will make this short and sweet, Venky's are the second worst thing to ever happened to our beloved club the first is mr Anderson&Keane the true destroyers IMHO[/p][/quote]Without the Venky's we wouldn't have had Anderson and Kean in the first place. Kean would have stayed as a cone man.[/p][/quote]Don't you mean CON man - he did pretend to be a football manager. mushypeaman
  • Score: 7

1:09pm Tue 18 Mar 14

owd nick says...

J.C - Rishton wrote:
owd nick wrote:
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery).

Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation.

I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc).

They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.
A rarely have a go at other fans because everyone is entitled to an opinion, but in your case I will make an exception.

Defend them every day? LOL.

They are Victims? LOL

You are talking out of your arse again.
[quote][p][bold]J.C - Rishton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on.[/p][/quote]Says the biggest Venky lover this club has ever known (apart from Paul Agnew, but at least he was paid for his trechery). Whilst I agree that we don't need further unrest at this moment - Most of us, unlike you, will NEVER forgive nor forget what those lieing cowards in India have done to this club, its standing and its reputation. I truely do not understand how you can claim to love this club and also defend them every day (and please do not reply saying you don't because you do, I'm sick of reading you're rubbish telling us how much they're now doing for us and how we just don't understand them and that they're just "victims etc). They are easily the singular worst thing that has ever happened to our great club in its 138 year history - although I've never seen you acknowledge this FACT.[/p][/quote]A rarely have a go at other fans because everyone is entitled to an opinion, but in your case I will make an exception. Defend them every day? LOL. They are Victims? LOL You are talking out of your arse again. owd nick
  • Score: -3

1:18pm Tue 18 Mar 14

owd nick says...

J.C - Rishton wrote:
owd nick wrote:
On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest.

If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore.

Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one.

Apart from Burnley fans.

Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again?

I think not, time to move on.
Where did you hear this BRAG rumour - or is it more of your pro Venky proaganda ?

Do you just want us to feel sorry for those "misunderstood, lovable "victims" in India" that love the club so much they look on BRFC as "their baby" (Mrs D's own words, not mine).

I've not heard anythng about any anti Venky demonstations being planned by BRAG or by anyone else so come on - where did you hear this rumour??.
Well, I picked something up on Twitter the other day, can't verify it sadly but luckily I have just read this mornings LT, which as luck would have it has an article By Dan Clough on the very same subject (page 48).

As his sources are probably much better than mine, I will leave you in his very capable hands.
[quote][p][bold]J.C - Rishton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: On a more negative note I am picking up rumours that BRAG may be dusting off their "We hate Venky's" banners and the rest. If that's the case I despair because we really don't need that particular brand of negativity around the club anymore. Come on guy's, you can't change what has happened in the past by demonstrating and hurling abuse again, but you can knock what is still a relatively fragile recovery back, it may make you feel good personally but in reality it will help no-one. Apart from Burnley fans. Do we really need such hatred pouring down from the stands again? I think not, time to move on.[/p][/quote]Where did you hear this BRAG rumour - or is it more of your pro Venky proaganda ? Do you just want us to feel sorry for those "misunderstood, lovable "victims" in India" that love the club so much they look on BRFC as "their baby" (Mrs D's own words, not mine). I've not heard anythng about any anti Venky demonstations being planned by BRAG or by anyone else so come on - where did you hear this rumour??.[/p][/quote]Well, I picked something up on Twitter the other day, can't verify it sadly but luckily I have just read this mornings LT, which as luck would have it has an article By Dan Clough on the very same subject (page 48). As his sources are probably much better than mine, I will leave you in his very capable hands. owd nick
  • Score: -1

1:19pm Tue 18 Mar 14

owd nick says...

ChrisDeBerg wrote:
owd nick wrote:
One of the things I really like about Conway irrespective of how much pressure he is up against he tends to look up before delivering the ball into the box.

He's a cracking signing and at just £100,000 especially when you consider how much we have squandered on players in the past, and I include pre Venky's in that comment.

If only we had a fit again Marshall to compliment him on the other wing.
If we only had a fully fit side?!!
LOL

One day that will happen!
[quote][p][bold]ChrisDeBerg[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: One of the things I really like about Conway irrespective of how much pressure he is up against he tends to look up before delivering the ball into the box. He's a cracking signing and at just £100,000 especially when you consider how much we have squandered on players in the past, and I include pre Venky's in that comment. If only we had a fit again Marshall to compliment him on the other wing.[/p][/quote]If we only had a fully fit side?!![/p][/quote]LOL One day that will happen! owd nick
  • Score: -1

1:34pm Tue 18 Mar 14

A Rover 45 years and over says...

If we are having a higher incidence of ankle injuries relative to other clubs if that is the case should we not be taking a close look at the footware being used
If we are having a higher incidence of ankle injuries relative to other clubs if that is the case should we not be taking a close look at the footware being used A Rover 45 years and over
  • Score: 1

1:46pm Tue 18 Mar 14

owd nick says...

bring back the good old days wrote:
All good, reasoned valid points re; Venkys, on either side of the argument.
The only one all seem to agree on is: BRAG: no more nonsense please.
The point has been made, and very few (and those having biased agendas) now see the support in the poor light they did.
Yes Venkys are still here, although we would wish otherwise. But, no realistic alternative has emerged, or appears about to.
However, they are keeping their noses out and GB has done a fair job of tidying up the mess that he inherited.
I still harbour doubts over his ability to take us to that next level, but the crop of players he is gathering do have potential PROVIDING he adopts far more offensive approach. Will this happen next year with a injury free squad? I am willing to give him that chance.

Any change to the owners/manager at this point would be a big gamble.
Yes, we could get lucky and pick up a guy akin to Sean Dykes, but then again???
Same goes for owners, even if there is a group out there wanting to 'have a bash'. But just consider the 'pay off' i.e. debt owing. What 'level' of group would be needed to shoulder that debt AND move us onto the next level?

For me its a case of; embrace 'stability' now, let GB get on with the job, await FFP and evaluate the impact, ride out the initial storm, and then re-assess next Christmas.
Oh yes and just try to put those people in Pune to the back of your minds.
Excellent post, personally the only time I think about Venky's now is when someone mentions them on here, or I read something somewhere else.

The only thing that concerns me about them right now is how they are going to deal with the debt they have created while staying within the FFP rules, because having read FFP from cover to cover I suspect it will force their hand.

I doubt the FFP "reevaluation" will will have any significant affect so we need to continue to plan for the eventuality that we will face a transfer embargo at some point.

Everyone appears to be worried about a transfer ban but I think Bowyer is preparing for that right now, he is bringing in players, some that look like they don't fit in, then loaning them out so they are getting match experience week in week out.

May or may not work out, and let's not forget we do have some decent youngster coming through the ranks and being loaned out as well.

Perhaps the plan is that we will have enough players on our books so that an embargo won't have all that great an effect and we can ride it out.
[quote][p][bold]bring back the good old days[/bold] wrote: All good, reasoned valid points re; Venkys, on either side of the argument. The only one all seem to agree on is: BRAG: no more nonsense please. The point has been made, and very few (and those having biased agendas) now see the support in the poor light they did. Yes Venkys are still here, although we would wish otherwise. But, no realistic alternative has emerged, or appears about to. However, they are keeping their noses out and GB has done a fair job of tidying up the mess that he inherited. I still harbour doubts over his ability to take us to that next level, but the crop of players he is gathering do have potential PROVIDING he adopts far more offensive approach. Will this happen next year with a injury free squad? I am willing to give him that chance. Any change to the owners/manager at this point would be a big gamble. Yes, we could get lucky and pick up a guy akin to Sean Dykes, but then again??? Same goes for owners, even if there is a group out there wanting to 'have a bash'. But just consider the 'pay off' i.e. debt owing. What 'level' of group would be needed to shoulder that debt AND move us onto the next level? For me its a case of; embrace 'stability' now, let GB get on with the job, await FFP and evaluate the impact, ride out the initial storm, and then re-assess next Christmas. Oh yes and just try to put those people in Pune to the back of your minds.[/p][/quote]Excellent post, personally the only time I think about Venky's now is when someone mentions them on here, or I read something somewhere else. The only thing that concerns me about them right now is how they are going to deal with the debt they have created while staying within the FFP rules, because having read FFP from cover to cover I suspect it will force their hand. I doubt the FFP "reevaluation" will will have any significant affect so we need to continue to plan for the eventuality that we will face a transfer embargo at some point. Everyone appears to be worried about a transfer ban but I think Bowyer is preparing for that right now, he is bringing in players, some that look like they don't fit in, then loaning them out so they are getting match experience week in week out. May or may not work out, and let's not forget we do have some decent youngster coming through the ranks and being loaned out as well. Perhaps the plan is that we will have enough players on our books so that an embargo won't have all that great an effect and we can ride it out. owd nick
  • Score: 0

1:59pm Tue 18 Mar 14

johnny rover says...

BRFC75 wrote:
I cannot believe what I am reading in the Blackpool Gazette , and headlines in all the Scottish papers , Colin Hendry not only happy to swindle a couple of old pensioners out of their life savings , he takes them to Blackpool county court and gets another 100 pound of them in compensation because they confronted Hendry about their loan to him ,HENDRY A REAL PIECE OF WORK WE HAVE A YOUTH TEAM COACH
Just to save anyone else looking this up, the Scottish Daily Record has fully reported this story and it is not really as BRFC75 suggests. Please do not think I support Colin Hendry in any way - what he did regarding the unpaid loan was unforgivable. Apparently he and his daughter were assaulted (not merely "confronted") in a restaurant by Mr McFarlane and his wife. Hendry's daughter was floored by a punch to the face. Hendry did not ask for compensation. http://www.dailyreco
rd.co.uk/news/scotti
sh-news/former-scotl
and-star-colin-hendr
y-3254681
[quote][p][bold]BRFC75[/bold] wrote: I cannot believe what I am reading in the Blackpool Gazette , and headlines in all the Scottish papers , Colin Hendry not only happy to swindle a couple of old pensioners out of their life savings , he takes them to Blackpool county court and gets another 100 pound of them in compensation because they confronted Hendry about their loan to him ,HENDRY A REAL PIECE OF WORK WE HAVE A YOUTH TEAM COACH[/p][/quote]Just to save anyone else looking this up, the Scottish Daily Record has fully reported this story and it is not really as BRFC75 suggests. Please do not think I support Colin Hendry in any way - what he did regarding the unpaid loan was unforgivable. Apparently he and his daughter were assaulted (not merely "confronted") in a restaurant by Mr McFarlane and his wife. Hendry's daughter was floored by a punch to the face. Hendry did not ask for compensation. http://www.dailyreco rd.co.uk/news/scotti sh-news/former-scotl and-star-colin-hendr y-3254681 johnny rover
  • Score: 1

3:22pm Tue 18 Mar 14

owd nick says...

johnny rover wrote:
BRFC75 wrote:
I cannot believe what I am reading in the Blackpool Gazette , and headlines in all the Scottish papers , Colin Hendry not only happy to swindle a couple of old pensioners out of their life savings , he takes them to Blackpool county court and gets another 100 pound of them in compensation because they confronted Hendry about their loan to him ,HENDRY A REAL PIECE OF WORK WE HAVE A YOUTH TEAM COACH
Just to save anyone else looking this up, the Scottish Daily Record has fully reported this story and it is not really as BRFC75 suggests. Please do not think I support Colin Hendry in any way - what he did regarding the unpaid loan was unforgivable. Apparently he and his daughter were assaulted (not merely "confronted") in a restaurant by Mr McFarlane and his wife. Hendry's daughter was floored by a punch to the face. Hendry did not ask for compensation. http://www.dailyreco

rd.co.uk/news/scotti

sh-news/former-scotl

and-star-colin-hendr

y-3254681
That's in the LT today as well.

To be honest I think Hendry got off lightly considering what he did, I don't know about the rest of you but I think £80K is an awful lot of money to lose to a bad debt, especially to a so called friend you were helping out in a time of need.

To me Hendry was one of the all time Rovers greats, his never say die attitude on the pitch was exemplary, what a shame it appears the same attitude doesn't apply to his dealings off the pitch.
[quote][p][bold]johnny rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BRFC75[/bold] wrote: I cannot believe what I am reading in the Blackpool Gazette , and headlines in all the Scottish papers , Colin Hendry not only happy to swindle a couple of old pensioners out of their life savings , he takes them to Blackpool county court and gets another 100 pound of them in compensation because they confronted Hendry about their loan to him ,HENDRY A REAL PIECE OF WORK WE HAVE A YOUTH TEAM COACH[/p][/quote]Just to save anyone else looking this up, the Scottish Daily Record has fully reported this story and it is not really as BRFC75 suggests. Please do not think I support Colin Hendry in any way - what he did regarding the unpaid loan was unforgivable. Apparently he and his daughter were assaulted (not merely "confronted") in a restaurant by Mr McFarlane and his wife. Hendry's daughter was floored by a punch to the face. Hendry did not ask for compensation. http://www.dailyreco rd.co.uk/news/scotti sh-news/former-scotl and-star-colin-hendr y-3254681[/p][/quote]That's in the LT today as well. To be honest I think Hendry got off lightly considering what he did, I don't know about the rest of you but I think £80K is an awful lot of money to lose to a bad debt, especially to a so called friend you were helping out in a time of need. To me Hendry was one of the all time Rovers greats, his never say die attitude on the pitch was exemplary, what a shame it appears the same attitude doesn't apply to his dealings off the pitch. owd nick
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Tue 18 Mar 14

bring back the good old days says...

The thing is, you have to consider just what sort of 'friendship' would have to exist before laying out that sort of money 'unsecured' ???
This is what really makes it unpalatable for me personally.
So for them to attack him, or his, I can fully understand. 80k would cause me some untold 'anxiety'!

This of course on the basis that all facts are known.

As said: great BRFC servant and such a shame to see. But in this situation his relationship with us (the support) really should not be clouding the issue.
The thing is, you have to consider just what sort of 'friendship' would have to exist before laying out that sort of money 'unsecured' ??? This is what really makes it unpalatable for me personally. So for them to attack him, or his, I can fully understand. 80k would cause me some untold 'anxiety'! This of course on the basis that all facts are known. As said: great BRFC servant and such a shame to see. But in this situation his relationship with us (the support) really should not be clouding the issue. bring back the good old days
  • Score: -1

5:23pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Captain Dreckley says...

A good comment from Rhodes as he has lacked service this season and we have duly suffered. The play-offs are a way off now but the team is coming together for a real go next season. This season has been transition rather than being cast into the wilderness and the squad is looking more balanced but we seriously need to strengthen the central defence but midfield and up front it's really coming together. Bowyer is assembling a decent squad of players but if he can get the best out of them needs top be seen as we have dropped far too many points this season because of bad tactics. GB is improving and learning but he needs support in his development and really needs a mentor in the form of an experienced manager. The Venkys thing that is sidetracking people from the football business is getting tiresome as no matter how much people moan and whinge on here they cannot change it, we are where we are and that is a hell of a lot better place than this time last year when relegation was looking a distinct possibility. Real acid test on Saturday v Leicester.
A good comment from Rhodes as he has lacked service this season and we have duly suffered. The play-offs are a way off now but the team is coming together for a real go next season. This season has been transition rather than being cast into the wilderness and the squad is looking more balanced but we seriously need to strengthen the central defence but midfield and up front it's really coming together. Bowyer is assembling a decent squad of players but if he can get the best out of them needs top be seen as we have dropped far too many points this season because of bad tactics. GB is improving and learning but he needs support in his development and really needs a mentor in the form of an experienced manager. The Venkys thing that is sidetracking people from the football business is getting tiresome as no matter how much people moan and whinge on here they cannot change it, we are where we are and that is a hell of a lot better place than this time last year when relegation was looking a distinct possibility. Real acid test on Saturday v Leicester. Captain Dreckley
  • Score: 1

10:20am Wed 19 Mar 14

CJB official says...

adcr wrote:
razwoods78 wrote:
As the article is about Conway, I'll stick to the headline. He has been a great signing for the fee and next season, if we could keep a fron 6 of Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Marshall and Conway (with Rochina poss returning???) then who knows. There will not be much better going forward than those. Ship Lowe to right back, manage to keep the majority of the current squad (minus Marrow, Morris, Williamson and a couple of dodgy other signings) and it is possiblewe have a good shout for a really good season. If, and only if, we do this then It will be then when I personally will judge Bowyer. As of yet, he has had too much to deal with in a season of transition to be fully praised/criticised for his efforts.
We are much better than this time last year, but I'm not convinced that Gestede and Rhodes can play together yet. I think Gestede is okay but I feel we really need somebody a little more prolific to partner Rhodes next season, maybe use Gestede as an impact sub.

I would also think we need to see another player in the Cairney mould brought in over the summer. Dunn's career is coming to and end and he is the only real replacement we have for Cairney. Cairney's injury and our recent lack of form is no coincedence.

We also need another centre-half and at least one and maybe two fullbacks.

If we get these appointments right we will be right up there next season. It might sound expensive signing four or five players, but I think if we can move another eight or nine players on over the summer, it should be do-able.

I just hope that Bowyer is allowed to make the necessary signings. The FFP rules look like they may be tweaked so that may not be a concern, at least for the moment anyway. So no excuses allowed.
Were are more stable yes but in terms of progress in the league and on the pitch none has been made, accumulated the same amount of points as we did last season at this stage when we had three different managers by this point too last season, getting beat off relegation battlers Bournemouth at home is not acceptable as getting beat off relegated Peterborough at home last season was. Off the pitch things are getting better but on the pitch things are the same or even worse if you take into account the bolton and burnley defeats.
[quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]razwoods78[/bold] wrote: As the article is about Conway, I'll stick to the headline. He has been a great signing for the fee and next season, if we could keep a fron 6 of Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Evans, Marshall and Conway (with Rochina poss returning???) then who knows. There will not be much better going forward than those. Ship Lowe to right back, manage to keep the majority of the current squad (minus Marrow, Morris, Williamson and a couple of dodgy other signings) and it is possiblewe have a good shout for a really good season. If, and only if, we do this then It will be then when I personally will judge Bowyer. As of yet, he has had too much to deal with in a season of transition to be fully praised/criticised for his efforts.[/p][/quote]We are much better than this time last year, but I'm not convinced that Gestede and Rhodes can play together yet. I think Gestede is okay but I feel we really need somebody a little more prolific to partner Rhodes next season, maybe use Gestede as an impact sub. I would also think we need to see another player in the Cairney mould brought in over the summer. Dunn's career is coming to and end and he is the only real replacement we have for Cairney. Cairney's injury and our recent lack of form is no coincedence. We also need another centre-half and at least one and maybe two fullbacks. If we get these appointments right we will be right up there next season. It might sound expensive signing four or five players, but I think if we can move another eight or nine players on over the summer, it should be do-able. I just hope that Bowyer is allowed to make the necessary signings. The FFP rules look like they may be tweaked so that may not be a concern, at least for the moment anyway. So no excuses allowed.[/p][/quote]Were are more stable yes but in terms of progress in the league and on the pitch none has been made, accumulated the same amount of points as we did last season at this stage when we had three different managers by this point too last season, getting beat off relegation battlers Bournemouth at home is not acceptable as getting beat off relegated Peterborough at home last season was. Off the pitch things are getting better but on the pitch things are the same or even worse if you take into account the bolton and burnley defeats. CJB official
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree