YOUNGSTERS are being warned again about the dangers of swimming in reservoirs after teens were spotted taking a dip in water at Sabden.

Police said they had received reports of young people heading to Churn Clough Reservoir, which is on the southern slopes of Pendle Hill, to meet up and go swimming.

The warning follows the death of 17-year-old James Goodship, from Colne, who drowned after playing on a makeshift raft with friends at Lake Burwain in Foulridge last month.

Community beat manager PC Sally Biggar put the spate down to the temperatures heating up, but warned those thinking of cooling off in reservoirs about the dangers.

She said: “The recent hot weather has encouraged some young people to head for a local Ribble Valley reservoir to congregate and swim “Reservoirs, lakes, rivers and other bodies of open water are not safe to swim in.

“Cold water, hidden debris, and underwater currents from pipework, mean that they are extremely dangerous.

“Unfortunately, every year people die or are injured whilst swimming in reservoirs. Don’t be tempted and don’t let any of your friends or family be tempted either.”

PC Biggar has also been speaking with those swimming in Churn Clough, which is a popular fishing spot, about other issues such as litter and fires.

The officer said: “The land surrounding the reservoir is private.

“Litter has been left lying around and fires have been lit, posing a threat to farm animals which may be injured by the debris left behind.”

The land is owned by water company United Utilities.

They have recently launched a new schools’ pack with Beckie Ramsay, from Chorley, whose 13-year-old son Dylan was killed three years ago when he got into difficulties while playing with friends in a quarry lake.

Mark Byard, United Utilities’ head of health and safety, said: “Every year, particularly during summer, young people are often tempted to take a dip in what appear to be safe places to swim.

“Unfortunately, reservoirs and quarry lakes are far from safe.”

Anybody with information or concerns should call police on 101 .