Smoke alarms help save lives in East Lancashire

Smoke alarms help save lives in East Lancashire

Smoke alarms help save lives in East Lancashire

First published in News Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Education reporter

FIRE crews were called out to deal with two separate incidents involving people falling asleep while cooking in East Lancashire.

Neighbours were alerted by the smoke alarm going off in a first-floor flat in Birkbeck Way, Daneshouse, Burnley, at around 9pm on Thursday.

After neighbours dialled 999, the noise made by firefighters breaking in finally woke the occupant, a 47-year-old man, who was then led to safety.

Crew manager Keith Ogden said: “There had been some food left on the grill which caused the fire, and the occupant had fallen asleep in the living room and didn’t hear the alarm.

“Thankfully, the alarm has sav- ed him because the neighbours heard it and called us.”

He said the man was suffering from smoke inhalation, but ref-used treatment by paramedics. The flat suffered smoke dam-age.

Fire crews were called to a home in Howard Close, in Accrington, after a couple fell asleep with the grill left on.

The couple, both in their 50s, were alerted by their smoke alarm just after 8pm on Thur-sday, and evacuated the prop-erty safely. Firefighters arrived soon after and ventilated the property.

A fire also broke out in a Blackburn flat in the early hours of yesterday, badly damaging the kitchen.

Firefighters said the two occ-upants of the property, in Silv-erdale Close, Highercroft, were alerted by their smoke alarm at about 2.50am.

The couple, who were both in their 20s, evacuated the ground floor flat, and were taken to hospital for precautionary ch-ecks after emergency services arrived.

A faulty fridge was suspected of sparking the blaze. There was severe smoke damage to the flat.

A smoke alarm also alerted a resident to a fire in the living room of a home, in Hodgson Street, Oswaldtwistle, at about 9.40pm, which was sparked by a candle left unattended. It dam-aged the hearth area.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:15pm Sun 13 Apr 14

AnimalReid says...

Why is it that smoke alarms are made of plastic? Everyone knows plastic gives off deadly poisonous gas when it catches fire. Let the so-called 'experts' explain that.
Why is it that smoke alarms are made of plastic? Everyone knows plastic gives off deadly poisonous gas when it catches fire. Let the so-called 'experts' explain that. AnimalReid
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Openminded? says...

I'm guessing both occupants who fell asleep whilst cooking were white and drunk?

Just throwing it out.........
I'm guessing both occupants who fell asleep whilst cooking were white and drunk? Just throwing it out......... Openminded?
  • Score: -1

4:33pm Sun 13 Apr 14

A Darener says...

AnimalReid wrote:
Why is it that smoke alarms are made of plastic? Everyone knows plastic gives off deadly poisonous gas when it catches fire. Let the so-called 'experts' explain that.
By the time a smoke alarm has caught fire you will probably need to have been out of the building to survive.
[quote][p][bold]AnimalReid[/bold] wrote: Why is it that smoke alarms are made of plastic? Everyone knows plastic gives off deadly poisonous gas when it catches fire. Let the so-called 'experts' explain that.[/p][/quote]By the time a smoke alarm has caught fire you will probably need to have been out of the building to survive. A Darener
  • Score: 2

7:15pm Sun 13 Apr 14

supertrooper says...

Openminded? wrote:
I'm guessing both occupants who fell asleep whilst cooking were white and drunk?

Just throwing it out.........
It doesn`t matter to the fire service what race they are so why does it matter to you?
[quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: I'm guessing both occupants who fell asleep whilst cooking were white and drunk? Just throwing it out.........[/p][/quote]It doesn`t matter to the fire service what race they are so why does it matter to you? supertrooper
  • Score: 1

8:31pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Darrens Delivery Service says...

I think that the fire service supply them and install them for free.

wow that is good

give your local fire station a ring.
I think that the fire service supply them and install them for free. wow that is good give your local fire station a ring. Darrens Delivery Service
  • Score: 1

11:48pm Sun 13 Apr 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

Fire brigade again I see !
Hey how are things then lads ?
Are you still enjoying playing snooker , table tennis , darts, cards , ect
Fire brigade again I see ! Hey how are things then lads ? Are you still enjoying playing snooker , table tennis , darts, cards , ect 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -4

7:58am Mon 14 Apr 14

Openminded? says...

supertrooper wrote:
Openminded? wrote:
I'm guessing both occupants who fell asleep whilst cooking were white and drunk?

Just throwing it out.........
It doesn`t matter to the fire service what race they are so why does it matter to you?
If alcohol is involved, then it does matter, the occupants become irresponsible.
[quote][p][bold]supertrooper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: I'm guessing both occupants who fell asleep whilst cooking were white and drunk? Just throwing it out.........[/p][/quote]It doesn`t matter to the fire service what race they are so why does it matter to you?[/p][/quote]If alcohol is involved, then it does matter, the occupants become irresponsible. Openminded?
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree