THE Health and Safety Executive is investigating after a workman was hospitalised after being crushed by an iron gate.

The man, believed to be in his 40s, was seriously injured at a quarry run by Marshalls Mono Ltd off Manchester Road, in Shuttleworth, Ramsbottom.

He was flown to Wythenshawe Hospital by air ambulance with back, pelvic and facial injuries.

Another man was injured at the same time, escaping with minor injuries, and was taken to Fairfield General but was discharged 24 hours later.

The health and safety watchdog has confirmed that an investigation is on-going into the incident on February 14 and a decision on whether to conduct a full inquiry is due in the coming weeks.

It’s believed that strong winds in the area at the time caused the iron gates to crush the two men.

A rapid response vehicle and two ambulances attended the scene along with the air ambulance and the fire service and police were informed.

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: “We are currently making inquiries into the incident.

“We are compiling a report and will make a decision on whether to carry out a full investigation shortly.

“If that is carried out then a decision will be made whether to prosecute.

“The current initial investigation is still at an early stage.”

A spokeswoman from Marshalls said: “One employee was taken by ambulance to Wythenshawe Hospital, but has now been transferred to North Manchester General Hospital for rehabilitation.

“The other employee was taken by ambulance to Fairfield Hospital for checks but was released the same day.

“The employees were injured whilst securing a metal gate in the unusually high winds experienced across the North West that day.

“The gate is located at the entrance to the site and weighs 660kgs.

“Marshalls is committed to the health and safety of its employees and has an excellent health and safety record.

“Marshalls very much regrets any injury to its employees and is carrying out a thorough investigation into the incident.

“Marshalls wishes those involved in this incident a speedy recovery.”