FOR the second straight season Burnley were denied a famous win at Old Trafford by a stoppage time Manchester United equaliser.

The Clarets led 2-0 thanks to a thunderous Ashley Barnes strike and Chris Wood’s header nine minutes from time.

But United rallied. They won a penalty after substitute Jesse Lingard went down after being tugged by Jeff Hendrick. Paul Pogba swept the spot kick into the top corner.

The hosts then poured forward and, in the second minute of five added on, Victor Lindelof earned a share of the spoils when he pounced after Tom Heaton had done superbly to keep out Alexis Sanchez’s header.

Burnley will feel hard done by as they surrendered a two-goall advantage for the second time in 13 months but in truth there was plenty to admire about their performance.

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer had guided United to eight straight wins since taking charge but the Clarets, for the most part, limited their hosts to few clear cut chances in a committed display.

At the other end, Sean Dyche’s side took their opportunities to forge clear in the second half.

Barnes struck a fierce first time opener after Jack Cork pickpocketed Andreas Pereria and played him in.

The frontman made no mistake, slamming his left footed effort past David De Gea and into the roof of the net, celebrating with delight in front of the Stretford End.

It was not in the Old Trafford script.

Burnley were supposed to be swatted aside but instead they doubled their lead when an unmarked Chris Wood headed home Ashley Westwood’s delivery.

United had already sent for Jesse Lingard and Alexis Sanchez off the bench but the for all their possession and play the Burnley rearguard held firm until referee Jon Moss, who just after Wood scored appeared to give United a spot kick after Rashford was checked by Mee before deciding it was outside the box, did award a penalty for Hendrick’s tug on Lingard.

Paul Pogba swept the spot kick into the top corner and suddenly United believed.

They poured forward and found an equaliser in stoppage time, just as they had last season, to take a share of the spoils.

The first half had been short on chances. Rashford missed the clearest on nine minutes. After finding Lukaku he made up the ground to latch onto a return pass and break into the box only to poke his shot past the far post. It was a let off for Burnley.

The Clarets weren’t without their moments, Phil Jones made two last ditch tackles to deny Westwood and Barnes and Burnley forced three successive corners but they weren’t able to test David De Gea.

United continued to probe at the other end with Juan Mata, finding pockets of space drifting in from the right, thwarted first by an offside flag and then a crucial Phil Bardsley challenge inside the penalty area.

Barnes sparked the second half into life and the action continued apace right up until the death and Lindelof’s leveller.

It was hard on Burnley but the Clarets are now unbeaten in five in the Premier League and can take considerable heart from this display ahead of Saturday’s home game with Southampton.

Clarets: Tom Heaton; Phil Bardsley, Ben Mee, James Tarkowski, Charlie Taylor; Jeff Hendrick, Ashley Westwood, Jack Cork, Dwight McNeil (JB Gudmundsson); Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes.

Subs not used: Joe Hart, Ben Gibson, Stephen Ward, Josh Benson, Sam Vokes, Matej Vydra

Booked: Barnes, Taylor, Cork

Man United: David De Gea, Ashley Young, Victor Lindelof, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw; Nemanja Matic, Paul Pogba, Andreas Pereira (Lingard 63); Juan Mata, Romelu Lukaku (Sanchez 66), Marcus Rashford

Subs not used: Sergio Romero, Diogo Dalot, Chris Smalling, Fred, Ander Herrera.

Referee: Jon Moss

Attendance: 74,529