SCOTT Brown has been involved in three promotions, but if Accrington Stanley could take his tally to four the midfielder says it would top the lot.

The Reds go into tomorrow’s home game with struggling Forest Green Rovers a point clear at the League Two summit, after toppling Luton last weekend.

The Hatters had to come back from behind to draw their midweek game at Coventry City to stay second, meaning that for the first time this season Stanley are the hunted, rather than the hunter.

“We’ve always been playing catch-up from the start of the season, we’ve got our noses in front now and it’s just about staying there,” said Brown, who was involved in promotion seasons for Bristol City, Fleetwood Town and Grimsby.

“Luton got a draw on Tuesday when they were getting beat for most of the game. But the pressure’s on us to stay where we are.

“There are a few older lads in there with experience who can help the younger lads if they are feeling a little bit tense or scared. It’s only a game of football at the end of the day. We’ve just got to keep doing what we’ve been doing all season and hopefully we’ll get over the line.”

Brown’s calmness stems not only from experience, but also gratitude.

For after a freak leg break in his early 20s there was a time when he doubted whether he would walk properly again, let alone be challenging for titles.

Brown was playing his first game after making a permanent move to Cheltenham from first club Bristol City in January 2007 when he was taken out by his own team-mate when they both went for a shot.

“It was a double leg fracture, and I dislocated my ankle. I went straight to the hospital and once I got there the surgeon looked at me and said ‘you’ll be lucky if you even walk again properly, let alone play football’.

“But 18 months later I was back on the pitch.”

He owes his recovery to Dr Alistair Smith and physio Ian Weston, who are both now part of Forest Green Rovers’ backroom team.

“They are dedicated and the best types of people you can work with in football,” said Brown.

“Wezza used to come and pick me up every day after the injury and take me into training. If it wasn’t for his rehab I probably wouldn’t be playing today.

“Mentally it’s really hard being out for that amount of time and there were loads of complications with it. There were weeks where I was thinking ‘I’m not going to get back’. I was walking with a limp. But Wezza stuck with me and gradually got me back playing.

“I had to adapt my game, I was a wing back then but I had to adapt to playing a more central role, and that’s stood me in good stead.

“I still speak to Wezza most weeks, just about football - how they’re getting on, how we’re getting on. He’s a top man and I’ve got a lot to thank him for.

“Every time I see him I always say thank you.”