JOHN Coleman admitted it was getting twitchy on the bench as the Reds notched up seven-and-a-half hours without a goal and were staring at a fifth successive league defeat.

The board went up with four minutes of added time and what happened next could prove to be the biggest turning point in Stanley’s season so far.


Last month, the Reds were occupying seventh spot in the league and looking at mounting another promotion challenge.

Suddenly at 4.45pm on Saturday, they were looking at avoiding dropping into the bottom two.

But cometh the hour cometh the man and it was Rommy Boco to the rescue.

The former Benin captain had scored vital late goals against Blackpool to secure a much-needed win in mid-October as Stanley were once again on an indifferent run.

But this one could prove even more crucial as a long ball forward was leapt for by two Yeovil defenders and sub Gary Taylor-Fletcher and it fell to Boco in the area.

Coleman admitted there was no one else he would have wanted in that position than ‘ice cool’ Boco and the fans favourite duly obliged by tucking home a vital equaliser.

It wasn’t the home three points Coleman wanted but Boco’s goal was celebrated like a win as the relief around the ground and in the dressing room was palpable.

It had looked so nervous before. Coleman had dropped defender Omar Beckles for the first time this season with Mark Hughes and Matty Pearson at the heart of the Stanley defence.

Yeovil came to Stanley in-form having notched up six league games without defeat and they are on the fringes of the play-off places.

They started strongly with frontman Otis Khan beating the off-side trap and charging forwards but his shot was blocked by the Stanley defence on 14 minutes.

There wasn’t much in the first half after that with a Shay McCartan free kick turned around the post by Artur Krysiak and John O’Sullivan tried his luck from 20 yards and he was only inches away from the top corner.

The game was stopped on 38 minutes when right back Zak Vyner, on loan from Bristol City, went down clutching his chest. He was sat up but breathing heavily and he was stretchered off and taken to hospital. It was late diagnosed as an asthma attack.

There were still chances before the break with Mark Hughes sending a free header over the bar and Elliot Parish denying Tom Eaves with his feet.

Coleman was dismayed with the decision to award a free kick on 51 minutes for Paddy Lacey pulling a Yeovil shirt and he was doubly furious when Khan’s 20-yard set piece drove through the area and nestled into the far corner of Parish’s net to give the Glovers the lead. It felt like déjà vu with Stanley having lost their previous home games against Newport and Stevenage in a similar fashion.

Ryan Hedges almost doubled Yeovil’s advantage but his effort was just wide and then, on the hour mark, came on Boco.

Boco did have the ball in the net early on but was ruled off-side while both sides looked for the vital goal.

Jordan Clark fired wide for Stanley before the board went up, Boco scored and the Stanley fans went mad.

Boco admits he is more than happy to be used as a substitute these days as his body would struggle to cope with 46 plus games a season.

He doesn’t want the ‘super sub’ tag but is more than happy to come on and play his part.

And his ‘part ‘ is now vital as he is Stanley’s top scorer with seven goals so far in this campaign.