BILLY Kee’s 50th Accrington Stanley goal wasn’t enough as a late rally from Stevenage saw the Reds lose 3-2 in a match that they had dominated.

Stanley made a quick start and got their reward when Jordan Clark fired them ahead.

Two goals in three frantic second-half minutes saw Stevenage level through Matt Godden before Kee’s penalty restored the Reds lead.

A late Godden header appeared to have earned the home side a point .

But as Stanley pushed for a winner they were stunned when the hosts launched a lightning counter-attack that saw Ben Kennedy strike an 89th minute winner beyond Reds keeper Aaron Chapman.

It was the visitors that saw most of the ball early on, zipping it around the wet outfield of the Lamex and they landed the first effort on target as Sean McConville pounced on a loose ball but hit his half volley straight at Joe Fryer.

Stanley continued to create chances as McConville and Seamus Conneely tested Fryer and the early pressure told in the 20th minute when Clark capped a fine move to drill the Reds ahead.

Liam Nolan picked up the ball in a deep position before driving at the Stevenage defence. He laid it off to Clark who took a couple of touches and unleashed a crisp low shot past Fryer.

Stevenage grew into the game as the half progressed but were being kept at arms length by an organised Stanley back four, the only threat to Chapman’s goal coming from Joe Martin’s long-range drive which flew comfortably over the bar.

John Coleman’s side started the second-half as they did the first, with plenty of possession and a well-worked free-kick routine between McConville and goal scorer Clark almost caught the hosts out, but Jonathan Smith got a last-ditch boot on the ball to clear the danger for his side.

Down the opposite end there were chances for Tom Pett and Godden as Darren Sarll’s men searched for a way back into the game.

They found it on the hour when Godden was released on the edge of the area and advanced before slotting a low shot underneath Chapman.

Stanley’s response was instant. The lively Kayden Jackson raced into the penalty area and was sent tumbling.

Kee stepped-up to restore the lead and notch his half century for the club when his penalty squirmed under the body of Fryer who thought he’d done enough to stop it.

Stevenage equalised with six minutes remaining as Godden rose highest inside the area to send a header beyond Chapman into the top corner.

And with two minutes remaining, as Accrington searched for a winner, they were stung by a counter-attack that saw Kennedy slam home a dramatic decider.