ACCRINGTON Stanley took their first steps towards converting potential into points with an excellent 2-0 win at Notts County.

After a faltering start in League Two, a goal in either half secured a first league win since the opening day and a first away victory of the new campaign.

John Coleman’s side took on a Notts team unbeaten in four but struggling at home and looked to capitalise on some uncertainty early on when Billy Kee, looking for a fourth goal in as many games, lashed a shot over the bar.

It was the Reds who took the lead after just 16 minutes, with the dangerous Jordan Clark picking out John O’Sullivan on the right flank. The Blackburn loanee let fly, only to see his strike loop up off Carl Dickinson and over goalkeeper Adam Collin. Defender Louis Lang did his best to hook the ball off the line but the assistant referee flagged to give O’Sullivan a first goal since his return to the Wham Stadium.

John Sheridan’s County almost hit back straight away, with Stanley thankful to goalkeeper Aaron Chapman who parried Jonathan Forte’s angled drive superbly.

Largely Stanley were in charge though and should perhaps have been further ahead when Omar Beckles could only guide a free header from Sean McConville’s cross wide and Kee and McConville seemed to get in each other’s way as the former headed a Seamus Conneely delivery off target.

Clark had two half chances to add to the lead before the break but couldn’t capitalise on a defensive error by Thierry Audel or a good delivery by O’Sullivan.

With their noses in front the emphasis after the break switched to keeping County out, with the home side redoubling their efforts to find a leveller. A 15 minute spell of Notts pressure saw the Reds on the back foot, with Matty Pearson blocking bravely from Forte and Chapman holding onto a Laing volley.

When injury forced O’Sullivan off just before the hour the Reds introduced Rommy Boco to support Kee, with Clark switching wide. Stanley legend Boco needed just eight minutes to add a second, and ultimately decisive, goal.

It was a solo moment to savour for the 31-year-old who burst down the left channel and away from the defence, into the County box and unerringly finish past Collin for his second goal of the season.

Pressure lifted, the Reds looked like they could again extend their lead with McConville’s drive turned around the post by Collin and the keeper unable to hold onto a vicious low free kick from Kee.

A first league clean sheet of the campaign was now also a priority though Laing did his best to breach the Stanley goal with a surge forward and shot from distance just wide of the target.

Ultimately Chapman was required to keep the County score to nil with a fine save six minutes from time. Adam Campbell picked out Audel in the area, he chested the ball down and volleyed, with Chapman getting down to push the ball away.

In the end it was a comfortable win and a sign that Coleman’s feeling that his group of players have what it takes to be successful could well be correct.