For this crackerjack game was littered with moments of quality and shambolic defending in even quantities but, at the end of the day, Stanley got the result they needed.

Not for the first time this season, Stanley were their own worst enemy at the back but, thankfully, their forward line looks capable of scoring against anyone.

And the first goal arrived after just 25 seconds thanks to the charity of Alex John-Baptiste.

A long punt over the top caused confusion between Baptiste and Stags keeper Jason White.

Neither man took responsibilty and Baptiste's attempted backpass flew past a perplexed White and Mullin had the simple task of beating the red-faced Baptiste to the ball and sliding it home from two yards for his eighth league goal of the campaign.

It gave Stanley the early impetus and a foundation on which to build.

Mullin went close with a header from a corner after 11 minutes as the Reds bossed proceedings.

Then the influential Stags play-maker Giles Coke was forced off with an injury midway through the first half after hurting himself felling Rommy Boco.

And from the resulting free-kick, Shaun Whalley's effort thudded off the right post from 20 yards out with White beaten and the ball bounced across goal before the danger was cleared.

But as the Stanley faithful began to dream of the three points, the Reds defensive gremlins awoke and handed Mansfield an undeserved equaliser on 32 minutes.

Rob Elliot's punch from Matthew Hamshaw's free-kick was less than convincing and after a bit of penalty box pinball the ball arrived at the feet of Barry Conlon who fired the ball home.

And another defensive blunder saw the Stags take the lead two minutes before the break. Mansfield broke and with no one picking up the midfield marauders, Matthew Hamshaw slid the ball into Stephen Dawson and he had the time and space to make it 2-1.

Dawson went uncomfortably close to a third just after the re-start when his free-kick from the edge of the area whizzed through the Stanley wall and just wide.

But Stanley showed they were still a threat moments later as Paul Mullin ploughed forward and got the ball to David Brown whose snapshot skidded wide.

But the Reds seemed determined to shoot themselves in the foot as Edwards rolled the ball back to Elliot, who picked up a knock in a clash with Martin Gritton, to clear and his attempted clearance rebounded off a Stags striker and back into his arms But as bad as Stanley were defensively, they were still good going forward.

Todd swung a fantastic ball right across the six-yards box but Mullin couldn't get on the end of it and then Whalley smacked a shot straight at White.

But the Stanley equaliser on the hour came from the cultured right boot of centre half of Michael Welch.

Harris was fouled on the edge of the area and Welch put the ball down, took a huge run up before delicately curling a great shot into the corner, via White's out-stretched hand.

And Whalley picked an opportune moment to open his account with seven minutes left.

The former Witton Albion man surged down the left, cut inside before unleashing a magnificent shot that sailed past White.

For a change, Coleman's post-match pint will have tasted so sweet.