National League North

Play-Off final

Chorley 1

Spennymoor 1

(aet - Chorley win 4-3 on pens)

MATTY Urwin was the penalty-hero for the Magpies for the second play-off game running as Chorley booked their place in the National League.

Chants of “Chorley, Chorley, Chorley” rang through the terraces as fans invaded the pitch to celebrate with their heroes.

The Magpies deserved promotion after all their huge efforts this season.

Elliott Newby put the pressure on the last penalty taker Andrew Johnson whose effort was saved by Urwin - one of three made by the Chorley stopper in the shoot-out.

Jamie Vermiglio named an unchanged line-up from their penalty shoot-out victory against Altrincham and the Magpies included two of their players in the starting line-up who featured in the league team of the year - Andy Teague and Alex Newby - while Spennymoor’s side included their sole representative; the league’s top scorer Glen Taylor.

It was lively start for both teams with Urwin coming to collect a dangerous cross into the box then, at the other end, Teague’s searching cross was headed just wide by Blakeman at the back post after three minutes.

Urwin came to the rescue for the Magpies when Spennymoor got in down the Chorley left after six minutes.

Spennymoor came closest to breaking the deadlock when Taylor flicked the ball to Robert Ramshaw who just could not rise high enough to direct it goalwards on 14 minutes.

The Magpies appeared to have ride the early storm and grew in confidence as the half wore on.

Cottrell breaking forward has a great chance but his attempted shot went wide.

The Magpies showed greater enterprise with Cottrell bursting forward from midfield but the final pass was just lacking for Chorley.

On the half hour, the home side were almost caught out at other end but a shot by Ryan Hall was blazed over the bar.

The home supporters were brought to life with a couple of tasty challenges in midfield and Jake Cottrell was winning his individual battle while the Newby brothers, Alex and Elliott, was causing problems on the break.

Chorley were in the ascendancy towards the end of the half with chances for Josh Wilson from a corner and then Marcus Carver linked up well with Alex Newby.

Adam Blakeman whipped in a dangerous cross into the box but Glen Taylor came to the rescue to head over his own bar for the visitors with five minutes left of the first half.

Chorley had the ball in the back of the net but Courtney Mappen-Walter’s effort was ruled out for offside.

Carver then had a chance but it was well-saved by the Spennymoor keeper Matt Gould.

The second half started like the first ended with the Magpies getting forward with Elliot Newby causing problems on the left.

Urwin rescued the Magpies as Spennymoor broke on the counter-attack as he saved a shot by Hall.

Gould then had to make a great save to deny Chorley an opener when Mappen-Walter’s shot was diverted towards goal by Alex Newby but it was stopped by the keeper.

On the hour-mark, Wilson chased down a long ball and then he wiggled free but Spennymoor managed to clear it.

Mappen-Walter had best chance of the half but his free-kick just went over the bar.

Chorley were showing all the enterprise in second half with Alex Newby linking up well with Carver. Tempers starting to flare as the visitors were rattled as Carver led the line well and won a free-kick with 15 minutes remaining.

Scott Leather went agonisingly close but he did not connect to a ball in the box and it was saved by Gould.

Chorley substitute, Louis Almond, almost had dream opening but he fired over the bar after latching on to a ball in to the box.

Chorley fans were wondering how they were not ahead as Blakeman’s free-kick had keeper Gould scrambling across his line as it sailed wide with four minutes left.

With seconds left, Chorley had great chance to win it when Blakeman’s ball forward was dinked over the bar by Carver.

In extra-time, Chorley continued to push for a winner and the fresh legs of Almond were causing all sorts of problems for the Spennymoor defence and he won a free-kick in front of goal.

Gould had to make a great save from Blakeman but from the corner, Scott Leather sent Victory Park into raptures by putting them ahead.

But on the stroke of half time in extra-time, the league’s top scorer Taylor equalised.

Carver had a great chance in the second half of extra time but the referee awarded a free-kick.

Despite plenty of chances the game went to the dreaded penalties.

It was a nervy shoot-out but Mappen-Walter, Josh O’Keefe, Carver and Elliot Newby were the heroes alongside Urwin who made three saves.

CHORLEY: Urwin, Challoner, Blakeman, Teague, Leather, Mappen-Walter, Newby A, Cottrell, Carver, Wilson (Almond 83), Newby. Subs: Almond, O’Keefe, Anson, Jordan, Hooper.