CHORLEY were stunned by a 94th minute Glen Taylor header at Spennymoor as a 1-0 defeat took the destiny of the National League North title out of their hands.

The home side bossed the first half, creating numerous chances against an unchanged, leggy-looking Magpies.

Shooting down the very steep bank at Brewery Field, the hosts forced corner after corner in the first 20 minutes, but Matt Urwin was only called into action once, when Courtney Meppen-Walter’s mistake gave Ryan Hall a sight at goal.

Much better opportunities followed, chiefly when three came and went in the space of 10 seconds. The first effort by Rob Ramshaw was blocked, Taylor’s rebound was saved brilliantly by Urwin, before Stephen Brogan hit the post which allowed Andy Teague to clear.

The visitors began the second half in much better fashion and Josh Wilson almost found the opening goal but headed wide from Adam Blakeman.

However, slowly but surely, Spennymoor came into the game again. Hall turned the burners on to beat Scott Leather but he couldn’t find a way past Urwin, before Taylor’s acrobatic effort struck the inside of Urwin’s post.

Then, with nine minutes to go, the pivotal moment of the match. Marcus Carver fell under pressure from Kris Thackray and referee Tom Parsons pointed to the spot but Blakeman’s effort found the gloves of Matt Gould.

All that was left was for Brogan’s inswinging corner to find the head of the league’s top scorer, unmarked in the six yard box.

Elsewhere, Colne are in to the play-off places in Evo Stik West thanks to a 3-0 derby win over Clitheroe.

Mamadou Dhabi gave the Reds a 15th minute lead before second half goals from Billy Priestley and Oliver Wood sealed victory for Steve Cunningham's side.

Colne climb above Runcorn Linnets in to fifth place after they lost 2-0 at home to Widnes. Ramsbottom United remain fourth after they earned a 0-0 draw at second-placed Radcliffe.

In the Hallmark Security League Premier Division, Barnoldswick were beaten 2-0 at home by Silsden and Padiham lost by the same scoreline to Ashton Athletic at the Arbories.

In First Division North, Jheeta Taranjeet was on target for Nelson in a 1-1 draw with Steeton. AFC Darwen lost 1-0 at Prestwich Heys.